Talk

Advanced search

To tell you how dangerous Oven Pride is!

(119 Posts)
DinoEggz Wed 17-Jul-19 11:15:06

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/woman-suffers-burns-from-oven-cleaner-1-6154504

In the local paper: a woman splashed a tiny drop of Oven Pride on her arm and needed skin grafts after it ate away her flesh. I actually had some of this in the cupboard! It’s now in the bin. AIBU to think it shouldn’t be on sale if it’s so highly corrosive?

DinoEggz Wed 17-Jul-19 11:16:44

www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news/woman-suffers-burns-from-oven-cleaner-1-6154504

PookieDo Wed 17-Jul-19 11:17:54

I knew it was they tell you all over the box how dangerous it is! But I can see how it is easy to get one splash on you and not realise

I use the Elbow grease degreaser thing or fairy power spray anyway as oven pride stinks and is horrible

AguerosAngel Wed 17-Jul-19 11:19:57

I used to work for the company that made Oven Pride (don’t know if they still do).

There are very, very specific instructions for its use as it’s essentially just caustic soda, and the instructions do warn against getting it in your skin as it will, of course, burn.

Shahlalala Wed 17-Jul-19 11:21:55

YANBU

If it was used within the guidelines, many don’t even follow guidelines.

It is scary something so dangerous is so readily available. Nevermind people using it genuinely, what about those with ulterior motives.

DogbertDogglesworth Wed 17-Jul-19 11:21:57

I use oven pride regularly. I've had the odd small splash here and there on my arms, but with no ill effects.
I always use rubber washing up gloves rather than the gloves supplied with it, and when washing it off the oven I always wear a long sleeved top tucked into them.
Too many people don't bother to read or follow instructions.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Wed 17-Jul-19 11:22:55

I'm quite clumsy so don't use this kind of product as I will likely get it on myself.
When I have done, I've tried to follow first aid instructions which have minimized the burns.

It isn't just oven pride, I don't think. Quite a few oven cleaners contain caustic soda.

Pootles34 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:24:34

It does burn, yes, but so does boiling water from a kettle, ovens, etc, and we all use those.

Just be sensible and you'll be fine.

DinoEggz Wed 17-Jul-19 11:25:18

I’d assume that if I splashed myself with a cleaning product I could rinse it off quickly with no ill effects, or maybe a minor burn at most. But a skin graft from being accidentally splashed with a single drop is ridiculous. If it can cause that level of damage it should be banned.

Fibbke Wed 17-Jul-19 11:26:27

Its caustic soda, of course it will burn. It does a good job though. People beiing idiotic and not reading instructions is why it is hard to buy stuff like this anymore.

freshasthebrightbluesky Wed 17-Jul-19 11:26:43

I haven't read the article but is the woman after some compensation?

Cheeserton Wed 17-Jul-19 11:28:47

YABU. One shouldn't drink bleach either. Of course it's dangerous - it's all over the packet, like all oven cleaners.

Fibbke Wed 17-Jul-19 11:30:08

Tbh im sure i must have accidentally touched oven pride as I use it a lot. No skin grafts here.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Wed 17-Jul-19 11:31:15

I would really prefer we didn't ban caustic soda.
It's so useful for cleaning drains.

Lots of cleaning products can be dangerous.
You shouldn't mix bleach and detergents for example.

It's important to read packets or if you can't due to language or LD issues it's important to either phone the advice line or ask for help from a carer.

In other places you can buy lye, sulphuric acid and all sorts in the cleaning aisle. It's already too much of a nanny state here.

I've saved money on plumber call out fees being able to use caustic soda.
But I know I'm not able to use it in oven cleaning because I don't have the skill set.

I don't think it's possible to eliminate the possibility of any and all accidents by banning all potentially dangerous products.

itscallednickingbentcoppers Wed 17-Jul-19 11:31:35

I won't have it in the house after I used it before and the smell and faff trying not to burn anyone (pets and kids) when using it. I use Astonish paste now, it does a good job and isn't harsh.

MonkeyTrap Wed 17-Jul-19 11:31:48

It does might it quite clear on the box...

magicstar1 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:32:25

YABU there are warnings all over it!

Alsohuman Wed 17-Jul-19 11:32:43

The box is plastered with warnings. It’s the only really effective oven cleaner I’ve ever used, I’ll be mightily pissed off if it’s taken off the market because people are stupid with it.

Screamanger Wed 17-Jul-19 11:35:40

* If it can cause that level of damage it should be banned.*

All you have to do is read the box. If you want it banned then you should probably ask for drain cleaner to be banned too as that stuff will do you serious harm.

user1494670108 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:35:48

I splashed a bit through onto my sock last year and had the mark on my foot for many months.
However, it is brilliant stuff and there are many warnings on the box so I think that rather like the advice not to mix bleach and cleaning products because of fumes, awareness is key

Oulidae Wed 17-Jul-19 11:36:00

Yabu, you use highly corrosive cleaning fluids at your own risk in my opinion. Warnings are all over the packaging telling you how dangerous these fluids can be if they come into contact with your skin. So surely it is common sense to wear protective clothing covering all skin that could come into contact with it?
You can't ban every single item that has a small risk of causing someone harm.

IVEgottheDECAF Wed 17-Jul-19 11:37:58

Ive also used this plenty of times (following instructions) and have had the odd splash which has hurt but been ok after rinsing. I dont really get how she got so much on her arm

PineappleSeahorse Wed 17-Jul-19 11:39:26

There's no way that was one tiny drop.

quietcontentment Wed 17-Jul-19 11:40:58

The warnings are all over the box OP, I have used it many times and have always used caution because it is very corrosive. I will also continue to use it as I read the box and follow their advice as to how to use it safely.

It should not be banned as it clearly states how dangerous it can be and it provides very clear instructions.

Oulidae Wed 17-Jul-19 11:41:11

I'd like to see a proper investigation into how much that lady actually got on her arm too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »