Talk

Advanced search

To want to shout "I'm WORKING from home."

(55 Posts)
DreamingofSummer Wed 17-Jul-19 10:38:18

I WORK from home. My office is in a converted garage.

This does not mean I am AT home and, therefore, available for random, "only take a few minutes" jobs like watering the plants, nipping down to the shops and taking grandkids to sports practice. I'm WORKING.

It's great not having to commute any more but I do miss being unavailable.

IAmNotAWitch Thu 18-Jul-19 01:30:28

Same, my kids are capable of understanding that while I am available for emergencies I am not really 'there' during work hours.

So if my kids are capable of understanding this, why is it so hard for other people?

The kids have the option of holiday club or chilling at home, they usually prefer to chill at home, on the understanding that they only stick their heads around the door if they really need me (and also to bring me coffee).

Trickyteens Thu 18-Jul-19 01:07:25

I used to get people wondering why I needed a nanny when wfm.

BackforGood Thu 18-Jul-19 00:36:52

I agree with Breakfast on P1 - it makes a difference if you refer to the place(in your home) where you work, as 'your office'.
If you have a particular person or people that are constantly trying to get you to do things, then, put a blanket ban on answering their calls or agreeing to do anything during working hours until they 'get it'.
Don't answer the land line or your personal mobile or any personal e-mails during working hours.
I LOVE working from home and get much more done, and am happy to answer the door / take parcels in etc, BUT I don't have anyone who doesn't understand that I do actually work on my working days.

bingbongnoise Thu 18-Jul-19 00:18:38

@namechangeninjaevervigilant

I don’t get the problem here. If you set up a message on your voicemail. “X is currently unavailable, X will call you back outside of office hours ‘ and screen calls. Don’t answer the door. If someone in the house interrupts tell them you’ll do it when you’ve finished work. If you set boundaries people will stop asking.

This. I work from home 60-70% of the time, and I don't answer the door unless I am expecting a package or a visitor/tradesman etc. And I do not answer the phone.

People who don't work (and are SAHM/homemakers/retired,) also get some people assuming they are doing fuck-all every day. A pal of mine retired early 2 years ago (aged 50,) due to a chronic health issue, and once people found this out, some of them started to assume that she was there for babysitting/childminding, picking up kids from school, and for popping to the shops to get 'bits of shopping,' and to pay bills etc.

In addition to all that, they assumed she was available (at ANYTIME) to take people to the doctor, dentist, optician, etc, and to give people lifts to hospital (2 hour round-trip, plus 2-3 hours there at the hospital, so it basically took the whole day,) and just generally running around for them, and thinking they should let them in and let them stay 3 hours, when they 'pop in...'

Very annoying.

namechangeninjaevervigilant Wed 17-Jul-19 23:51:12

I don’t get the problem here. If you are wfh set up a message on your voicemail. “X is currently unavailable, X will call you back outside of office hours ‘ and screen calls. Don’t answer the door. If someone in the house interrupts tell them you’ll do it when you’ve finished work. If you set boundaries people will stop asking.

cryer Wed 17-Jul-19 23:48:13

I started telling people I had rented an office space. For some reason if I'm away at work my family leave me alone. If I'm at home they can't understand why I won't respond to texts and go out for lunch.

groundanchochillipowder Wed 17-Jul-19 23:31:41

You need to be more direct and blunt, 'I can't do that, I am working' no beating about the bush or apologising. Screen calls, don't answer the door (or get Ring and tell them you're not in at the door).

Gottalovesummer Wed 17-Jul-19 23:26:09

contact ah thank you x

rosesandcashmere Wed 17-Jul-19 23:24:05

I actually asked the mother of the kids who repeatedly screech outside my window (I can guess why they don't screech outside their own) to get them to play outside their own house because I was working - at 4pm. I wanted a window open. She looked very confused. I closed the windows and it didn't help. I may invest in a hose...

Giraffey1 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:13:34

I get this too. I don’t answer the landline any more during the day when I’m working from home because I got fed up with taking calls for the H. And calls from the H, too, come to that. People just wouldn’t take the hint!

ContactLight Wed 17-Jul-19 23:11:41

Kudos #Gottalovesummer I am in awe of childminders smile

Gottalovesummer Wed 17-Jul-19 22:59:48

I GET this

My friends are always saying "you must get so much done working from home"

Would love to see them getting "so much done" working 7.30am to 6pm looking after 9 children over the course of the day (breakfast club/school drop off/toddlers in the day time/school pick up and after school club plus cooking dinner for them)(I'm a child minder)

I'm fucking working. I get NOTHING done !

Pipandmum Wed 17-Jul-19 22:58:05

Don’t answer the door and screen your calls.

PookieDo Wed 17-Jul-19 22:56:20

I majorly failed at WFH today. I am usually good at it. I started off well at 8.30am but by 2pm the day was fucked and I ended up in bed with a migraine

I now feel I need to make all the time up on Saturday AM sad

HateIsNotGood Wed 17-Jul-19 22:52:24

Yep I hear you OP - so just because I might get up at 5 am and WORK in my PJs until I need to sort out the younger Hate and work some more, then take a break - and watch Judge Judy (sometimes) - then work and do everything else that needs doing, work some more, etc, etc, etc - and might even finally stop (around now).....

Just because I'm always at home - it doesn't mean I don't work, it's how I pay my mortgage fucking neighbours who comment that I'm always home. Glad to get that off my chest smile

buttertoasty Wed 17-Jul-19 22:42:05

Yes yes and yes again.

No I can't take you to appointments or accommodate you coming round for lunch, I am at home but WORKING

Chickydoo Wed 17-Jul-19 22:37:00

Totally get this Op

NeverSayFreelance Wed 17-Jul-19 22:31:09

Oh god yes. I found this whilst I was studying. Yes I am at home but I am writing a dissertation. I am chained 9-5 to my laptop. No I can't just do random tasks or go help family members. I am WORKING.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 17-Jul-19 22:28:35

Just try some CBD op you will be much calmer when people disturb you while you are working.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Wed 17-Jul-19 22:25:44

I hear you! There is no cure except rudeness- you can politely explain all you want, but nothing gets through like "No I can't, whatever it is that you were about to ask me, because I'm BLOODY WORKING!"

You need to screen your calls and lock your office door, then be really ruthless about not even chatting for a minute if people turn up at your door. Practice asking people to phone back or call round after working hours and stubbornly refuse to deviate from the rules. Perhaps tell them how much it will cost you in lost income to do their chores for them.

I'm actually very envious of your office- I work from home and since my office was needed for an extra bedroom, I now have to work in the living room. It's fine most of the time, but today I've been faffing with VAT paperwork and projections and other official annoyances, while all four children were competing to outdo each other in whining, fighting and generally annoying me!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 17-Jul-19 21:51:00

You need to refer to wherever you work at home - be it the spare room, kitchen table, or desk under the stairs - as The Office.
"I can't pop down the shops, I'm in the office"
"I can't take your child to school, I'm just leaving for the office"

PumpkinPie2016 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:43:43

I don't work from home but YANBU - you are still working, it doesn't matter that you don't physically 'go out' to work.

My husband does part time, freelance work and so there are days/times when he hasn't got anything on. The number of people who therefore think he is available to do any random task for them is quite unbelievable.

In actual fact, in those days, he is taking care of his mother/elderly uncle and until recently, an elderly aunt. All of whom live in their own homes and need support to do so which is partly why he chose to do freelance part time work!

AmIRightOrAMeringue Wed 17-Jul-19 21:15:42

I get calls from the office if I wfh...are the kids there? No of course not they're at nursery because I'm working! Oh sorry to disturb you when you're at home! YOURE NOT DISTURBING ME IM WORKING!

JesusInTheCabbageVan Wed 17-Jul-19 21:09:01

Postman once delivered a random dog she'd found, expecting me to find the owner confused It didn't have a collar or anything - I was meant to knock on doors apparently.

forkfun Wed 17-Jul-19 10:49:32

I'm in a surprising number of Skype meetings, thus totally unavailable, even though I'm at home. If anyone would bother to add up all my imaginary meetings, they would realise I'm lying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »