Talk

Advanced search

To not want to spend an absolute fortune on my child’s hobby

(46 Posts)
Spaghettilegga Tue 16-Jul-19 20:39:17

My daughter is 10 and plays the viola reasonably well. She enjoys it (but doesn’t necessarily want to do all the grades which we are fine with). Her current viola teacher provides a viola for her to practise and perform with, but sadly, he is going back to his native country next week. We do have a new well-recommended teacher lined up to take over BUT he doesn’t supply a viola ... so we have to buy one. Again, we are fine with this BUT don’t want to spend an actual fortune. Does anyone know (and recommend) any second hand music stores that sell violas in central London? Or, are we going to have to bite the bullet and buy a brand new one? I am prepared to be told IABU to not want to do this ... If I am, could anyone suggest any music stores in London that aren’t too shocking with prices?

BentBaastard Tue 16-Jul-19 20:42:17

Google viola hire.

Loads of options

autumneve Tue 16-Jul-19 20:42:52

Have you discussed it with the new teacher? Or even your old one?

Get ideas for the make etc and try hunting down one on gumtree or eBay. At least, hopefully, if you buy the 'wrong' one then you can resell it on.

Ylvamoon Tue 16-Jul-19 20:43:36

eBay? It might need some TLC, but there are plenty to choose from. Maybe have a chat with the music teacher for advice / help.

LolaSmiles Tue 16-Jul-19 20:43:41

Can you not contact your local music service or music hub (if one still exists in your area)? Often they will loan instruments year on year for a reasonable fee.

You've been very lucky that one has been provided so far. I don't think a musician sourcing their own instrument is an unreasonable cost for their hobby.

Disfordarkchocolate Tue 16-Jul-19 20:44:38

Does the old teacher need to sell any when he moves?

LemonGingerCakes Tue 16-Jul-19 20:45:19

1 hire

2 get a cheaper (stentor or the like) and get it properly set up by a luthier.

It doesn’t have to cost a fortune.

Kazplus2 Tue 16-Jul-19 20:46:44

Gumtree or e at. Easy as!!!

saraclara Tue 16-Jul-19 20:47:58

Stringed instruments don't cost a fortune at all. They're the cheapest instruments to buy and play.

www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Student-Full-Size-Violin-by-Gear4music/5F3?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw67XpBRBqEiwA5RCocehRn7tiMJrnxv1hLqD13sSslNcrqufKh0eRfW4dZVuEP-a0GLLl4RoC0zwQAvD_BwE

Spaghettilegga Tue 16-Jul-19 20:49:38

We did look at hiring but my daughter is pleading to have her own . Don’t get me wrong - I wouldn’t give into any whim , but having your own instrument is something special I guess. Will look at eBay etc ... was just wondering if anyone had any dealings with any shops in London. Thank you 😊

LemonGingerCakes Tue 16-Jul-19 20:51:57

What price range are you looking at?

ZeldaPrincessOfHyrule Tue 16-Jul-19 20:53:49

As far as I know from my DS's violin teacher, and a good friend of mine who plays the viola, you're best waiting until she's old/big enough to play a full size before you buy one outright. I'm fine not purchasing anything until then, we're lucky in that we can hire from the local music service.

NorthernBirdAtHeart Tue 16-Jul-19 20:53:54

I second gear4music.com. I’ve bought guitars, a trumpet and violin from there. Their customer service and returns policy are great.

Lougle Tue 16-Jul-19 20:54:44

Try Facebook market place. I've done a cursory search and found at least 30 violas - I stopped looking after that.

EssentialHummus Tue 16-Jul-19 20:56:53

If she enjoys it and is reasonably committed I think you should buy one tbh. Must be useful for practicing too, no?

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 16-Jul-19 20:57:33

Any of new teachers pupils want to sell one on?
My sister got a piccolo from someone in my year at school that was upgrading

itsabongthing Tue 16-Jul-19 20:59:59

Many places do Hire purchase and it would be a brand new one that if you decided to keep they would knock off the rental you pay.

But really, normally teachers advise on instruments? Your teacher would be the best person to advise on good shops locally.
My cello teacher even came with me to help me choose, but that was to get a full sized one when the time came - which I still have now.

So I agree that second hand or hiring is probably best until she needs a full size

horseymum Tue 16-Jul-19 21:02:16

Go over to the extra curricular section where there is a music thread, loads of experienced string folk there. There will be reasonably-priced violas available I'm sure if renting doesn't work out. I hope she keeps it up with new teacher, viola players are always in demand!

LittleFairywren Tue 16-Jul-19 21:05:12

Denmark street in London is a street full of music shops selling all kind of instruments. I'm sure you'd find something there.

Spaghettilegga Tue 16-Jul-19 21:06:12

Thanks all! The one who is leaving has tried to advise ... but has directed me to violas that are costing about 1000 pounds! I’ve never heard of the gear4music site... it’s almost too good to be true!!! Good to hear they come recommended .

GU24Mum Tue 16-Jul-19 21:09:53

I bought DD's violins from Cardiff Violins (haven't been to the shop but they send them) - I've bought reconditioned ones both times and the teacher thought they were pretty good for the money. Now she's given up, I'm hoping to sell them back!

stucknoue Tue 16-Jul-19 21:11:33

There's lots of instrument dealers that can find a decent second hand instrument but the type will depend if she needs full size yet and her grade - if she's full size then you'll need to make a judgement call about how far she will take it because student instruments only go so far

LemonGingerCakes Tue 16-Jul-19 21:12:46

What is your actual budget? It would make it so much more easy to advise you.

LemonGingerCakes Tue 16-Jul-19 21:13:25

Yes - and what size is her current viola? How many inches?

stucknoue Tue 16-Jul-19 21:13:25

Ps if she is good, grade 4+ and full size then £1000 isn't a bad price

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »