Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think KLM's breastfeeding 'policy' is absurd?

(696 Posts)
Celebelly Tue 16-Jul-19 20:25:42

'Breastfeeding is permitted at KLM flights. However, to ensure that all our passengers of all backgrounds feel comfortable on board, we may request a mother to cover herself while breastfeeding, should other passengers be offended by this.'

This was posted on their official Twitter today.

'Permitted'. Thank god it's 'permitted' to feed your child.

AIBU to think this is ridiculous?

SnugglySnerd Tue 16-Jul-19 20:28:10

I don't know without context. It sounds like this was in response to a complaint or someone saying it shouldn't be allowed in which case it's fine.
I agree it would be an odd thing for them to say out of the blue.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Tue 16-Jul-19 20:28:20

Agreed. Ridiculous.

Why does the "embarassment" of another passenger trump the mother and baby's comfort in feeding?

If I'm a veggie can I claim offence at another passenger eating the meat dish and request they cover their heads?

Theknacktoflying Tue 16-Jul-19 20:29:12

at ... surely it should be on ...

Celebelly Tue 16-Jul-19 20:29:15

The full conversation is here:

twitter.com/KLM/status/1151049902673321984

I suspect the question was asked after a news story about a woman who was asked to cover up on a flight.

crispysausagerolls Tue 16-Jul-19 20:30:17

This is fucking outrageous.

Love the veggie/meat eating analogy

MrsGrannyWeatherwax Tue 16-Jul-19 20:30:27

Yes it’s slightly absurd

StripeySocks29 Tue 16-Jul-19 20:30:33

But anyone could claim to be offended by anything!? If I claim to be offended by checked shirts will they ask other passengers to cover them up?

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Tue 16-Jul-19 20:30:42

Maybe the passengers who are uncomfortable with it should just take a little walk up and down the plane while the feed is underway.

MrsGrannyWeatherwax Tue 16-Jul-19 20:31:03

(Understatement - irony)

SnugglySnerd Tue 16-Jul-19 20:34:22

The whole covering up thing is daft, yes.

Theknacktoflying Tue 16-Jul-19 20:35:24

a problem in translation??

WelcomeToShootingStars Tue 16-Jul-19 20:36:03

No. I think it smacks of a response trying to appeal to everybody and upset nobody. They've done nothing wrong really.

Theknacktoflying Tue 16-Jul-19 20:38:35

permitted - ‘toegelaten’ converted back to english means allowed ..

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jul-19 20:43:34

I was offended on a Delta flight 3 years ago by the man in the seat next to me putting his hands into his underpants and moving them around for 10-15 minutes. So offended I got up and complained. But there was 'nothing they could do' as they 'couldn't prove anything'.
But of course a breast fed baby is the really offensive thing. FFS.

Sarahjconnor Tue 16-Jul-19 20:45:04

This is country which legalises selling women bodies in shop windows???!!

VenusTiger Tue 16-Jul-19 20:46:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MrsGrannyWeatherwax Tue 16-Jul-19 20:49:09

I think it was a stewardess from the FB post I saw, perhaps from the vantage point they could see more?

Usually from same height you can’t see much

herculepoirot2 Tue 16-Jul-19 20:51:43

Utterly ridiculous. Cover up my child feeding from my body as my body was designed to feed her? Fuck that.

RoseGoldEagle Tue 16-Jul-19 20:53:26

This is awful. I went on a flight a few weeks ago with my 3 month old and it was boiling, I fed him on and off during the flight and he’d have been roasting if I’d had to put a cover on him, I wouldn’t have done it (thankfully the airline was fine which it). Makes me despair.

AProblemHasOccured Tue 16-Jul-19 20:53:34

'permitted'? Surely that's not their call to make anyway? I thought it was illegal to stop mothers from breastfeeding. Can someone shed some light on this?

crispysausagerolls Tue 16-Jul-19 20:53:37

Aaaaaand I’m now embroiled in a fight with DH after I shared this outrageous article with him and his response was that women “should be discreet” and not “flap their boobs around”.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MEN?!?!?!?

Herefortheduration Tue 16-Jul-19 20:54:03

I bf mine during take off and landing as it sorts the pressure changes in their ears. Rather a slip of boob than screaming babies, I'm sure. I never asked, I just did it and doubt anyone even noticed.

Somersetlady Tue 16-Jul-19 20:54:16

I think it’s reasonable to dress appropriately for a flight in a brest feeding top that shows nothing the same way you plan to pack easy access clothes for nappys and toys for older kids to play with.

It’s only the look at me heres my boobs type of feeder that would be affected by this.

Ive fed myself for 14 months so am pro breast feeding!

KennDodd Tue 16-Jul-19 20:56:20

I bet there's a Twitter pile in. Anyone want to take bets on how long before the 'clarification' appears?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »