Advanced search

to be a bit hurt and pissed off by my parents expressing the belief that

(17 Posts)
PiesAreNiceSoAreMice Sun 29-Jul-07 23:40:11

Message withdrawn

handlemecarefully Sun 29-Jul-07 23:42:50

What?

It sounds like you do tonnes with her?

Tell them how they are making you feel with their idealised rose tinted probably woefully inaccurate reminiscences (sp?) of your childhood

RosaLuxembourg Sun 29-Jul-07 23:42:58

She's two and a half. She doesn't need to be learning to read, speak French, play the harpsichord. She needs to spend fun time with her mum and clearly she does. Tell them to back off.

cornsilk Sun 29-Jul-07 23:43:37

Let it all go over your head. They probably are remembering your childhood with rose tinted glasses!

PiesAreNiceSoAreMice Sun 29-Jul-07 23:46:38

Message withdrawn

PiesAreNiceSoAreMice Sun 29-Jul-07 23:47:49

Message withdrawn

cornsilk Sun 29-Jul-07 23:49:29

They are wrong. She needs to be loved, secure and happy. Trust your instincts and ignore them.

Bubble99 Sun 29-Jul-07 23:52:53

She's naughty because she's two and a half.

That's what two and a half's do.

Trying to stuff/cram 'learning' into children of this age knackers their ability to question/imagine. Don't do it.

Mummy,M&T groups and what you're doing at home are all she needs right now.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Sun 29-Jul-07 23:52:57

Pies, do you take her to M&T groups almost every day??? Woman, you deserve a medal! don't let them get to you.

nightowl Sun 29-Jul-07 23:56:06

yes, my mum is like that and she could get an award for crap parenting. in fact, she could have a display cabinet full of them...and polish them hourly, whilst letting my "just ok mum of the year" award rust and go a bit green.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 30-Jul-07 00:01:55

she is 'naughty' because she is 2 and a half
and sounds like you do loads (a lot more than me )

I do think parents have a tendency to compress our childhoods and think children should be doing things at a much younger age than is reasonable - they think they remember you doing something at 2 but then when you investigate, it turns out to have been at 4 etc. Learning a new language - er why?

PiesAreNiceSoAreMice Mon 30-Jul-07 00:02:06

Message withdrawn

MrsJohnCusack Mon 30-Jul-07 00:03:14

oh I didn't see bubble's post!

MrsJohnCusack Mon 30-Jul-07 00:04:50

she's learning with everything she does - that's what this being an optimum age for learning actually means. You don't need to be doing anything else. It won't make a jot of difference to how she performs later on at school/in life if you start hothousing her now.

PiesAreNiceSoAreMice Mon 30-Jul-07 00:09:04

Message withdrawn

margosbeenplayingwithmynoonoo Mon 30-Jul-07 00:19:36

I've got LOs of a similar age to you.

DD1 is a normal 2.10 yo. She's naughty, funny, stubborn, independant, infuriating and loveable.

It sounds like you're doing a grand job.

Keep up the good work and don't listen to your parents.

Tortington Mon 30-Jul-07 00:23:41

your parents are clearly insane.

if you can manage a little more without them - i would remind them of where the power balance is in this relationship

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now