Talk

Advanced search

Advice on accident

(42 Posts)
justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 22:09:49

I attended a hotel which the parking was terrible. They were fully booked and also book a conference in also. They only have 40 car parking spaces. Cars were parked anywhere they could making it passable for one car only but not one way system in place. Everywhere else is permit only. Was not informed beforehand of the lack of parking although they said we had been. Anyway I had to reverse out the way of two cars so they could pass. I then hit the barrier which I couldn’t see through my rear window and was looking at the curb judging the room I had, the barrier stands about a metre away from the curb, I’m not avoiding paying for the damage but should there be a certain height so you can see them and why do they stick them nearly in middle of the bloody road. I’m annoyed at myself but I’m also annoyed at the fact the parking was so badly organised.

longearedbat Mon 15-Jul-19 22:23:42

What's your aibu?

Cheeserton Mon 15-Jul-19 22:32:57

Nice story. What's the question?

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 22:34:23

To think the hotel shouldn’t book so much in that it’s impossible to park there

NoSquirrels Mon 15-Jul-19 22:35:02

Yes, I can imagine I’d be cross too.

What’s your question - are you unreasonable to not want to pay? Are you unreasonable to wish it hadn’t happened?

NoSquirrels Mon 15-Jul-19 22:36:38

If it says on the website under ‘parking’ that there are only 40 spaces and it’s first come first served so parking is not guaranteed, then YABU.

3luckystars Mon 15-Jul-19 22:38:10

Sorry you had a tip but blaming everyone else is not going to undo it.

It's upsetting but nobody was hurt and you are ok.

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 22:40:13

No mention of limited spaces, just got the message of free parking on site

Oysterbabe Mon 15-Jul-19 22:40:30

If you reverse into a stationary object it's your fault irrespective of what else is going on.

DeaflySilence Mon 15-Jul-19 22:41:13

Just how badly did you damage the barrier, when reversing (at presumably a very low speed)?

Academic really, your fault, you have to pay for damage.

"I then hit the barrier which I couldn’t see through my rear window and was looking at the curb judging the room I had"

What if it'd been a small child, not a barrier? If you cannot see to reverse, don't reverse. Get some help, if necessary.

Prisonbreak Mon 15-Jul-19 22:41:39

If barriers need to be a certain height to be seen, does the same go for children? Going by that logic, if you had hit a child, it’s the child’s fault they weren’t tall enough

Nicknacky Mon 15-Jul-19 22:42:34

Annoying but one of those things you just need to suck up.

PolPotNoodle Mon 15-Jul-19 22:44:49

Well if you were looking at the curb to reverse then you couldn't have been looking very closely through your rear window. Time to buy a car with parking sensors.

NoSquirrels Mon 15-Jul-19 22:44:51

No mention of limited spaces, just got the message of free parking on site

Are you 100% sure? Have you checked the website and T&Cs? If it’s stated and you didn’t checkbits not their fault. It’s annoying, sure, but the statement “free parking on site” is not wrong - as long as they’ve covered themselves in the info available elsewhere.

What outcome do you want - compensation/reduction in costs? They’re quite unlikely to go for it!

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 22:53:40

The barrier is a bit on the tip but if it was a child at the same height I probably would have hit them too. But hopefully the child wouldn’t be stood in the road but thank goodness it was only a bollard. Suppose I’m annoyed at myself for not just driving home like the others that couldn’t park instead of trying to attend a meeting I missed anyway.

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 22:56:49

I’m not expecting anyone to pay for damage but me as I hit it but hoped maybe the hotel knowing they have limited space wouldn’t book so much in on 1 day but suppose they are just after the profit as it’s a business after all. They get paid for the room even if everyone drives away.

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 22:57:52

Yes my next car will have parking censors I’m gonna make sure of that

BogglesGoggles Mon 15-Jul-19 23:03:48

But they couldn’t really know how many people would actually park. And even then there is nothing preventing people from parking elsewhere. You just need to learn to dive better.

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 23:09:29

Permit parking prevented parking else where that’s why some people drove away.
Wish I’d have been one of them now.

stucknoue Mon 15-Jul-19 23:11:20

Many hotels don't have enough spaces for every room, generally it says it in the small print

TurnOffTheTv Mon 15-Jul-19 23:12:43

How much are they asking you to pay?

chzarind Mon 15-Jul-19 23:14:47

You are not being very clear. Who is asking you to pay and what are they asking you to pay?

LillithsFamiliar Mon 15-Jul-19 23:18:01

How badly did you damage it? Unless it was wrecked, I wouldn't expect them to bill you.

justmakemeacuppa Mon 15-Jul-19 23:19:39

I’ve no idea what the cost is? they can sort it with my insurance. They have my contact details

GabsAlot Mon 15-Jul-19 23:22:34

Its always first come first serve-they cant tell you how many cars are going to be there on any given day can they

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »