Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to expect that people seeing two wildly differently sized children who happen to bear a resemblance to each other

(69 Posts)
hunkermunker Sun 29-Jul-07 21:46:28

might say "are they brothers?" not "are they twins?"

FlameParakeet Sun 29-Jul-07 21:47:00

lmao

They do have the same face though....

SlightlyMadSpider Sun 29-Jul-07 21:49:31

Thast Ok. DPs cousin has 2 redheaded children.

She was out walking with my DTDs in double pushchair (and they were prem so v small for age) and her 2. She was asked if she had triplets (My DTDs and her youngest - 2years older than DTDs). She was shocked as they look nothing alike and certainly did't look the same age.

hunkermunker Sun 29-Jul-07 21:50:49

Well, yes, they're pretty much peas in a pod, but it's not unheard of for siblings to resemble each other, is it?

I was first asked this when DS2 was 5mo. DS1 was 2.2yo...

FlameParakeet Sun 29-Jul-07 21:55:12

I get it with Psychomum... we put our DC in a shopping trolley together (ok they are the same size) - but DD looks like me, her DS doesn't look much like either of us.

Two women... two children... why assume that they are one woman's twins rather than a child each?!

Miaou Sun 29-Jul-07 21:55:58

Oh yes I used to get this all the time when the dds were little - aged 2 and 4, they both had their hair in a bob. I used to get fed up of being asked if they were twins

<<waves>> hello hunker

Miaou Sun 29-Jul-07 21:57:35

I remember once taking bensmum4's two kids round the supermarket with my two dds (this was before each of us doubled our output ) - they were both blonde, like my dds - more than one person asked if they were all mine

tortoise Sun 29-Jul-07 21:57:44

I get asked this too. dd1 is 4 and dd2 is 3.

hunkermunker Sun 29-Jul-07 21:58:49

<waves back at Miaou> How's edible Euan? <melt>

I expect it'll happen more and more as DS2 gets older. My mum and dad used to be asked if DB and I were twins (he's 2.6 years younger than me).

hunkermunker Sun 29-Jul-07 22:00:01

I can understand it when the children in question are 4 and 2, but not 5m and 2. That's just unobservant or bonkers.

Tortington Sun 29-Jul-07 22:00:16

i never get " are they twins" and they are! they dont actuallylook like they come from the same family.

hunkermunker Sun 29-Jul-07 22:01:28

There's irony for you, Custy! I used to know twins who were MADLY different in appearance (one was just shy of 5', the other just shy of 6' - both girls!).

littlelapin Sun 29-Jul-07 22:02:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlameParakeet Sun 29-Jul-07 22:02:34

I think that is what irks me more Miaou... the fact that never does anyone assume they are MY babies - out with another friend last week, and someone thought all 4 were hers, rather than 2 mine

sweetkitty Sun 29-Jul-07 22:03:48

I get it a lot too especially when DD2 has no hair and DD1 had loads of wild curls. Yes they are twins that one hasn't learned to sit up yet!

Peachy Sun 29-Jul-07 22:04:01

Ah come on

ds1 and ds2 were aways accused of being twins, even when ds2 was 4 weeks old and ds1 walking alongside pmsl, there's 13.5 months between them.

DS3 is always beinga ccused of being the twin of his fellow mindee when the CM is out, they do have very similar looks though

Tortington Sun 29-Jul-07 22:04:23

ever better...when they were babies - some old person said in disgusted tone " youhad them close together didn't you!"

" err yes 15 mins apart said i"

FlameParakeet Sun 29-Jul-07 22:06:04

pmsl Custy!

WanderingTrelawney Sun 29-Jul-07 22:20:28

Once upon a time, I was a nanny to a white baby and a black baby, 4 months apart in age.

"Aaah, is it twins?" some dimwit would say.

"Yes," I would smile.

<<puzzled look from dimwit>>

Sometimes I used to say they were identical, too.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Sun 29-Jul-07 22:28:11

pmsl @ custy!

potoroo Sun 29-Jul-07 22:35:26

I was out with a friend and her DD who is same age as my DS. Two mums, two children.
We got asked if they were twins... fair enough because they are the same age, but friend's DD has blonde hair and blue eyes and my DS is 1/2 Chinese...

LyraBelacqua Sun 29-Jul-07 22:37:42

I thought I was the only one who got asked this
Mine are 22 months apart, with a very clear size difference, and not that similar looking imo, and I still get asked if they're twins. Gah!

edam Sun 29-Jul-07 22:42:16

Doesn't only apply to children. Shopping for my friend's wedding dress, assistant asked if we were sisters.

Friend is 5'11, straight auburn hair, boyish figure. I'm 5'7 on a good day, curly dark brown hair, with a very curvy figure. In what way, exactly, do we look like sisters?!

unknownrebelbang Sun 29-Jul-07 22:46:27

22 months between my younger two, and yep we're often asked if they're twins, and from quite an early age.

They do look alike (in fact all three lads are similar) but they're a different build - DS2 has a very athletic build, and DS3 is tall but chunky with it.

hunkermunker Sun 29-Jul-07 22:56:26

See pic on my profile - are they twins?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now