Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wish my dh wouldn't slow down every time he approaches a green traffic light ?

(13 Posts)
HullaBalloo Sun 29-Jul-07 17:59:18

It drives me mad, especially if we are in a hurry. He has now said I've got to drive us everywhere now as I have criticised his driving !

foxinsocks Sun 29-Jul-07 18:00:01

does he speed up for red in case it's going to turn orange/green?

HullaBalloo Sun 29-Jul-07 18:03:17

Nope - he slows down in all eventualities when approaching traffic lights. Says the Highway Code says you should slow down when the lights are green so that's why he does it but quite happily drives at 90mph on the motorway !

WigWamBam Sun 29-Jul-07 18:29:35

He's right; you should approach traffic lights with caution in case someone is coming across/through them on a red light, or has jumped the lights as they change. It's completely different to driving on the motorway; when you're on the motorway there's not quite so much chance of someone coming at you head-on or from the side as there is when you're approaching a green light and there are idiots on the other side of it ...

Not everyone obeys the lights, and it's sensible to slow down and make sure that someone hasn't jumped them coming across you.

PrincessGoodLife Sun 29-Jul-07 18:34:52

it sounds sensible to me tbh, esp with your kid(s) in the car - you never know what kind of idiot is also approaching the same junction.

AbRoller Sun 29-Jul-07 18:41:01

I think he's right. It's always wise to check that some other eejit isn't going to run their red light and plough into your car. Time wise, it's unlikely the short period of reduced speed is going to make a huge difference to your journey.

Ladymuck Sun 29-Jul-07 18:45:33

Hvae to say that the slowing down does somethimes get to me too - dh has even been known to stop at a greenlight before now . Depends on how close you think that the change of lights is, but I think that there is a risk that drivers behind you may not appreciate that you are slowing down for green lights and they end up going into the back of you.

That said I would not want to drive if dh was criticising my driving, so I can see both points.

unknownrebelbang Sun 29-Jul-07 22:12:06

Beats speeding up to get through the lights just in case.

funnypeevesculiar Sun 29-Jul-07 22:16:35

roffle - my dh does this as well and it drives me MAD!
I'm a type A person and he is sooooo a type B.
A bit of me knows his approach is more sensible, but god its annoying - you have my sympathy, hullaballo

HullaBalloo Sun 29-Jul-07 22:27:10

Funnypeevesculiar - yes it's definitely about me being a Type A person and him being Type B. But in the face of the majority view I'm willing to accept that I'm being a bit unreasonable. But don't feel too sorry for him though as he constantly criticises my driving and helpfully points out, like Hyacinth Bucket, road 'hazards' like other cars and pedestrians which I'd already spotted ages before him anyway. I'm very premenstrual at the moment so I'm finding just about everything he does annoying - which is also a bit unreasonable !

bellabelly Mon 30-Jul-07 00:53:48

Oh my god, my DH does this all the time and it drives me insane. I sympathise.

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 30-Jul-07 00:54:55

I wish my DH would slow down most of the time

Desiderata Mon 30-Jul-07 01:00:29

I wish every body would slow down, all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now