Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think you need money to be an ethical rainbow mum?

(152 Posts)
RhubarbJuice Fri 12-Jul-19 19:15:12

So I go to a baby group, and there's a group of mums there, all very nice, but all quite similar in that they dress their children in organic clothes, the mums themselves often match in the adult versions, they have special reusable lunch boxes and coffee cups and all sorts. They are all very zero waste and anti plastic, which I agree with, we should all do our bit. One of them recommended these hair conditioning cubes which are zero plastic and good for your hair. I went online to look, the guts of £12 they cost! I have very thick hair so lucky to get a few weeks out of them

It's the same with the toys, they're very into their wooden toys, and as the babies were approaching their first birthdays, the conversation came up, and they're all spending hundreds on ethically made blocks and wooden rainbows. They worship this rainbow. One of them brought one to the group, and all the babies did love it.

AIBU to feel it's a shame its so expensive to do this kind of thing? I'd love to be able to afford all this stuff and go organic and plastic free, but it would cost me a fortune. Guess I'll have to stick with tupperware and second hand clothes for my DC!

I do draw the line at some of the clothes though, one mum was in a matching rainbow mushroom dress as her daughter.

SolsticeBabyMaybe Sat 13-Jul-19 21:58:30

It's weird... Do these people ONLY exist in baby groups? And on MN? Seems to be a higher concentration than anywhere else! Surely all kinds of women have children, so how do there only seem to be mums like this around???

SolsticeBabyMaybe Sat 13-Jul-19 22:03:29

Feels quite performative... Surely 2nd hand clothes and toys (plastic or wooden, landfill doesn't care) are actually better for the environment? Rather than chucking stuff that already exists and purchasing brand new 'ethical' stuff? Feel like they are just enjoying the brands etc rather than doing so out of environmental concerns... Which is fine it's just obviously not the only way of doing things! Crack on with your tuppaware I say. Why waste it and buy new stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »