Talk

Advanced search

In saying that Botox/fillers etc do NOT make you look younger?

(146 Posts)
TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 13:53:34

Correct me if I'm wrong but i honestly have never seen any examples of someone having Botox and/or fillers and though "wow you look so much younger!"! I actually think it ages people as it gives them a frozen look or puffy look which is synonymous with having work done which would then lead me to believe the person is of a certain age.

Obviously some practitioners are much better at doing it that others and there are probably some cowboys (or cowgirls?!) our there injecting people with the stuff left right and centre but even when someone has been somewhere reputable I still think it actually ages them.

I'm of the age now where my face ain't what it was. Hurtling towards forty, three kids, always exhausted and often think about getting a bit of Botox (not tempted with filler AT ALL yet) but in all honesty I have never seen a good example of it...ever.

AIBU?

teenagenonfanclub Sat 13-Jul-19 14:06:32

Is Botox any good for wrinkles around outer eye area. When I smile or grimace they look awful

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sat 13-Jul-19 14:16:35

I wish @Cinammoncake! 🤣 They have a 'Think 25' policy.

I certainly don't look like I'm in my 20s, maybe 30 at an absolute push on a good day, so maybe they are being over cautious if they think I look 30? No idea. But makes my day. 😅

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sat 13-Jul-19 14:18:00

@teenagenonfanclub Yes, it can be applied there. My friend had it done when I had my forehead done. But to a proper doctor as you do want some subtle eye creasing when you smile still, otherwise it looks odd.

QueenBeee Sat 13-Jul-19 17:23:50

Aidan Turner is on the front page of the Radio Times. He looks extremely smooth skinned and young, hopefully air brushing. Surely he should be getting a bit craggy and lined with all that salt laden air!

Lilifer Sat 13-Jul-19 18:09:32

I agree OP. I turn 50 soon and I've thought about trying Botox but I know quite a few women who have had it and it has not really made much difference that I can see, plus the cost of it puts me off. I would rather put that money into having a nice weekend away with friends and relaxing, and if I do Botox then I can't really afford that. I'd rather have the fun and memories than a smooth looking face!smile

jennymanara Sat 13-Jul-19 18:15:08

To those saying Gillian Anderson looks good, yes she does, although photos can sometimes look different to real life. But she still looks her age.

EdWinchester Sat 13-Jul-19 18:19:32

At 48, I have no lines on my forehead at all. 5 years ago, I had loads plus really deep '11s' between my eyebrows.

I have Botox only once a year or so. I started having it because I hated looking so cross all the time, but I now love the freshening up it gives me too. It also stops my crow's feet.

I have just had it done on Monday, and already I have had 2 people ask me what products I use on my face grin. This happens all the time since I started having Botox.

Done well and by a dentist, not some random in a beauty place, it is marvellous. I don't want to look younger, but I do want to look good and not haggard.

I am wary of fillers though.

teenagenonfanclub Sat 13-Jul-19 18:36:01

Thanks @GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery My eyelids are really noticeably drooping now (I'm 47), wondering if Botox would also help with that?

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sat 13-Jul-19 19:03:19

@teenagenonfanclub eyelids can sometimes be lifted with Botox, they place the injections around the brows to pull the muscles up.

Even though I've not many wrinkles, my upper lids don't look particularly taut, I tried Botox for the lids, but it didn't work for me. Everyone is different.

I'm not brave, or rich enough to go under the knife though. 😅

LaurieFairyCake Sat 13-Jul-19 19:21:27

I don't get Botox (yet!) and I also occasionally get asked for ID at 49. I don't have much in the way of forehead lines. I'm not wearing make up so a bit freckly.

CORSACORSA Sat 13-Jul-19 20:30:25

My friend has had her forehead and lips done and looks absolutely ridiculous. Really ridiculous. Ive had to tell her that i think she should stop.

Another one has had her cheeks/forehead/whole face done and is rather freaky. When she smiles there is nothing there.

NeckPainChairSearch Sat 13-Jul-19 21:31:23

To those saying Gillian Anderson looks good, yes she does, although photos can sometimes look different to real life. But she still looks her age

Yes she does look her age. Not sure what the 'but' is there for, though - embracing her age and not trying to look 20 years younger is part of why she looks so fab.

I have zero interest in looking younger. I just want to look the healthiest and best version of the age I am.

bugeyedbarber Sat 13-Jul-19 23:03:11

Here is what I can tell you from my personal experience OP. If you can tell, it's not been done well. That's it.

Good practitioner will spend time with the person, watch their face move, check how the muscles interact and then start working top down, always going for less than more. Also, really thoroughly assessing how other muscles in the face will react when one above or to the side of it has been treated with Botox.

The proliferation of dentists, beauticians and all amateur injectors doing the work on people results in really badly done work being paraded around. Lumpy filler, people's cheeks riding up thanks to Botox around the eyes, shiny stretched foreheads, lips so bloated they are actually go into the surrounding area rather than stay within line.

There are many different types of filler and I've seen people done with the wrong type in the wrong place. Hence the bumps and lumps.

When the work is done well it does not show. It's not obvious, there is movement in the face and the person looks natural.

teenagenonfanclub Sat 13-Jul-19 23:05:54

How do you find a qualified professional to carry out these treatments?

AlexaAmbidextra Sat 13-Jul-19 23:59:03

I use a proper bona fide plastic surgeon. Someone who is a consultant in the NHS and does cosmetic surgery etc in private practice. He’s a member of BAAPS. To do fillers and Botox correctly you need a professional with an in-depth and expert knowledge of the A&P of the face, it’s structures, muscles, blood vessels etc. I wouldn’t trust anyone without these qualifications.

www.baaps.org.uk

You can search this site for a plastic surgeon near you.

HelenaDove Sun 14-Jul-19 01:11:18

What exactly is in these fillers?

AlexaAmbidextra Sun 14-Jul-19 03:22:54

Hyaluronic acid which is a naturally occurring substance in the human body.

JoyceDivision Sun 14-Jul-19 03:57:14

A school mum offers lip fillers, Botox etc. She's a nurse, so offers the medical assurance. But the area she nurses in has nothing to do with plastic surgery / facial rebuilds etc.... She freely admits she booked a course to train in Botox and fillers.

A group of school mum's have had work done, and they look dreadful. The lip fillers are the worse,she has even done her own and they just look like burst lips.

The Botox and chemical peels pics that are on her Facebook page are also heavily filtered with soft glow, sparkles round the face etc you can't actually see a true image of the skin!

Quintella Sun 14-Jul-19 04:27:09

To those saying Gillian Anderson looks good, yes she does, although photos can sometimes look different to real life. But she still looks her age.

99% of people look their age. Some look good for their age and some look haggard as fuck.

Gillian Anderson looks sexy as hell but looking younger than her age has nothing to do with her appeal. And tbh I've scrutinised her face and she may have had some intervention but it hasn't been ott.

LazyLizzy Sun 14-Jul-19 05:15:33

I know somebody whose face is really weird and I assume it's fillers?

Basically it's now the shape of the Saw mask. Really pointy chin and strange shaped cheekbones.

She was really pretty before this malarkey. It's such a shame.

teenagenonfanclub Sun 14-Jul-19 08:18:55

@JoyceDivision that is really interesting. An acquaintance of mine who is also a RGN has recently completed a Botox/filler course and is setting herself up, heavily playing her medical background.

On first glance it is reassuring assuring knowing she's a nurse but actually she knows no more than anyone else about aesthetics

IheartNiles Sun 14-Jul-19 08:27:44

After a while people who use this start to morph into the vampires from Buffy. Big overhanging foreheads and the eyebrow position. Don’t get me started on the trout pouts. I also don’t buy that a plastic surgeon will avoid this trope. I’m pretty sure that the likes of Madonna, Simon Cowell, Nicole Kidman, Amanda Holden, Katie Price (to name a few obvious ones) use plastic surgeons and not beauticians, and their faces look as bad as anyone’s.

Loopytiles Sun 14-Jul-19 10:34:21

Obvious that Gillian A, and pretty much all Hollywood actors, have had cosmetic procedures.

“If you can tell, it's not been done well.” Disagree.

bugeyedbarber Sun 14-Jul-19 11:47:08

To clarify. My point is not only about price of procedure.

There is no accounting for personal preferences. Some people love looking "done" and wanting to see dramatic difference. I know practitioners who will not do the "done" look and won't work with people who seek that type of thing. But I also know those who will do so at request.

To put it another way: it's a difference between getting your teeth done and having nice natural looking teeth including imperfections like gaps, slight wonk here and there and a full Royal Doulton set of enamel gnashers that blind onlookers while you smile.

Good face tinkering looks like Helen Mirren, Gillian Anderson or the lovely Julianne Moore.

Bad looks like anyone who's been on TOWIE. Or Simon Cowell. Or Amanda Holden.

bugeyedbarber Sun 14-Jul-19 11:47:49

To clarify. My point is not only about price of procedure.

There is no accounting for personal preferences. Some people love looking "done" and wanting to see dramatic difference. I know practitioners who will not do the "done" look and won't work with people who seek that type of thing. But I also know those who will do so at request.

To put it another way: it's a difference between getting your teeth done and having nice natural looking teeth including imperfections like gaps, slight wonk here and there and a full Royal Doulton set of enamel gnashers that blind onlookers while you smile.

Good face tinkering looks like Helen Mirren, Gillian Anderson or the lovely Julianne Moore.

Bad looks like anyone who's been on TOWIE. Or Simon Cowell. Or Amanda Holden.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »