Talk

Advanced search

In saying that Botox/fillers etc do NOT make you look younger?

(146 Posts)
TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 13:53:34

Correct me if I'm wrong but i honestly have never seen any examples of someone having Botox and/or fillers and though "wow you look so much younger!"! I actually think it ages people as it gives them a frozen look or puffy look which is synonymous with having work done which would then lead me to believe the person is of a certain age.

Obviously some practitioners are much better at doing it that others and there are probably some cowboys (or cowgirls?!) our there injecting people with the stuff left right and centre but even when someone has been somewhere reputable I still think it actually ages them.

I'm of the age now where my face ain't what it was. Hurtling towards forty, three kids, always exhausted and often think about getting a bit of Botox (not tempted with filler AT ALL yet) but in all honesty I have never seen a good example of it...ever.

AIBU?

Notwiththeseknees Fri 12-Jul-19 14:50:49

Not one of my other friends realised that I had Botox for years until I confessed. Tbh I felt guilty as they kept on about how good I look for my age grin.

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 Fri 12-Jul-19 14:58:37

@boredboredboredboredbored - me too!

Imanamechangeninja Fri 12-Jul-19 15:08:10

There is definitely an element of hit and miss about Botox as you say OP. That is why a good practioner will only administer a small dose the first time you have it. If after a couple of weeks it hasn’t had the desired effect you go back for a top up at no extra cost. I wouldn’t go to any practice or individual that doesn’t offer that service.

loubieloulou Fri 12-Jul-19 15:10:30

I would agree that Botox doesn't really make anybody look younger, just more fresh faced maybe. I tried Botox twice & didn't like it. However I found that fillers definitely made me look younger, I have them in my lips & nose to mouth lines every 18 months. My lips aren't massive pouty duck lips though, think more plumped & youthful with original shape / contour of my lips kept.

What I will say does take years off me though is TCA peels & regular use of glycolic acid cream on my face. I've been doing my own TCA peels for about 18 month now & the results have been fab .... I now have better skin that I did in my 20's & I'm almost hitting 40 now.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Jul-19 15:11:08

It’s always obvious IMO.

userxx Fri 12-Jul-19 15:13:52

YABU. Anyone with the frozen look is having it done by the wrong person.

LazyLemur Fri 12-Jul-19 15:14:09

To be honest, I agree with you OP, but it does smooth out the lines which makes people feel better about themselves.

I know someone who has pretty much the entire face frozen, big plumped up lips, super shiny, tattooed on makeup... It looks like a mask. But she clearly thinks a lot about her appearance and pays a lot on the upkeep. People get this stuff done to fix insecurities about their appearance and to feel better about what they see in the mirror. If that is preferable to her than her natural face then I think it would be heartless to say she probably looks better without.

Im not a fan personally and I dont mind my own eye crinkles but if I ever get deep "11"s, I'll probably be having those done.

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 12-Jul-19 15:21:44

As others have said, you notice only the ones that have been done badly. The good ones are not obvious, which is as it should be.

RightYesButNo Fri 12-Jul-19 15:24:45

PPs are spot on about there being very little regulation. It might seem very zen-like having it done in a pretty salon but hell no; you should always have it done by a doctor in my opinion and the best doctors I’ve seen refuse to do the “face freeze.” They’re very honest about the limitations of Botox. It will make you look refreshed and if you have a certain type of wrinkles, it could make you look loads younger or with others, just a tiny bit younger. But the best doctors are NOT going to be willing to do whatever you want because usually you’re an advertisement for them. Even with doctors though, there ARE doctors willing to do whatever a person wants and there are plenty of customers willing to go to them and they all look very obviously Botoxed, frozen, etc.

But my understanding is that the best way to make Botox look natural is to start when you’re pretty young (early 20s) with wrinkles just starting, and then just barely keep filling them up. Trying to completely “disappear” every single wrinkle on your face in one day at age 45 is the way to look unnatural.

YesQueen Fri 12-Jul-19 15:28:52

Yeah I started having it age 33 for lines from frowning/grimacing caused by pain. Went to an event with a skincare person and even she didn't spot my Botox grin
I like it done v lightly on my forehead and then heavily in between my brows

Tighnabruaich Fri 12-Jul-19 15:30:39

I had fillers to de-crinkle my upper lip and it made such a difference. I then had my frown lines done, that's all just two subtle touch ups, I don't look 20 or even 30, but it's made me look better for my age. The person who does it in the clinic is a registered, experienced nurse, so I have no qualms. In fact when i asked to for a little plumpness put into my top lip she refused, saying I didn't need it and she didn't want me to look 'done'. So I trust her. I probably go twice a year at most.

missyB1 Fri 12-Jul-19 15:39:04

Hmmm on the whole I agree with OP. The only people I know who have it done actually end up looking either older or just odd. One work colleague who is convinced she looks much better for it is starting to have the frozen effect now, it’s not flattering. And what about that woman who does Loose Women? Andrea someone, she looks weird now!
But I guess if it’s boosts someone’s confidence then it doesn’t really matter what the rest of us think.

NomDeQwerty Fri 12-Jul-19 15:42:36

YANBU
I couldn't focus on the BBC 4 documentary about Charles I last night because I was fascinated by the main presenter's face. When I Googled, she's at least 10 years younger than I thought she looked.

BirthdayCakes Fri 12-Jul-19 16:01:50

Botoxed people give off a 'coldness' to me - I think it's because of the last of (even minute) expression and lack of mirroring..

Loopytiles Fri 12-Jul-19 16:03:51

Disagree that “good” botox isn’t obvious. Always obvious, in RL and on TV.

whitershadeofpale Fri 12-Jul-19 16:18:58

Has anybody had someone tell you they have botox and been surprised? I haven't.

Banana1984 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:25:32

Botox do not make you look puffy. Fillers can at first until swelling subsides

QueenBeee Fri 12-Jul-19 16:30:50

I'm in my late 60s and have my 11s done as they make me look a bit grumpy and tired. Who wants to go round with people saying
'You look worn out' or 'you look exhausted' when you never go out late. It wouldn't occur to anyone that I've had them done. They are still visible just mot so tired looking.

Notwiththeseknees Fri 12-Jul-19 16:34:18

Good Botox is just enough to reduce the wrinkles without giving a frozen, shiny appearance a la Nicole Kidman & Amanda Holden. My former husband never knew I had it done, my partner doesn't know I have it done, my besties know now. But no, in the vast majority of cases, you would never know. My sister started having her 11s done at 30. Ten years later she still looks early 30s.

MissCharleyP Fri 12-Jul-19 16:34:20

I can usually always tell, some of the lip fillers I’ve seen look ridiculous. Same with Botox; a lady I used to know has had loads - her forehead has actually stretched and her eyebrows look permanently raised. A friend of a friend also had it and everyone was always “Doesn’t she look dead young!” I was kind of “No. She looks like a 40 year old who’s had Botox.”

The only person I’ve ever seen that looked great was when I was working in London and a lady approached me at work. She asked me if I minded giving my honest opinion on something...she’d had a facelift and was worried people would be able to tell. It was honestly so good that I was gobsmacked...and tempted to ask for the name of her surgeon 😂

Loopytiles Fri 12-Jul-19 16:38:31

It IS obvious: people are just too polite to comment.

rookiemere Fri 12-Jul-19 16:41:56

It was really funny at our 30 year school reunion last year. I thought we'd all aged pretty well - one friend had an amazing mane of silver hair - apart from one person who'd been very pretty at school but now looked oddly puffy around the face. Turns out she's actually a trained filler giver in the posh home counties, but lord she wasn't a good advert for her wares.

However another school mate may have had some subtle work done, she looked fresh, but not oddly so.

Can't see the point of it myself as I'd still have old lady hands and my menopausal pot and if famous actresses with loads of money can't get it right - Nicole Kidman seems to be unable to talk or move her face at all in Big Little Lies - then what hope have I got of getting a good job done.

lifesnotaspectatorsport Fri 12-Jul-19 16:44:14

It's hard to say without conducting some sort of random experiment where you look at 20 people and see if you can tell who has (and then get told if you're right)!

I've had Botox on my 11s, which are very deep and ageing compared to the rest of my face which has few wrinkles (I'm 40). I've also had it lightly around my brows and forehead and personally I think it's a subtle but great improvement. My eyes look a bit more open and the 11s are soft now. It's hardly a face freeze. No one I know has asked me if I've had anything done. DH has no idea and he knows my face better than anyone. Even if people had guessed and didn't like it, I would still do it for myself.

TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 17:14:51

@Loopytiles I agree

DickieDonkey Fri 12-Jul-19 17:30:17

The truth is that if there was a skilled surgeon/beautician that made the results of these procedures look natural then multi-millionaires like Nicole Kidman would use them! Unfortunately they don’t exist, we are all going to get old (hopefully) and saggy/wrinkly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »