Talk

Advanced search

In saying that Botox/fillers etc do NOT make you look younger?

(146 Posts)
TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 13:53:34

Correct me if I'm wrong but i honestly have never seen any examples of someone having Botox and/or fillers and though "wow you look so much younger!"! I actually think it ages people as it gives them a frozen look or puffy look which is synonymous with having work done which would then lead me to believe the person is of a certain age.

Obviously some practitioners are much better at doing it that others and there are probably some cowboys (or cowgirls?!) our there injecting people with the stuff left right and centre but even when someone has been somewhere reputable I still think it actually ages them.

I'm of the age now where my face ain't what it was. Hurtling towards forty, three kids, always exhausted and often think about getting a bit of Botox (not tempted with filler AT ALL yet) but in all honesty I have never seen a good example of it...ever.

AIBU?

YesQueen Fri 12-Jul-19 13:55:54

YABU. Sort of grin
Mine makes me less wrinkled but not younger, I think! It's not obvious at all

Proteinshakesandovieshat Fri 12-Jul-19 13:56:10

That would be assuming that you know exactly who has and hasnt had it.

You probably meet lots of people people who have them, particularly botox and not have a clue they have had it.

ChihuahuaMummy1 Fri 12-Jul-19 13:56:55

I only have botox on my forehead and " 11" lines,it does make me look younger to a certain extent but not by loads

Proteinshakesandovieshat Fri 12-Jul-19 13:57:10

In fact one of my colleagues has it. I didnt know. I though she looked good for her age but not loads younger.

Wouldnt have known until she told me.

Reallybadidea Fri 12-Jul-19 13:57:16

Do you not think that maybe it's only the badly done examples that you even know about? If it's done well then you would only know if the person told you. A colleague of mine had it done for her 11s last year, she told me beforehand. They were incredibly deep lines so needed filler too. Looks absolutely great, very natural.

ChihuahuaMummy1 Fri 12-Jul-19 13:58:07

My dad doesn't know I have it so it cant be obvious as I see him regularly and hed definitely say something.I think fillers look fake though.

TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 13:59:44

Obviously the place could be crawling with people that have had it and I've no idea and think they look great. But I've at least three acquaintances who I was able to tell had had it before they told me as it was so OBVIOUS! They just looked so smooth compared to the last time I'd seen them. (Two then happened to tell me another I managed to steer the conversation in that direction rather naughtily so she then said she'd had it too.)

Whoseagooddoggiethen Fri 12-Jul-19 14:00:20

Takes years off me but then I go to a reputable doctor rather than a beauty salon to get it done. Same as most of my friends really. Most people don't even know I have had anything done as it is subtle and makes me look and feel a billion times fresher.

Coldemort Fri 12-Jul-19 14:00:56

I don't think it knocks decades off me, but it stops me looking older than I am. Due to my chain-smoking, Sun worshipping 20's my face was beginning to look like a dried up water bed.
I've had both fillers and BOTOX and no-one has ever noticed (I've had conversations like your OP where people have said in front of me that BOTOX looks daft. I'd like to think they wouldn't have said it to my face if they'd thought I'd had it done smile

BoomZahramay Fri 12-Jul-19 14:01:03

Impossible to say as, if it's been well done, you wouldn't know, would you?

You do see plenty of cautionary tales wondering about though, enough to put me off!

TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 14:03:02

Is there an element of "hit and miss" with it? IE. Two people could go to the same Botox guy (what are they even called?) and one person could look so natural and bright and the other just smooth and tight and obvious because it takes differently to different people?

boredboredboredboredbored Fri 12-Jul-19 14:05:50

I don't want to look younger though just less haggard. I'm 42 and proud to be 42!

Hwory Fri 12-Jul-19 14:06:39

@TwinkleWings you can get it done by a doctor, nurse, dental nurse or beautician on a 1 day course in a salon. There’s v little regulation.

I get mine either done by a doctor or a nurse at a clinic and it looks fantastic.

MyKingdomForACaramel Fri 12-Jul-19 14:07:01

I wouldn’t say it makes me look “younger” but definitely more “refreshed” for want of a better word. That said I don’t have filler and only have minimal Botox - I really doubt you would be able to tell.

HavelockVetinari Fri 12-Jul-19 14:07:22

If you can notice it then it's been overdone. If you go to an actual doctor at a reputable clinic with lots of experience you shouldn't get that frozen look. Costs more, but you get what you pay for.

PapayaCoconut Fri 12-Jul-19 14:14:54

You'd never be able to tell my sister has had Botox. She can move her face normally. She used to get her fillers fine by some beautician and they were very obvious but then she switched to a plastic surgery clinic and now it looks much more natural. When it's done well, you can't tell. And it's not necessary about looking younger anyway. Some people just want bigger lips or whatever.

whitershadeofpale Fri 12-Jul-19 14:21:21

what's people experiences of other people having it? I appreciate everyone's experiences but it's different judging yourself than someone else iykwim.

I've seen a few people where it's obvious and when they're young I think it looks very aging. I knew a woman through work who I genuinely thought was a woman in her early forties but she was was only 28! Her skin was very sun damaged and leathery but then botoxed to try and counter it, which just made her look weird and shiny.

A former boss, however, had it just on her 11s prior to her wedding. Her face was otherwise smooth (she was about 35) but had deep set lines between her brows which the botox smoothed out just making her look more rested and softer. I wouldn't have been able to put my finger on why if she hadn't told me though. There may be loads of women like this about-I just don't know that they've had it done!

Anecdotally, I think lot of women look good the first few times they have it but lose sight of what they look like and end up trying to eradicate every line and looking quite alien in the process.

trackingmedown Fri 12-Jul-19 14:27:00

I go to a clinic and a doctor does my Botox very well and very subtly. I have full facial movement and genuinely look 10 years younger than I am. Occasionally I have mentioned it in passing to a friend or colleague and they are always surprised because I don’t look the ‘type’ to have Botox. Even my MIL (very observant and hypercritical) was struck dumb after ranting about the plastic look of women tv presenters and how you always see when their faces have been ‘interfered with’. When she paused for breath I quietly told her that I’d been having regular Botox for 2 years and she hadn’t noticed - it was a great moment!

That being said within the clinic I go to there are two doctors doing the Botox (amongst other things) and clients who want to look natural are directed to the person I see. Clients who actually want to look as if they have had work done (and a lot of people like the ‘fake’ look) see another doctor in the practice.

DickieDonkey Fri 12-Jul-19 14:30:05

Generally it looks shit and is obvious, a couple of ladies that at work have something done, they will be on holiday for a couple of weeks and come back with a wind tunnel look. They look their age but with work done, so they lose wrinkles and have a tighter face but the neck, arms, torso etc is the same. Unfortunately you can’t cheat nature, if it looked genuine everyone would do it.

trackingmedown Fri 12-Jul-19 14:31:14

I agree with what whiter said about people having good results at first and then having too many areas done. It’s very tempting. I started with some in my forehead to raise my sagging eyelids. Then I started having some to soften the crows feet. Now I am tempted to have some around my mouth to alleviate the ‘cats bum’ lines but I am very aware that could be a step too far and start making me look unnatural.

breakfastpizza Fri 12-Jul-19 14:32:05

If done well, Botox can make you look like a better version of yourself. Harsh 11's are super aging and can distract from an otherwise lovely face. No moisturizer in the world is going to get rid of them.

Cinammoncake Fri 12-Jul-19 14:36:46

I'm on the fence. Of the two friends I know have it, one looks younger maybe (or at least, her age but not wrinkled) one doesn't. I think the trouble comes a number of years on when the rest of your face catches up with other wrinkles and sagging, and the botoxed bit looks out of place. This is the beginning of the weird face. Also, you can get new odd wrinkles where your face adjusts to the botox. So I think short term use it can look fine, but longer term not.
But the trouble is, you're not going to suddenly stop doing it and look like you've aged a lot in no time. Slippery slope therefore imo. Therefore I wouldn't.

Notwiththeseknees Fri 12-Jul-19 14:46:18

I started Botox 15 years ago - it had just become a 'thing' and I had caught sight of my )( in the rear view mirror. My frequency ranged from annually (spring/summer), missed (money/time) and I've never had it done more than twice yearly. My nurse practitioner has her own private clinic & she is amazing. I tried lip fillers once to help with the lip lines, but my best friend said not to do it again, so I haven't. It was tiny & natural but she said not (I loved it though).
I love Botox & have no intention of not using it. I see the difference & feel happier and that is all that matters.

runningtogetskinny Fri 12-Jul-19 14:50:45

I agree with the OP, it's usually obvious and actually ageing, someone I work with has it and I assumed she was my age or older (51) as I associate it with people hitting their late 40s. She is actually 42, probably looks 45 but with strange lips, small eyes due to fillers around them, and a shiny forehead! I'm sure some of the posters who think it looks natural on them wouldn't know otherwise, people are hardly likely to tell them it looks crap?! The person I know thinks she looks fantastic, however, her social group also look similar so aren't likely to disagree confused

Notwiththeseknees Fri 12-Jul-19 14:50:49

Not one of my other friends realised that I had Botox for years until I confessed. Tbh I felt guilty as they kept on about how good I look for my age grin.

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 Fri 12-Jul-19 14:58:37

@boredboredboredboredbored - me too!

Imanamechangeninja Fri 12-Jul-19 15:08:10

There is definitely an element of hit and miss about Botox as you say OP. That is why a good practioner will only administer a small dose the first time you have it. If after a couple of weeks it hasn’t had the desired effect you go back for a top up at no extra cost. I wouldn’t go to any practice or individual that doesn’t offer that service.

loubieloulou Fri 12-Jul-19 15:10:30

I would agree that Botox doesn't really make anybody look younger, just more fresh faced maybe. I tried Botox twice & didn't like it. However I found that fillers definitely made me look younger, I have them in my lips & nose to mouth lines every 18 months. My lips aren't massive pouty duck lips though, think more plumped & youthful with original shape / contour of my lips kept.

What I will say does take years off me though is TCA peels & regular use of glycolic acid cream on my face. I've been doing my own TCA peels for about 18 month now & the results have been fab .... I now have better skin that I did in my 20's & I'm almost hitting 40 now.

Loopytiles Fri 12-Jul-19 15:11:08

It’s always obvious IMO.

userxx Fri 12-Jul-19 15:13:52

YABU. Anyone with the frozen look is having it done by the wrong person.

LazyLemur Fri 12-Jul-19 15:14:09

To be honest, I agree with you OP, but it does smooth out the lines which makes people feel better about themselves.

I know someone who has pretty much the entire face frozen, big plumped up lips, super shiny, tattooed on makeup... It looks like a mask. But she clearly thinks a lot about her appearance and pays a lot on the upkeep. People get this stuff done to fix insecurities about their appearance and to feel better about what they see in the mirror. If that is preferable to her than her natural face then I think it would be heartless to say she probably looks better without.

Im not a fan personally and I dont mind my own eye crinkles but if I ever get deep "11"s, I'll probably be having those done.

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 12-Jul-19 15:21:44

As others have said, you notice only the ones that have been done badly. The good ones are not obvious, which is as it should be.

RightYesButNo Fri 12-Jul-19 15:24:45

PPs are spot on about there being very little regulation. It might seem very zen-like having it done in a pretty salon but hell no; you should always have it done by a doctor in my opinion and the best doctors I’ve seen refuse to do the “face freeze.” They’re very honest about the limitations of Botox. It will make you look refreshed and if you have a certain type of wrinkles, it could make you look loads younger or with others, just a tiny bit younger. But the best doctors are NOT going to be willing to do whatever you want because usually you’re an advertisement for them. Even with doctors though, there ARE doctors willing to do whatever a person wants and there are plenty of customers willing to go to them and they all look very obviously Botoxed, frozen, etc.

But my understanding is that the best way to make Botox look natural is to start when you’re pretty young (early 20s) with wrinkles just starting, and then just barely keep filling them up. Trying to completely “disappear” every single wrinkle on your face in one day at age 45 is the way to look unnatural.

YesQueen Fri 12-Jul-19 15:28:52

Yeah I started having it age 33 for lines from frowning/grimacing caused by pain. Went to an event with a skincare person and even she didn't spot my Botox grin
I like it done v lightly on my forehead and then heavily in between my brows

Tighnabruaich Fri 12-Jul-19 15:30:39

I had fillers to de-crinkle my upper lip and it made such a difference. I then had my frown lines done, that's all just two subtle touch ups, I don't look 20 or even 30, but it's made me look better for my age. The person who does it in the clinic is a registered, experienced nurse, so I have no qualms. In fact when i asked to for a little plumpness put into my top lip she refused, saying I didn't need it and she didn't want me to look 'done'. So I trust her. I probably go twice a year at most.

missyB1 Fri 12-Jul-19 15:39:04

Hmmm on the whole I agree with OP. The only people I know who have it done actually end up looking either older or just odd. One work colleague who is convinced she looks much better for it is starting to have the frozen effect now, it’s not flattering. And what about that woman who does Loose Women? Andrea someone, she looks weird now!
But I guess if it’s boosts someone’s confidence then it doesn’t really matter what the rest of us think.

NomDeQwerty Fri 12-Jul-19 15:42:36

YANBU
I couldn't focus on the BBC 4 documentary about Charles I last night because I was fascinated by the main presenter's face. When I Googled, she's at least 10 years younger than I thought she looked.

BirthdayCakes Fri 12-Jul-19 16:01:50

Botoxed people give off a 'coldness' to me - I think it's because of the last of (even minute) expression and lack of mirroring..

Loopytiles Fri 12-Jul-19 16:03:51

Disagree that “good” botox isn’t obvious. Always obvious, in RL and on TV.

whitershadeofpale Fri 12-Jul-19 16:18:58

Has anybody had someone tell you they have botox and been surprised? I haven't.

Banana1984 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:25:32

Botox do not make you look puffy. Fillers can at first until swelling subsides

QueenBeee Fri 12-Jul-19 16:30:50

I'm in my late 60s and have my 11s done as they make me look a bit grumpy and tired. Who wants to go round with people saying
'You look worn out' or 'you look exhausted' when you never go out late. It wouldn't occur to anyone that I've had them done. They are still visible just mot so tired looking.

Notwiththeseknees Fri 12-Jul-19 16:34:18

Good Botox is just enough to reduce the wrinkles without giving a frozen, shiny appearance a la Nicole Kidman & Amanda Holden. My former husband never knew I had it done, my partner doesn't know I have it done, my besties know now. But no, in the vast majority of cases, you would never know. My sister started having her 11s done at 30. Ten years later she still looks early 30s.

MissCharleyP Fri 12-Jul-19 16:34:20

I can usually always tell, some of the lip fillers I’ve seen look ridiculous. Same with Botox; a lady I used to know has had loads - her forehead has actually stretched and her eyebrows look permanently raised. A friend of a friend also had it and everyone was always “Doesn’t she look dead young!” I was kind of “No. She looks like a 40 year old who’s had Botox.”

The only person I’ve ever seen that looked great was when I was working in London and a lady approached me at work. She asked me if I minded giving my honest opinion on something...she’d had a facelift and was worried people would be able to tell. It was honestly so good that I was gobsmacked...and tempted to ask for the name of her surgeon 😂

Loopytiles Fri 12-Jul-19 16:38:31

It IS obvious: people are just too polite to comment.

rookiemere Fri 12-Jul-19 16:41:56

It was really funny at our 30 year school reunion last year. I thought we'd all aged pretty well - one friend had an amazing mane of silver hair - apart from one person who'd been very pretty at school but now looked oddly puffy around the face. Turns out she's actually a trained filler giver in the posh home counties, but lord she wasn't a good advert for her wares.

However another school mate may have had some subtle work done, she looked fresh, but not oddly so.

Can't see the point of it myself as I'd still have old lady hands and my menopausal pot and if famous actresses with loads of money can't get it right - Nicole Kidman seems to be unable to talk or move her face at all in Big Little Lies - then what hope have I got of getting a good job done.

lifesnotaspectatorsport Fri 12-Jul-19 16:44:14

It's hard to say without conducting some sort of random experiment where you look at 20 people and see if you can tell who has (and then get told if you're right)!

I've had Botox on my 11s, which are very deep and ageing compared to the rest of my face which has few wrinkles (I'm 40). I've also had it lightly around my brows and forehead and personally I think it's a subtle but great improvement. My eyes look a bit more open and the 11s are soft now. It's hardly a face freeze. No one I know has asked me if I've had anything done. DH has no idea and he knows my face better than anyone. Even if people had guessed and didn't like it, I would still do it for myself.

TwinkleWings Fri 12-Jul-19 17:14:51

@Loopytiles I agree

DickieDonkey Fri 12-Jul-19 17:30:17

The truth is that if there was a skilled surgeon/beautician that made the results of these procedures look natural then multi-millionaires like Nicole Kidman would use them! Unfortunately they don’t exist, we are all going to get old (hopefully) and saggy/wrinkly.

MrFlibblesEyes Fri 12-Jul-19 17:45:41

I just had to Google what 11's were 😁

HelenaDove Fri 12-Jul-19 18:07:07

Oh God People in their early 20s dont have wrinkles How ridiculous Is this where we are now?

Im 46 and dont have any wrinkles yet...............yes really And i havent had Botox done either.

I think my 3 donts are partly responsible for the way my face looks

i dont drink (have never been drunk)
i dont smoke
i dont sunbathe.

There is no way im ever having shit injected into my face.

Sosayi Fri 12-Jul-19 18:19:04

If you have it done before you really need it then no one would really notice
I don’t have any wrinkles unless I frown 😂
I’ve recently had Botox and now when I frown my forehead is perfectly smooth
I did think I wouldn’t be able to frown but I can but the nurse who did it said that’s what she aims for full movement not a frozen face

Most people have it done when they have a lot of obvious wrinkles so when you see them with a perfectly clear forehead it’s obvious what they have done

Thirtyysomething Fri 12-Jul-19 19:00:05

I’ve seen so many bad frozen faces but I know a few people who have had it Botox or fillers and I honestly wouldn’t have been able to tell unless they had told me. One of my friends I just remembered thinking she looked really fresh faced. Not necessarily younger but I do think it can give a little lift. I haven’t ventured into it yet but considering.

Thirtyysomething Fri 12-Jul-19 19:02:36

I forgot to mention that one of my friends had Botox in her forehead and it made her eyebrows and eyes droopy ... it wasn’t good.

GlamGiraffe Fri 12-Jul-19 19:14:07

People that know how old I am say I look very good for my age. Even my bluntest of friends don't realise I've has bits done- my parents didn't even realuse, they just thought I looked really well and very fresh. People who don't know me are always very surprised at my age which is purely town yo being a bit more refreshed from a tiny amount of botox and half a.ml of cheek filler. I have very minimal stuff done. I don't want to look altered just refreshed. Its the bad jobs you notice. The good ones pass you by. They are probably the really "well" looking people who don't look as exhausted as they should do! Do your research and remember less is more. Soft botox by an aesthetic Dr. Not a gp, not a midwife or nurse, not an a&e Dr who also does it not a dentist but a Dr specialising in aesthetics. It's not purely a case of injecting a dose, it's a case of recognising what will be best for each individual, someone might want their forehead done whereas this might make them look heavy browsled, a good doctor won't necessarily do it but might advise a bit above the eyebrows instead for example, which will create the effect desired. A bad practitioner will just do what you ask. Injectables do work and look good if they are done well. Research is the key.

CookPassBabtridge Fri 12-Jul-19 19:14:47

Not younger, they still look like a 40/50 year old but a fresher, less tired one! You can't look younger because it's about so much more than wrinkles.

Imanamechangeninja Fri 12-Jul-19 19:24:08

Younger is as much about skin tone as wrinkles. I am not wrinkled despite being nearly 60 but my skin was very dull and droopy looking. Now I have ultherapy treatments to boost collagen which has taken away the droopiness and I use glycolic toners and retinal to improve texture and skin tone.

Esspee Fri 12-Jul-19 19:47:35

This has been an interesting read. I have distinct 11s which I would love to make disappear but have no idea what it costs or how long it would last before having to be renewed. Could anyone give me a rough idea please.

MorrisZapp Fri 12-Jul-19 20:47:49

I've had botox four times in between my eyebrows and my DP hasn't noticed. I suspect I'm flying under the radar! I'm absolutely delighted with the results and will keep getting it done.

Cautionsharpblade Fri 12-Jul-19 21:09:55

My friend has Botox regularly and is often mistaken for my daughter when we’re out together. She’s 7 years my junior.

damnson Fri 12-Jul-19 21:10:05

Botox is wonderfully subtle when done right. You do notice the bad jobs and totally disagree with @Loopytiles

Filler on the other hand, fuck that would rather have surgery than a pillow face. Filler is extremely hard to hide

Jencottage Fri 12-Jul-19 21:17:56

It makes me look fresher, not younger. I also love that feeling on my forehead that Botox gives me. I only go to a very reputable doc clinic though, would never chance anything else!

Jencottage Fri 12-Jul-19 21:19:38

If done correctly, filler isn't super obvious ! I have a naturally thin face which is a bit lopsided and love how it fills & evens out my face !

YesQueen Fri 12-Jul-19 22:07:27

With and without
You can still see the shadow of the lines but mostly smoothed. I only have it twice a year if that

Cinammoncake Fri 12-Jul-19 22:09:33

What is looking fresher confused I have never thought this about anyone. What does everyone else look, stale?

My friends who have had botox just don't have wrinkles. One also has fillers. It looks a bit artificial, when you're looking at their face in 3D, as it's moving whereas it looks ok in photos. Other people I've seen with it where it's more obvious look permanently shocked, or a flat bit or almost blistery bit which doesn't match the rest of their face.

mayandjuniper Fri 12-Jul-19 22:12:59

I have fillers. No one except my best friends know. No one can tell. It makes me look better, though I don't know about younger. I would assume it does though as I can easily pass for being in my early twenties.

MsMustDoBetter Fri 12-Jul-19 22:16:41

It makes people look puffy, waxy and expressionless.

Hellosunshine30 Fri 12-Jul-19 22:20:19

My friends get botox and fillers. They're in there late 20s and early 39s.they look daft. So fake and false looking. Ruined their looks.

lazylinguist Fri 12-Jul-19 22:33:19

What's wrong with just looking how you look? I have no idea whether I'd be able to spot well-done botox. I just can't really believe people have toxins injected into their skin in order to get rid of lines that nobody else probably even notices. There's a mum at the school gates here who has clearly had her lips done. They look ridiculous.

Tartyflette Fri 12-Jul-19 22:37:47

I've been spending a fortune on serums, creams and all the bollocks but the wrinkles are really starting to show around my nose and mouth, and my hooded eyelids are getting worse. (Don't get me started on my neck.)
After many years of looking younger than my age it's catching up with me and that's fair enough.
But I don't want to look younger, I just want to be less wrinkled!
IMO, lip fillers are not great and generally quite apparent but I can't say I notice Botox in other people.
TBH I am thinking about it for my eyelids but I'm wary of the 'permanently surprised' effect -- no-one wants to look like Gary Glitter.
😄

TitsInAbsentia Fri 12-Jul-19 22:47:47

I've had it done because I have a frown that makes me look grumpy and a bit unapproachable, that said my husband hasn't ever noticed, which I think goes to show most of what we have done is not due to the eye of the beholder!

RosaWaiting Fri 12-Jul-19 23:01:07

Nom you thought Lisa Hilton was 54?!

Thank you for alerting me to the programme though!

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 12-Jul-19 23:28:50

If I had the money, I'd want the same person Gillian Anderson uses, I think she looks amazing, but realistically I can't get into it because it will become another debt.Also, I imagine it's like decorating your house, you're happy with how good the living room looks, but now the dining room needs doing and before I know it Id look like Donnatella Vesarche (minus the nice clothes).

Im puzzled by lip fillers because from what I've seen, everyone seems to have the same standard sausage/duck pout, I'd just like my lip shape but fuller, yet there does not seem to be this option.If me and my friend had it done, I don't want us to have the same lips, just our own shape but fuller.Maybe, it's just where I live, everyone goes to their local box standard beautician, I'm shocked how many people actually have the money for it to be honest.

jennymanara Sat 13-Jul-19 01:22:13

Generally people look their age. But everyone who has ever asked me to guess how old they are, I knock between 5 and 10 years off what I actually think. I suspect most people do the same.
I also think it is sad that our society is all about youth.

NeckPainChairSearch Sat 13-Jul-19 01:28:38

Agree that Gillian Anderson looks fantastic. I also think Sarah Jessica Parker looks great.

I probably agree in the main, OP. Botox etc. doesn't make people look younger. My Sil has it done - she goes to an incredibly expensive place and it works for her. I had zero idea she's had botox - she just looks really well.

It's not for me though. I like my face on the whole and don't mind the odd sign of aging.

YesQueen Sat 13-Jul-19 01:30:36

@lazylinguist I never had lines. Then I spent months in excruciating pain to a point where they couldn't give any stronger pain relief and I was still pacing with pain
I had a massive operation to stop me being paralysed and had a long recovery

After that I looked in the mirror one day and went "Jesus" because I had pain written all over my face still. It wasn't ageing, it was months with a screwed up face! It bothered me and so I had Botox. I didn't want to look younger, I just wanted to not look like I was in agony all the time grin

CSIblonde Sat 13-Jul-19 02:21:15

Depends on your budget & the skill of your provider probably. Watching Real Housewives of New Jersey reunion: they looked like plastic, drag versions of those new 'lifelike' £5K sex dolls. Only the sex dolls look more natural: albeit in a 'US porny teen' way. The New York & Beverly Hills lot don't look too bad at all tho & are all way richer.

HelenaDove Sat 13-Jul-19 02:21:50

@mumofthemonsters808 this is what i wonder...............where the bloody hell people are getting the money. We are always hearing how young people are short of money yet many of them are having lip fillers etc after being influenced by things like Love Island LI got criticized for showing adverts for a clinic during commercial breaks.
It has become far too normalized.

julensaor Sat 13-Jul-19 03:47:10

You are entirely correct OP, there is not one single person I have seen in real life or on TV that it makes look younger. The essence of a young face is one that moves naturally around the bone underlying the tissue, with elasticity. Everyone can tell if you have fillers @mayandjuniper; maybe take a frown line out; but if you need to do it, do it; it just makes people older looking and re-emphasises the lack of elasticity in the skin.

CharlieBoo Sat 13-Jul-19 04:04:51

I think if you know what you’re looking for it’s obvious... it definitely changes the face, I’m not against it at all, lots of my friends have it, it just does something weird to the eyebrows... like they go really pointy in the middle ... total give away

GlendaSugarbeanIsJudgingYou Sat 13-Jul-19 05:39:29

I'm not sure.

SIL had it done and genuinely looks amazing. She doesn't look pulled or frozen which was a shock to me because I always advised her against it.

I think it depends on where on your face you have it done and how often.

Rock4please Sat 13-Jul-19 05:51:39

Try it OP, but go somewhere reputable. What have you to lose? I honestly don't know why some people make such a big deal about having it. I just see it in the same category as having highlights in my hair, just general maintenance.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Sat 13-Jul-19 05:55:43

YANBU.

People with fillers just look like people with fillers.

They are not magically transformed into their 19 year old self.

I have not read the thread but I suspect people will say "oh but I have them only very subtly so no one can tell". Let me say here: they CAN tell. And you look weird.

Or if they can't tell, what's the point in having it done?

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Sat 13-Jul-19 06:08:32

I also think the best way to live your life is to accept your looks and be happy.

I am 38 and starting to notice the onset of ageing. My skin looks worse than it ever has and things are looking a bit saggy.

BUT, I have made a conscious decision that whatever happens to my face - so what? It's me. It has nothing to do with who I am, what I do, who I love or who loves me. It's the immutable march of time. I have friends who have died in their 20s and 30s and will never get a wrinkle.

Clearly I would love to look young forever, but it just doesn't work like that. "You too will get old", as Baz Lurman says. Just make the most of your life and don't stress about looking haggered, or tired or old.

justrestinginmybankaccount Sat 13-Jul-19 06:20:21

I was a massive sceptic and then got it done at 43, told absolutely nobody. I was exhausted with two young kids and thought if I can’t get enough sleep I’m going to fake it.

It looked great, it really did, but I felt like a fraud. I kept getting compliments - I basically looked rested and healthier but I never got it down again. I was happy when rhe sensation came back.

My friend got it done somewhere else. She looked like the Lion King. Eyebrows curling up her forehead and she looked angry because of the shape her eyebrows took. I thought it looked awful.

I bet I can tell anyone - good jobs too - who has had it done. You get an eye for it, even the good jobs.

Jon65 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:40:42

@YesQueen no offence intended but it looks puffy and unatural.

YesQueen Sat 13-Jul-19 10:07:35

@Jon65 that's half a face pic. Trust me, it does not look puffy. Botox shouldn't make anyone look puffy as it's not filler anyway? It's freezing muscles

ittooshallpass Sat 13-Jul-19 10:28:16

Apart from disliking the many fake/odd looking faces everywhere I look,the biggest reason I wouldn't have it done is that I don't see how injecting poison into your face isn't going to have a knock on effect somewhere down the line.

I just think of the terrible health problems that silicone breast implants caused and wonder if, in the next 10 years of so, Botox will be causing similar issues.

TwinkleWings Sat 13-Jul-19 10:55:10

I reckon I've got an eye for it and yes I can tell. Even the "good" jobs. Because it just makes people look shiny and smooth and my 3 year old forehead doesn't even look like that

If people feel better about having it done, fair play. But it just gets rid of wrinkles that add character to a face and make them look personable.

And as PPs had said - being so casual about injecting a toxin into your face is quite scary!

I've fleetingly thought about it but in all honesty I would never get it done.

And yes fillers are awful. Especially lip fillers. Everyone is just turning into clones with the same eyebrows and lips and ridiculous teeth

swissmilk Sat 13-Jul-19 11:20:41

I agree, the face and how many lines/wrinkles you have is only part of what ages someone.
Your body, posture, neck, hair, voice, mannerisms, vocabulary, style, energy, attitude and a million other things add up to your age.
Having a smooth shiny face just means you've spent money on beauty treatments, it doesn't make you seem younger in my opinion, and those who kid themselves that it does are in denial.

userxx Sat 13-Jul-19 11:25:22

@Jon65 Puffy? I really can't see anything puffy. You do know Botox doesn't puff things out?

teddypasty Sat 13-Jul-19 11:37:15

I reckon I've got an eye for it and yes I can tell. Even the "good" jobs. Because it just makes people look shiny and smooth and my 3 year old forehead doesn't even look like that

You cannot possibly know this! Surely you can see how this doesn't make any sense?

My sister had it for years and I never noticed until she told me. Although when she said how much it was and how often it had to be done I was shocked at the expense!

jennymanara Sat 13-Jul-19 12:03:03

I have almost no wrinkle lines, I look every year of my age. No botox though. Unless someone has lots and lots of wrinkles it is elasticity of skin that makes a difference.
I think younger looking skin is down to genetics, staying out of the sun, not smoking and not drinking alcohol.

TwinkleWings Sat 13-Jul-19 12:50:18

@teddypasty it does make sense. I reckon/believe that I can tell. I genuinely do. I don't KNOW FOR CERTAIN this is the case, I cannot prove this is the case. But I reckon it's the case.

jennymanara Sat 13-Jul-19 12:59:44

I have seen women with those shiny type of foreheads. I always thought it was not a good look but did not realise it was botox causing it.

Bignicetree Sat 13-Jul-19 13:09:22

Agree with OP

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sat 13-Jul-19 13:52:55

Depends on how it's applied, who applies it, how often you get it done, where you have it done on your face and much more besides.

I'm 42 and naturally (luckily) have very few wrinkles, except a line across my forehead and two deep furrows between my brows. I get Botox twice a year, I still have some movement to my forehead, my line across has gone completely and the furrows have softened remarkably.

My ex-DP gets very regular Botox and as a result has that shiny, stretched, frozen look on his forehead, which is the look I'm definitely avoiding.

This isn't a stealth boast, but I genuinely believe it can look natural and people are often surprised when they learn my age and say they thought I was at least 10 years younger and I get ID'd often in supermarkets. So I'm happy with Botox keeping the wrinkles at bay a bit longer.

Teddybear45 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:59:38

Depends on the age you have them. Often they can make you look younger (and natural) if you start them in your 20s-40s before the wrinkles get too deep-set and then keep topping them up. If you start when the wrinkles are already deep then the goal of botox should he to reduce not eliminate.

Cinammoncake Sat 13-Jul-19 13:59:48

* I get ID'd often in supermarkets*

confused are you saying you're 42 but people in supermarkets think you're under 18?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »