Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed by M&S’s LittleShop?

(215 Posts)
CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 20:36:35

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food-to-order/little-shop

It’s such a waste of plastic and the cardboard shop costs £10!

No one needs this and it’s such a waste.

M&S say you can return the plastic toys in store to be recycled into playground toys, but that will ultimately end up in landfill presumably. And it assumes all items are returned for recycling, which with the best will in the world is overly optimistic.

You receive a collectible for each £20 spent, there are 25 items to collect. So you will need to spend at least £500 to get them all!

When the World is unable to safely dispose of the plastic we have created already, we don’t need more. Poor show M&S!!

INeedToThrowItAllOut Wed 04-Sep-19 00:33:32

Very late to this thread and very late becoming aware of this promotion but I just watched the advert linked above

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8T1pQXGog&app=desktop

which is hilarious in a very wrong way. It features Louis Spence dancing like a maniac.

The first comment on YouTube is

Infectious Sheep
1 month ago
You can't buy what he's on at M&S sadly

which once you've watched it makes it even more hilarious.

HeadintheiClouds Thu 18-Jul-19 19:25:05

Arf at opening the little package expecting to have a nibble grin. You can see why she was confused, being handed a tiny replica cheese

hbowyers Thu 18-Jul-19 19:22:50

gotmychocolateimgood I agree that the timing is bad, especially with Blue Planet and War on Plastic showing us the environmental damage caused by our over consumption of plastic.

For anyone annoyed with M&S for running this plastic promotion please sign our petition [[ chng.it/qxGNBJ7Z ]]

gotmychocolateimgood Thu 18-Jul-19 18:56:55

I think a lot of us are just realising how unnecessary a lot of stuff we buy is. It's ingrained into our culture to want to buy stuff. But it's harmful and needs to stop. We all have too much.
M&S have timed this promotion appallingly badly as the population is just waking up to the problems of plastic overproduction.

nitgel Thu 18-Jul-19 18:54:51

as an aside a woman on radio london was talking about this.

she thought they were giving away small samples and opened the little cheese to find a piece of foam grin

scattercushion17 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:53:42

I'm waiting for better packaging for percy pigs and other sweets. So wasteful.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:51:12

Xpost Pumper

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:49:15

Honestly Pumper for my own sanity I'm going to step away from this debate/argument (whatever you would like to call it* I'm not following your train of thought and can't understand your interpretation of what I've said.
This conversation is jumping around all over the place. Sorry!

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:48:57

Oh god, I don’t even care. I’ve spent all day waiting for appointments today and I’ve been on my phone so long my eyes are sore. This tat-for-tat non-debate is ridiculous, I think I’m going to hide the thread. Best of luck to you WhiteDust and your recycling flowers

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:45:54

What argument?! That it’s not hypocritical to sign a petition even though you shop at M&S? That it’s not hypocritical to do your best and not be perfect but still try?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:43:50

Pumper Give in to your argument!

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:42:43

Me: * By all means petition against M&S (and practically every big corporate chain) and their crappy fake eco policies/ hypocrisy and massive carbon footprint but petition against all of it - look at what these places sell... most of their products will end up in landfill at some point and /or are unnecessary, unneeded. Really.*

Yes! Be up in arms about the WHOLE industry- not just a small part of it!

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:40:52

Give in to what?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:38:54

* All or nothing.*
Quote whereI say all or nothing and I'll give in.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:26:11

That was your first contribution to the thread, remember. I copied it earlier. All or nothing.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:23:58

* And those whose kids have ever had plastic toys.*

You've lost me...

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:22:30

* it was more the name calling and ridicule I was objecting too. I already said upthread I understood WhiteDust’s point, although I disagree with it.*

Who have I 'name called'?
I said that certain actions were 'f'ing ridiculous' IMO but no personal attacks.
I'm going to have to check now...

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:20:05

*I’m just pointing out that plenty of people will love it.
My experience (although a few years old and from another part of the world) is that the campaign will be a success and many people will consider this small fry in huge issue of a wider plastic problem.*

I’m sure you’re right, I know loads of people who buy the freebie toy magazines without ever giving it a second’s though. I still think it’s worth signing a petition though.

MrsLion Thu 18-Jul-19 18:18:28

Sure it’s more plastic use and some people will hate it and boycott it. I get that.

My point is that there is an assumption on this thread that everyone feels the same. I’m just pointing out that plenty of people will love it.
My experience (although a few years old and from another part of the world) is that the campaign will be a success and many people will consider this small fry in huge issue of a wider plastic problem.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:16:48

Of course not. Only those who fill their trolly full of plastic wrapped food and throw their arms in the air because they've just been offered a miniature plastic toy!

And those whose kids have ever had plastic toys.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:15:55

* WhiteDust was pointing out she does her bit, but is not perfect.*
She thinks this M&S campaign is not particularly offensive compared to the multiple excess plastic use going on in our society.
It’s not that hard to understand Pumper.

Thank you for that Lion. I'm starting to lose the will to live.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:15:18

MrsLion it was more the name calling and ridicule I was objecting too. I already said upthread I understood WhiteDust’s point, although I disagree with it.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:12:58

* Do you still think everyone who objects to this is a hypocrite?*

Of course not. Only those who fill their trolly full of plastic wrapped food and throw their arms in the air because they've just been offered a miniature plastic toy!

MrsLion Thu 18-Jul-19 18:11:51

WhiteDust was pointing out she does her bit, but is not perfect.
She thinks this M&S campaign is not particularly offensive compared to the multiple excess plastic use going on in our society.
It’s not that hard to understand Pumper.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:10:05

Or do you mean you don’t think YOU are a hypocrite despite doing the thing you’re accusing everyone else of?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »