Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed by M&S’s LittleShop?

(215 Posts)
CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 20:36:35

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food-to-order/little-shop

It’s such a waste of plastic and the cardboard shop costs £10!

No one needs this and it’s such a waste.

M&S say you can return the plastic toys in store to be recycled into playground toys, but that will ultimately end up in landfill presumably. And it assumes all items are returned for recycling, which with the best will in the world is overly optimistic.

You receive a collectible for each £20 spent, there are 25 items to collect. So you will need to spend at least £500 to get them all!

When the World is unable to safely dispose of the plastic we have created already, we don’t need more. Poor show M&S!!

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:08:44

* But no, we’re all hypocrites. Except you.

Do you still think everyone who objects to this is a hypocrite? Still hypocritical to change one thing instead of everything or nothing?

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:41

*There are more pressing concerns related to plastic and packaging than this marketing campaign - like the ludicrous packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables, continued use of single use plastic bags despite the ban, the so-called biodegradable plastics which are actually very damaging and the future consequences of everyone thinking paper is
‘Environmentally friendly’ and demanding it.*

But most people know about this already, it’s already in existence. I think most people on this thread are objecting to M&S introducing more unnecessary plastic at a time when they should be reducing it.

SolsticeBabyMaybe Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:39

They clearly don't know their target audience 😂 have seen more concern about the environment on MN than anywhere else online!

Now, if they had made little wooden toys 😏

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:04

* But no, we’re all hypocrites. Except you.*

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:04:22

You have chosen to respond to my posts and keep making the same point which I disagree with!

Which point do you disagree with?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:04:19

MrsLion: I think most of you on here bemoaning the horrors and atrocities of a small plastic toy and saying you don’t understand the appeal will be surprised to see how many people don’t* share this view.*

There are more pressing concerns related to plastic and packaging than this marketing campaign - like the ludicrous packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables, continued use of single use plastic bags despite the ban, the so-called biodegradable plastics which are actually very damaging and the future consequences of everyone thinking paper is
‘*Environmentally friendly’ and demanding it.*

This. I agree entirely.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:01:53

Pumper
You keep saying the same thing! You have chosen to respond to my posts and keep making the same point which I disagree with!
I don't know what you want me to say! You are right and I am wrong? What do you want to achieve?

MrsLion Thu 18-Jul-19 17:59:55

I have know these campaigns very well as I work in the fmcg industry. Not on the retailer side but for a food manufacturer.
When New World (New Zealand) did this, (3 times I believe) it went absolutely berserk.
Kids loved them. Actually so did adults. No different to Sylvanian families at all. Little food items collected, played with and kept.
My daughter still has some in her dolls house.

Coles then did it in Australia - which did get some negativity around the plastic, but overall was a success.

M&S have mistimed this campaign and potentially their consumers are not quite the right target market. But I think most of you on here bemoaning the horrors and atrocities of a small plastic toy and saying you don’t understand the appeal will be surprised to see how many people don’t share this view.

There are more pressing concerns related to plastic and packaging than this marketing campaign - like the ludicrous packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables, continued use of single use plastic bags despite the ban, the so-called biodegradable plastics which are actually very damaging and the future consequences of everyone thinking paper is
‘Environmentally friendly’ and demanding it.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 17:41:14

What a weird thing to say!

Also, those were your exact words, I just repeated them to show you how ridiculous it was to suggest not giving a shit unless you’re totally eco-friendly.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 17:37:23

Sure. As far as I can see this was your first post:

Do none of your children play with toys made out of plastic? Ever?

All or nothing. If you care about this campaign then your children should never have any plastic toys. And then later on, called us hypocrites.

I don’t think anyone has said they willingly support all the plastic wrap m&s uses but scoff at this one thing. I think most people are annoyed that so many plastic already exists so why add more? Especially more shit, tiny pieces of tat.

But no, we’re all hypocrites. Except you.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 17:20:12

* One would assume that if you bother to recycle, you’re also pretty committed to the cause, otherwise why bother?*

What a weird thing to say! Of course you still bother!
My objection is still aimed at people who claim to be virtuous but are not really.. As I said WAY up thread: those who fill their trolly with plastic wrapped food at M&S (hard to buy anything in their food hall that isn't) and then get to the tills and throw their arms up at the free plastic giveaways.
I don't see how that is so hard to understand.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 15:30:31

One would assume that if you are starting petitions, writing letters of complaint or lobbying MPs - you are pretty committed to the cause.

That’s hilarious, the last attempt to try and make your claims a bit more credible. One would assume that if you bother to recycle, you’re also pretty committed to the cause, otherwise why bother? Going by your logic, you should just not recycle if you don’t care about m&s. All or nothing, just as you wanted it.

Most people, including you, do the best they can. Imagine a world where most people did the best they could and at the same time protested against more unnecessary plastic crap being forced on the world. Would that not be a lot more proactive that doing the best you can and NOT protesting?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 15:22:05

* Has anyone, one single person, on this thread claimed to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle?*

One would assume that if you are starting petitions, writing letters of complaint or lobbying MPs - you are pretty committed to the cause.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 15:14:27

If you claim to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle you can't just pick and choose what you find offensive and what you don't.

Has anyone, one single person, on this thread claimed to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle? Has anyone claimed to be perfect?

You pick and choose. You recycle. You don’t care about m&s. You picked and chose recycle. You didn’t pick unnecessary plastic tat.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 15:05:41

* You say that we’re hypocritical for not living a 100% eco-lifestyle while complaining about m&s.*
My point is - you do the same. Why care about one thing (recycling) and not any other unnecessary waste?

I don't claim to be massively eco-friendly. I recycle/reuse what I can but am not fully committed.
If you claim to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle you can't just pick and choose what you find offensive and what you don't.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:56:41

Eh?!! I am not the OP!! I'm not getting my knickers in a twist re.Little shop, I am not rallying against M&S and all of their useless things! I'm not starting up petitions!

You said you recycle while still buying toys and wasteful plastic - that was your post. You say that we’re hypocritical for not living a 100% eco-lifestyle while complaining about m&s.

My point is - you do the same. Why care about one thing (recycling) and not any other unnecessary waste? Why are you any less of a hypocrite for caring about one thing (recycling) while not being 100% eco-friendly yourself?

You can’t give me an answer to that, because it’s illogical. Why recycle, according to your own logic? If you’re not 100% eco-friendly, why bother?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:49:10

* But that’s exactly what you do! You recycle while at the same time fill your house with more wasteful plastic.*

Eh?!! I am not the OP!! I'm not getting my knickers in a twist re.Little shop, I am not rallying against M&S and all of their useless things! I'm not starting up petitions!

If I were to do any of the above I'd make damn sure my recycling and cut back on waste was a lot more thorough than it is now FIRST!

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:43:21

I say that if you are going to rally against M&S for giving away small plastic items you need to make sure you are not, at the same time, filling your house with other small plastic items/toys e.g. Lego.

But that’s exactly what you do! You recycle while at the same time fill your house with more wasteful plastic. If everyone here is a hypocrite for not living a 100% eco-friendly life and yet still objecting to more plastic shit being released into the wild then so are you for recycling while not being 100% eco-friendly yourself.

That’s why your argument is illogical. Most people do the best they can, and doing the best they can while protesting against more plastic tat seems like a good way to go to me.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:37:58

* I understand your argument, it’s just illogical. That’s why you can’t give me an explanation.*

How is my argument illogical?

I said that I recycle but still buy far too much plastic so am far from perfect.

I said that if you get your knickers in a twist because M&S are giving away plastic toys yet at the same time you are filling your trolly with a load of plastic wrapped food,, toys, makeup (or whatever else they sell) you are hypocritical.

I say that if you are going to rally against M&S for giving away small plastic items you need to make sure you are not, at the same time, filling your house with other small plastic items/toys e.g. Lego.

I don't know what there is not to understand.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:16:18

Whichever it is, give it a rest. You don't understand what I have said and I CBA to explain.

I understand your argument, it’s just illogical. That’s why you can’t give me an explanation.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:11:47

Pumper
OMG. Clearly you have
a) not read all of my posts and the context in which they were written
b) are interpreting them in your own random way.

Whichever it is, give it a rest. You don't understand what I have said and I CBA to explain.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:11:04

Surely you, following your own logic, should care about all of it or none of it?
My last reply was in response to this.

That doesn’t make sense - you don’t agree with your own argument. You recycle but don’t care about plastic consumption. So are you a hypocrite for recycling? You don’t care about all of it, but you clearly care enough to recycle- isn’t that a bit hypocritical, following your own logic?

Conkeee Thu 18-Jul-19 14:09:57

This campaign is nothing when you consider the stuff that gets sent to landfill everyday by large companies. You would be absolutely frothing if you knew the amount the company I work for sends and none of it is bio-degradable. This is small fry.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:07:20

* Surely you, following your own logic, should care about all of it or none of it?*
My last reply was in response to this.

dozy12345 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:06:36

newpapuaguinea I agree on focusing on the hugely successful food business and their use of single use plastic

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »