Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed by M&S’s LittleShop?

(215 Posts)
CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 20:36:35

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food-to-order/little-shop

It’s such a waste of plastic and the cardboard shop costs £10!

No one needs this and it’s such a waste.

M&S say you can return the plastic toys in store to be recycled into playground toys, but that will ultimately end up in landfill presumably. And it assumes all items are returned for recycling, which with the best will in the world is overly optimistic.

You receive a collectible for each £20 spent, there are 25 items to collect. So you will need to spend at least £500 to get them all!

When the World is unable to safely dispose of the plastic we have created already, we don’t need more. Poor show M&S!!

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 12:26:00

Sorry the second comment was was in reply to The items are tiny, they are not realistically going to be a significant part of any child’s play.

Sylvanian families are quite popular aren't they? grin

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 12:28:34

There’s some serious point missing going on here.

mrsbyers Tue 16-Jul-19 12:29:11

Sod the kids I'm going to collect the full set for me - they're adorable

tenthreginald Tue 16-Jul-19 12:29:51

@Jishuwa That annoyed me too! The sizing is all wrong!

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 12:35:23

* What about shitty vegan plastic leather that is everywhere these days?*

gringringrin The world is full of hypocrites! I agree!

FurrySlipperBoots Tue 16-Jul-19 12:40:59

Of course people shouldn't take them if they won't use them. They should refuse them at the till and there should be collection bins for those who absent-mindedly accept them and realise they won't use them on the way out.

BUT I still don't have a problem with the concept. My little ones are still using food shaped novelty rubbers with the dolls house that they've been using for 8 years or so.

Yes, they could end up down the side of the sofa/going up the hoover/getting lost in the great outdoors, but no more than Lego, Playmobil, Sylvanian families and other miniature small world toys.

Don't get me wrong, there's far too much plastic tat out there and that I do have a problem with - even expensive highly marketed 'toys' with very little actual play value. And something needs to be done about it. But this initiative of M&S' is not one I have a problem with.

Unburnished Tue 16-Jul-19 12:41:10

They seem to have a talent for creating useless plastic crap, destined for landfill. Look at their clothes.

I don't understand how they consistently get everything wrong.

herculepoirot2 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:41:28

And people seem to have completely ignored that the kitchen is made of cardboard (better)! The toys might be plastic but they’re smaller than usual plastic kitchen toys (better). And the packaging on them is paper, not plastic (better).

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 12:44:42

Do you work in M&S marketing department @Herculepoirot2?

herculepoirot2 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:45:44

Alsohuman

I do not.

Skinnychip Tue 16-Jul-19 13:44:43

Sylvanian families last forever and are often on ebay. My DD made quite a bit of money selling hers last year (some of which were 2nd hand to begin with) so i think not comparable than cheaply made "freebies"
I also have issue with kids magazines with cheapo plastic shit on the front to entice kids to buy them.

Diemme Tue 16-Jul-19 13:58:08

I do get the point but I'm still in the 'ridiculous to vilify them for a small range' camp. A quick Google search shows that lego, who make nothing but plastic toys, is worth more than m&s in its entirety and no one gives them a thought. We all have a responsibility to reduce our plastic usage but a complete elimination of plastic is not going to happen overnight. And randomly selecting one minuscule range of toys to be the subject of a witch hunt helps in no way whatsoever.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 16-Jul-19 14:01:44

Headintheclouds - there apparently was a teeny trolley that went with the set, but that sold out very fast. The trolley the boys have is a toy supermarket trolley that you would buy in a toyshop, except we found it on the roadside (it's common in Australia for people to put stuff out on the roadside they no longer have any use for - council pick it up 4 times a year where we are - you can get some really good stuff for free that way!) So the trolley is the "wrong size" for the goods, but it holds all the spares way more easily! grin

HeadintheiClouds Tue 16-Jul-19 14:20:26

I see grin. It sounds as cute as hell, actually.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 16-Jul-19 14:28:35

Wow, just googled to see if I could find a pic of the Coles trolley and if anyone was in any doubt about the collectability of this shit, here ya go!!
complete set with trolley and basket

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 16-Jul-19 14:51:35

The M&S trolley was cute, but it was out of proportion to the basket. I thought the basket would be useful for storing hair bands etc.

onlyjustme Tue 16-Jul-19 16:55:18

I was outraged... or disappointed... actually haven't found the right word.
Actually thought it was April 1st when I found out!
I have always been really impressed with M&S policy, quietly getting on with it in the background, not making a fuss but making changes to become more ethical.
So when I read about the toy giveaway... They are "recyclable" but we know where most are destined.
Bewildered... maybe that's it!
(The toys are really really cute though... argh!)

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 17:45:20

onlyjustme outraged and disappointed! The plastic ones (75% of the toys) are recyclable, but only if they are returned to the store, which will rarely happen. our petition now has 2100+ signatures.

FurrySlipperBoots Tue 16-Jul-19 18:27:06

@hbowyers

Hope you're going to start a campaign against CBeebies magazine too, and McDonalds Happy Meals...

CraicMammy Tue 16-Jul-19 19:03:32

FurrySlipperBoots

Hope you're going to start a campaign against CBeebies magazine too, and McDonalds Happy Meals...

I think @hbowyers had already done a great job (thank you btw - I’ve signed!) why don’t you start those petitions if you feel that way?

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 19:06:51

FurrySlipperBoots M&S are supposed to be reducing plastic, but appear to have binned "Plan A". That is why so many people are disappointed and is why we started the petition.

There is plastic everywhere, but we have to start somewhere. It is impossible to fix all of it immediately. Or should we just do nothing and just watch the plastic rubbish kill our fish, contaminate the air we breathe etc etc and say to our kids, oh well there was so much of it we couldn't be bothered to take a stand?

There has already been a huge campaign against happy meal toys and it is resulting in mcdonalds taking action.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 19:11:17

thanks CraicMammy, the petition now has 2200+ signatures in 5 days, so there are a lot of people who are unhappy with this unnecessary plastic promotion.

Pumperthepumper Tue 16-Jul-19 20:14:38

Environmental issues, feminism and veganism seem to be the places where people are absolutely desperate to look for hypocrisy. You can make such easy changes to reduce your plastic intake and look after the planet a tiny bit, such as buying or making reusable wraps, coffee cups, straws etc. You can buy decent plastic toys, like Lego (I’ll wait for someone to tell me how unethical Lego is, but it’s resusable, intuitive, easily stored and passed on). You can refuse to buy magazines with easily breakable plastic tat that your kid will break/lose/stop playing with within five minutes. You can buy tubs of yoghurts instead of little tiny individual ones. You can plant seeds for pollinators, don’t leave the tap running when you’re brushing your teeth, feed your cat tins of food rather than pouches. Recycle properly. Reuse carrier bags. Don’t support shit, plastic-heavy marketing campaigns for massive conglomerates.

So many little, easy steps to do a tiny, tiny bit of good to the planet - but no, you have to live a 100% carbon-free eco friendly lifestyle ALL THE TIME or you’re a hypocrite. Such a lazy argument.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 16-Jul-19 20:27:12

but no, you have to live a 100% carbon-free eco friendly lifestyle ALL THE TIME or you’re a hypocrite. Such a lazy argument.

Just going to copy this and repost it as it is so true!

I seriously don't understand the viewpoint of starting such a stupid idea at a time when plastic pollution and cutting down on plastic is such a key global issue.

At least for many of the other culprits, e.g Mcdonalds for their sins have the excuse they have been doing it for decades. Although even they have been cutting back and including happy meal toys that are more sustainable such as books. To start now seems so far out of touch it truly boggles my brain.

maddiemookins16mum Tue 16-Jul-19 20:35:21

I do trust that every single person slating them can put their hand on their heart and swear they’ve never ever used a disposable nappy.

Thought not.

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 20:39:19

Hand in air and waving!

Pumperthepumper Tue 16-Jul-19 20:41:37

I do trust that every single person slating them can put their hand on their heart and swear they’ve never ever used a disposable nappy.

Another lazy argument. Disposable nappies, while terrible for the environment, have a function. They’re cheap, easy to use, hygienic and are generally used for a short time. They’re not great, but they have place. A lot of people can’t afford the upfront costs of non-disposables, plus the cost of washing and drying them, and having a big enough stash to always have some available. In an ideal world, we would all use non-disposable nappies. But we’re not in an ideal world.

Now tell me why spending £20 on M&S food to get a crappy, plastic, easily lose-able, limited function, only-used-for-marketing-for-the-massive-conglomerate TINY toy is equivalent to using disposable nappies.

tenthreginald Tue 16-Jul-19 20:43:25

*Another lazy argument. Disposable nappies, while terrible for the environment, have a function. They’re cheap, easy to use, hygienic and are generally used for a short time. They’re not great, but they have place. A lot of people can’t afford the upfront costs of non-disposables, plus the cost of washing and drying them, and having a big enough stash to always have some available. In an ideal world, we would all use non-disposable nappies. But we’re not in an ideal world.

Now tell me why spending £20 on M&S food to get a crappy, plastic, easily lose-able, limited function, only-used-for-marketing-for-the-massive-conglomerate TINY toy is equivalent to using disposable nappies.*

This

megletthesecond Tue 16-Jul-19 20:44:04

Yanbu.

I can only think that this has been in the pipeline for months and it was too late to pull it.

Backhometothenorth Tue 16-Jul-19 20:51:51

Gosh yes I saw this yesterday! It's horrifying and so surprised that M&S are so out of touch regarding plastic use in their marketing

Geraniumpink Tue 16-Jul-19 21:03:09

I felt embarrassed for them because there are plenty of other collectable things that don’t have to be plastic - Morrisons did a summer collectible card thing a few years back.
They could have done seeds or child friendly recipe cards or miniature books. What they’ve chosen to do is to ram plastic and their own products at children just at a time when consumers are developing a conscience.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 16-Jul-19 21:08:38

I still don’t understand who they are targeting.

M&S to me isn’t a family big shop store. I go in and buy fruit because I think it lasts the longest. Cards and the odd pot plant for a birthday. But are these for adults to collect? They are too teeny for kids. It’s the most bizarre thing.

PickAChew Tue 16-Jul-19 21:13:08

I had to quite forcefully turn some down, last week. Pointed out that I have no need for it, so it's a waste of plastic. Now DS1 loved his play shop and all his imitation markses and sainsburys food, when he was little, but he's a hulking great teenager, now!

The tiny shopping baskets are cute, mind.

FurrySlipperBoots Tue 16-Jul-19 21:18:30

@hbowyers

Is that right about Happy Meals? If so that's great! Don't get me wrong, I am definitely against plastic tat per se.

Goforitgirl Tue 16-Jul-19 21:21:12

@FurrySlipperBoots I missed the original comment RE McDonald’s but I can’t believe they’re still giving out that crap these days as well as having the cheek to make us drink through plastic straws whilst doing it!

megletthesecond Tue 16-Jul-19 21:24:20

yy geranium. Seeds would be good. Although it's too late to plant a lot of things this time of year.

IceRebel Wed 17-Jul-19 06:13:25

A quick Google search shows that lego, who make nothing but plastic toys, is worth more than m&s in its entirety and no one gives them a thought.

Even Lego are trying to be more sustainable. They now make botanical elements or pieces such as leaves, bushes and trees, from entirely plant-based plastic. As well as introducing sustainable paper pulp trays for its advent calendar.

It's not a massive impact, and i'm sure they could do much more. But for a company who only make plastic toys at least they're trying.

QueenBeee Wed 17-Jul-19 06:21:48

Google told me that Lego produce 9 BILLION pieces each year.... yes, that's each year!

I think people should get things into perspective regards M&S.

megletthesecond Wed 17-Jul-19 06:40:27

Lego is played with for years though. We've never had a piece break and it can be handed down / sold on.

I've used the Lego advent calendar trays for seedling pots this year.

Goforitgirl Wed 17-Jul-19 07:27:19

How can it be compared to Lego? hmm

HeadintheiClouds Wed 17-Jul-19 08:07:28

Nobody ever has or ever will put Lego in the bin. Stop comparing disposable plastic shite to Lego, it’s just stupid.

DobbyTheHouseElk Wed 17-Jul-19 08:28:31

It’s not comparable to Lego. I still have my 1980’s Lego that the DC play with, its in perfect condition still. No one chucks it out.

hbowyers Wed 17-Jul-19 08:49:49

If you are annoyed with M&S for running this plastic promotion please sign our petition [[ chng.it/qxGNBJ7Z ]]

gotmychocolateimgood Wed 17-Jul-19 10:54:49

Plastic toy kitchens are awful, a cardboard one won't last a week. Far better to get a second hand wooden one from gumtree or Facebook Market place.

REllenR Wed 17-Jul-19 12:14:21

I like them, they will get played with a lot here! Much more than happy meal toys.

WhiteDust Wed 17-Jul-19 15:49:40

Re.lego (bane of my life) I hate the stuff. As for * '*No one chucks it out ' Of course they do! You think every piece of Lego is still in existence? Probably. Half of it in a landfill with all the other plastic tat.

Pumperthepumper Wed 17-Jul-19 17:02:06

How environmentally friendly are you WhiteDust? You seem to be one of the ‘you’re all hypocrites for caring about this one thing’ poster, how’s your eco lifestyle? Perfect? Or do you just not bother with any of it?

IceRebel Wed 17-Jul-19 19:00:54

As for '*No one chucks it out ' Of course they do!*

I can't imagine many people throw out Lego. It gets passed down the family, or sold on. (A lot of it sells for more than it's original price)

I'm not sure the same can be said for the M+S items. I suppose a few months of regular play will leave them in a pretty sorry state.

PinkFlowerFairy Wed 17-Jul-19 21:24:50

Um blush my daughter has fallen in love with them and is quite particular what she plays with.

If er anyone has them and would like to send me some Ill paypal postage...

We dont normally shop in M and S as broke but stopped for something specific snd she loves them...

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Wed 17-Jul-19 21:40:08

Happy meal plastic crap is much worse than this. As is most of the throwaway plastic stuff you buy for kids or whatever.Yet people complain about plastic straws and miniscule toys. I agree none of it it acceptable but once people jump on a bandwagon they often can't see the wood for the trees (sorry for cliche overload!)

WhiteDust Wed 17-Jul-19 22:58:46

* You seem to be one of the ‘you’re all hypocrites for caring about this one thing’ poster, how’s your eco lifestyle? Perfect? Or do you just not bother with any of it?*

I am probably on a par with most people. I separate and recycle all household rubbish, use canvas bags instead of plastic carrier bags, avoid unnecessary plastic waste where I can, carry a drink bottle for water/ avoid using takeout drink cups, buy F&V from local greengrocers... I also buy a load of stuff, makeup, toiletries, (clothes, toys etc.) which I know are wasteful.

So, I am far from perfect.

However, focusing on & vilifying the likes of M&S for producing small toys is ridiculous.
By all means petition against M&S (and practically every big corporate chain) and their crappy fake eco policies/ hypocrisy and massive carbon footprint but petition against all of it - look at what these places sell... most of their products will end up in landfill at some point and /or are unnecessary, unneeded. Really.

Arguing that Lego (for example) is better than a small toy from M&S is f'ing ridiculous. People who are happy to buy a load of stuff wrapped in plastic (from M&S in this instance) or by a ton of bloody Lego envy yet throw their arms up in horror at a few plastic toys at the till are f'king ridiculous AND hypocritical.

WhiteDust Wed 17-Jul-19 23:01:04

Buy not by (and probably a whole load of other sp mistakes- it's late!)

QueenBeee Thu 18-Jul-19 06:47:39

People are determined to trash M&S.
There have been comments in newspapers and on line slating M&S and explaining the simple mistakes they are making with their business.
Hilarious really as most posters have different views. Plus every sales business in the country is having to compete against a non tax paying Amazon so is probably doomed to fail.
This toy thing looks like an attempt to boost their food sales, why not when every other supermarket and chain has gimmicks and offers.
And how it is acceptable for Lego to sell 9 billion bits of plastic A YEAR leaves me speechless. Obviously it is NOT all being reused 'as it lasts for years' or the stuff my DCs used 30 years ago would be being recycled now and there would be no need for 9 Billion more.

JacquesHammer Thu 18-Jul-19 06:58:26

Is anyone actually surprised that M&S is so out of touch?

Seems to be their USP across virtually all departments and decisions.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 07:40:58

I also buy a load of stuff, makeup, toiletries, (clothes, toys etc.) which I know are wasteful.

That’s a bit hypocritical, isn’t it? Surely you should, by your own logic, care about all of it and not buy any wasteful plastic at all or you’re a bit f*cking ridiculous?

Most people don’t agree with the masses of plastic wrap M&S use and a lot of people (like me) don’t buy it. But adding more unnecessary, easily avoidable plastic to a shop with an already huge plastic problem is the issue here. They are adding more, not reducing, in a time when most people are concerned about plastic use. And the plastic they’re adding is cheap, easily lost tat. Like Happy Meal toys, or toy magazines, it’s all shit. We can live without it.

To the PP complaining about Lego - where is the Lego your DC played with 30 years ago, did you bin it?

NewPapaGuinea Thu 18-Jul-19 08:23:12

I don’t really want to be “whataboutery”, but people would have a much bigger environmental impact if they lobbied more reduction on single use plastics. There’s more single use, landfill destined plastic waste in the basket that earned enough points to get one of these toys.

MissEliza Thu 18-Jul-19 08:48:33

I think it shows how out of touch M and S are.

hbowyers Thu 18-Jul-19 09:11:24

Whatever happened to the M&S Plan A and reducing unnecessary plastic? If you are annoyed with M&S for running this plastic promotion please sign our petition [[ chng.it/qxGNBJ7Z ]]

CheshireChat Thu 18-Jul-19 10:37:32

I'm surprised people say they're too small to play with- didn't you guys have Polly Pocket? And now there's Playmobil and Shopkins?!

We don't shop at M&S, but my kid would love and use stuff like this to kit out his Playmobil sets prison.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 12:47:03

* That’s a bit hypocritical, isn’t it? Surely you should, by your own logic, care about all of it and not buy any wasteful plastic at all or you’re a bit f*cking ridiculous?*

Maybe read my post. I said I was far from perfect. hmm

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 12:51:36

Also, yes, It would be very hypocritical of me to get my knickers in a twist over a M&S promotion (I don't).
That's my exact point.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 13:18:45

Also, yes, It would be very hypocritical of me to get my knickers in a twist over a M&S promotion (I don't).
That's my exact point.

No, it’s hypocritical of you to recycle - why care about that one thing when you don’t care about extra plastic tat? Surely you, following your own logic, should care about all of it or none of it?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 13:59:43

* No, it’s hypocritical of you to recycle - why care about that one thing when you don’t care about extra plastic tat? Surely you, following your own logic, should care about all of it or none of it?*

THAT is the EXACT point I was making MYSELF!! hmm

dozy12345 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:05:14

Lego and Duplo are more durable than the small, easily lost collectibles - I wish they’d done a tie in with slyvannian families, I do think M&S is a classic, traditional brand and there is a ton of plastic with kids toys so they don’t deserve special opprobrium.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:05:30

THAT is the EXACT point I was making MYSELF!!

Your point was that you consider yourself a hypocrite for recycling while not caring about plastic consumption?

dozy12345 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:06:36

newpapuaguinea I agree on focusing on the hugely successful food business and their use of single use plastic

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:07:20

* Surely you, following your own logic, should care about all of it or none of it?*
My last reply was in response to this.

Conkeee Thu 18-Jul-19 14:09:57

This campaign is nothing when you consider the stuff that gets sent to landfill everyday by large companies. You would be absolutely frothing if you knew the amount the company I work for sends and none of it is bio-degradable. This is small fry.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:11:04

Surely you, following your own logic, should care about all of it or none of it?
My last reply was in response to this.

That doesn’t make sense - you don’t agree with your own argument. You recycle but don’t care about plastic consumption. So are you a hypocrite for recycling? You don’t care about all of it, but you clearly care enough to recycle- isn’t that a bit hypocritical, following your own logic?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:11:47

Pumper
OMG. Clearly you have
a) not read all of my posts and the context in which they were written
b) are interpreting them in your own random way.

Whichever it is, give it a rest. You don't understand what I have said and I CBA to explain.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:16:18

Whichever it is, give it a rest. You don't understand what I have said and I CBA to explain.

I understand your argument, it’s just illogical. That’s why you can’t give me an explanation.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:37:58

* I understand your argument, it’s just illogical. That’s why you can’t give me an explanation.*

How is my argument illogical?

I said that I recycle but still buy far too much plastic so am far from perfect.

I said that if you get your knickers in a twist because M&S are giving away plastic toys yet at the same time you are filling your trolly with a load of plastic wrapped food,, toys, makeup (or whatever else they sell) you are hypocritical.

I say that if you are going to rally against M&S for giving away small plastic items you need to make sure you are not, at the same time, filling your house with other small plastic items/toys e.g. Lego.

I don't know what there is not to understand.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:43:21

I say that if you are going to rally against M&S for giving away small plastic items you need to make sure you are not, at the same time, filling your house with other small plastic items/toys e.g. Lego.

But that’s exactly what you do! You recycle while at the same time fill your house with more wasteful plastic. If everyone here is a hypocrite for not living a 100% eco-friendly life and yet still objecting to more plastic shit being released into the wild then so are you for recycling while not being 100% eco-friendly yourself.

That’s why your argument is illogical. Most people do the best they can, and doing the best they can while protesting against more plastic tat seems like a good way to go to me.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 14:49:10

* But that’s exactly what you do! You recycle while at the same time fill your house with more wasteful plastic.*

Eh?!! I am not the OP!! I'm not getting my knickers in a twist re.Little shop, I am not rallying against M&S and all of their useless things! I'm not starting up petitions!

If I were to do any of the above I'd make damn sure my recycling and cut back on waste was a lot more thorough than it is now FIRST!

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 14:56:41

Eh?!! I am not the OP!! I'm not getting my knickers in a twist re.Little shop, I am not rallying against M&S and all of their useless things! I'm not starting up petitions!

You said you recycle while still buying toys and wasteful plastic - that was your post. You say that we’re hypocritical for not living a 100% eco-lifestyle while complaining about m&s.

My point is - you do the same. Why care about one thing (recycling) and not any other unnecessary waste? Why are you any less of a hypocrite for caring about one thing (recycling) while not being 100% eco-friendly yourself?

You can’t give me an answer to that, because it’s illogical. Why recycle, according to your own logic? If you’re not 100% eco-friendly, why bother?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 15:05:41

* You say that we’re hypocritical for not living a 100% eco-lifestyle while complaining about m&s.*
My point is - you do the same. Why care about one thing (recycling) and not any other unnecessary waste?

I don't claim to be massively eco-friendly. I recycle/reuse what I can but am not fully committed.
If you claim to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle you can't just pick and choose what you find offensive and what you don't.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 15:14:27

If you claim to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle you can't just pick and choose what you find offensive and what you don't.

Has anyone, one single person, on this thread claimed to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle? Has anyone claimed to be perfect?

You pick and choose. You recycle. You don’t care about m&s. You picked and chose recycle. You didn’t pick unnecessary plastic tat.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 15:22:05

* Has anyone, one single person, on this thread claimed to be fully committed to the eco-friendly lifestyle?*

One would assume that if you are starting petitions, writing letters of complaint or lobbying MPs - you are pretty committed to the cause.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 15:30:31

One would assume that if you are starting petitions, writing letters of complaint or lobbying MPs - you are pretty committed to the cause.

That’s hilarious, the last attempt to try and make your claims a bit more credible. One would assume that if you bother to recycle, you’re also pretty committed to the cause, otherwise why bother? Going by your logic, you should just not recycle if you don’t care about m&s. All or nothing, just as you wanted it.

Most people, including you, do the best they can. Imagine a world where most people did the best they could and at the same time protested against more unnecessary plastic crap being forced on the world. Would that not be a lot more proactive that doing the best you can and NOT protesting?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 17:20:12

* One would assume that if you bother to recycle, you’re also pretty committed to the cause, otherwise why bother?*

What a weird thing to say! Of course you still bother!
My objection is still aimed at people who claim to be virtuous but are not really.. As I said WAY up thread: those who fill their trolly with plastic wrapped food at M&S (hard to buy anything in their food hall that isn't) and then get to the tills and throw their arms up at the free plastic giveaways.
I don't see how that is so hard to understand.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 17:37:23

Sure. As far as I can see this was your first post:

Do none of your children play with toys made out of plastic? Ever?

All or nothing. If you care about this campaign then your children should never have any plastic toys. And then later on, called us hypocrites.

I don’t think anyone has said they willingly support all the plastic wrap m&s uses but scoff at this one thing. I think most people are annoyed that so many plastic already exists so why add more? Especially more shit, tiny pieces of tat.

But no, we’re all hypocrites. Except you.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 17:41:14

What a weird thing to say!

Also, those were your exact words, I just repeated them to show you how ridiculous it was to suggest not giving a shit unless you’re totally eco-friendly.

MrsLion Thu 18-Jul-19 17:59:55

I have know these campaigns very well as I work in the fmcg industry. Not on the retailer side but for a food manufacturer.
When New World (New Zealand) did this, (3 times I believe) it went absolutely berserk.
Kids loved them. Actually so did adults. No different to Sylvanian families at all. Little food items collected, played with and kept.
My daughter still has some in her dolls house.

Coles then did it in Australia - which did get some negativity around the plastic, but overall was a success.

M&S have mistimed this campaign and potentially their consumers are not quite the right target market. But I think most of you on here bemoaning the horrors and atrocities of a small plastic toy and saying you don’t understand the appeal will be surprised to see how many people don’t share this view.

There are more pressing concerns related to plastic and packaging than this marketing campaign - like the ludicrous packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables, continued use of single use plastic bags despite the ban, the so-called biodegradable plastics which are actually very damaging and the future consequences of everyone thinking paper is
‘Environmentally friendly’ and demanding it.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:01:53

Pumper
You keep saying the same thing! You have chosen to respond to my posts and keep making the same point which I disagree with!
I don't know what you want me to say! You are right and I am wrong? What do you want to achieve?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:04:19

MrsLion: I think most of you on here bemoaning the horrors and atrocities of a small plastic toy and saying you don’t understand the appeal will be surprised to see how many people don’t* share this view.*

There are more pressing concerns related to plastic and packaging than this marketing campaign - like the ludicrous packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables, continued use of single use plastic bags despite the ban, the so-called biodegradable plastics which are actually very damaging and the future consequences of everyone thinking paper is
‘*Environmentally friendly’ and demanding it.*

This. I agree entirely.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:04:22

You have chosen to respond to my posts and keep making the same point which I disagree with!

Which point do you disagree with?

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:04

* But no, we’re all hypocrites. Except you.*

SolsticeBabyMaybe Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:39

They clearly don't know their target audience 😂 have seen more concern about the environment on MN than anywhere else online!

Now, if they had made little wooden toys 😏

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:07:41

*There are more pressing concerns related to plastic and packaging than this marketing campaign - like the ludicrous packaging of fresh fruit and vegetables, continued use of single use plastic bags despite the ban, the so-called biodegradable plastics which are actually very damaging and the future consequences of everyone thinking paper is
‘Environmentally friendly’ and demanding it.*

But most people know about this already, it’s already in existence. I think most people on this thread are objecting to M&S introducing more unnecessary plastic at a time when they should be reducing it.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:08:44

* But no, we’re all hypocrites. Except you.

Do you still think everyone who objects to this is a hypocrite? Still hypocritical to change one thing instead of everything or nothing?

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:10:05

Or do you mean you don’t think YOU are a hypocrite despite doing the thing you’re accusing everyone else of?

MrsLion Thu 18-Jul-19 18:11:51

WhiteDust was pointing out she does her bit, but is not perfect.
She thinks this M&S campaign is not particularly offensive compared to the multiple excess plastic use going on in our society.
It’s not that hard to understand Pumper.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:12:58

* Do you still think everyone who objects to this is a hypocrite?*

Of course not. Only those who fill their trolly full of plastic wrapped food and throw their arms in the air because they've just been offered a miniature plastic toy!

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:15:18

MrsLion it was more the name calling and ridicule I was objecting too. I already said upthread I understood WhiteDust’s point, although I disagree with it.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:15:55

* WhiteDust was pointing out she does her bit, but is not perfect.*
She thinks this M&S campaign is not particularly offensive compared to the multiple excess plastic use going on in our society.
It’s not that hard to understand Pumper.

Thank you for that Lion. I'm starting to lose the will to live.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:16:48

Of course not. Only those who fill their trolly full of plastic wrapped food and throw their arms in the air because they've just been offered a miniature plastic toy!

And those whose kids have ever had plastic toys.

MrsLion Thu 18-Jul-19 18:18:28

Sure it’s more plastic use and some people will hate it and boycott it. I get that.

My point is that there is an assumption on this thread that everyone feels the same. I’m just pointing out that plenty of people will love it.
My experience (although a few years old and from another part of the world) is that the campaign will be a success and many people will consider this small fry in huge issue of a wider plastic problem.

Pumperthepumper Thu 18-Jul-19 18:20:05

*I’m just pointing out that plenty of people will love it.
My experience (although a few years old and from another part of the world) is that the campaign will be a success and many people will consider this small fry in huge issue of a wider plastic problem.*

I’m sure you’re right, I know loads of people who buy the freebie toy magazines without ever giving it a second’s though. I still think it’s worth signing a petition though.

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:22:30

* it was more the name calling and ridicule I was objecting too. I already said upthread I understood WhiteDust’s point, although I disagree with it.*

Who have I 'name called'?
I said that certain actions were 'f'ing ridiculous' IMO but no personal attacks.
I'm going to have to check now...

WhiteDust Thu 18-Jul-19 18:23:58

* And those whose kids have ever had plastic toys.*

You've lost me...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »