Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed by M&S’s LittleShop?

(215 Posts)
CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 20:36:35

https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food-to-order/little-shop

It’s such a waste of plastic and the cardboard shop costs £10!

No one needs this and it’s such a waste.

M&S say you can return the plastic toys in store to be recycled into playground toys, but that will ultimately end up in landfill presumably. And it assumes all items are returned for recycling, which with the best will in the world is overly optimistic.

You receive a collectible for each £20 spent, there are 25 items to collect. So you will need to spend at least £500 to get them all!

When the World is unable to safely dispose of the plastic we have created already, we don’t need more. Poor show M&S!!

Isbrexitoveryet Thu 11-Jul-19 20:43:21

It’s shit, but probably better than the little tykes shop that SIL spent a mint on, or the one that my gran got my neice from wilko that lasted a week

JoyceJeffries Thu 11-Jul-19 20:44:42

It’s all destined (eventually) for landfill.

CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 20:53:27

In annoys me that M&S have launched this marketing campaign, despite their commitment reducing unnecessary waste. Their own sustainability policy states 79% of plastic goes to landfill confused

There is no consumer demand for this “product”, it’s marketing, and as such suggests M&S prefers profit to planet ☹️

JammyGem Thu 11-Jul-19 20:54:17

I saw this the other day and had similar thoughts.

It reminded me of a program I watched recently in which a recycling plant had a huge mound of "recyclable" toys, mainly from McDonalds, that they couldn't actually process. It was all going to landfill. We should be cutting down on plastic, not introducing more.

Besides, do they really think most people will return them to the store to be recycled? I bet that unfortunately it will only be a tiny minority that do this.

MulberryPeony Thu 11-Jul-19 20:54:32

YANBU I thought exactly the same yesterday. Plastic crap.

Cloudtree Thu 11-Jul-19 20:56:17

Me too. Walked into M&S food hall this afternoon and it immediately hit me how out of touch they are to do something like this when most of us are trying to minimise the amount of pointless crap going into landfill.

NoHummus Thu 11-Jul-19 20:57:53

YANBU, I saw one in my local store today and thought what a bloody rip off it was! I suppose you might pay a tenner for the shop if you had plastic food at home anyway and at least that's recyclable. But the little plastic thingies at £25 a pop, no thanks!

LifeOfBriony Thu 11-Jul-19 21:04:30

I had an email from M&S about this - and thought the same. It goes against everything in the news about the environment - just as so many other organisations and people are waking up to plastic waste, landfill and pollution.

popehilarious Thu 11-Jul-19 21:09:39

They've really misjudged the climate imo

Rainycloudyday Thu 11-Jul-19 21:17:16

I agree, thought the same when I saw this. It just doesn’t feel like something that fits with the sustainability message that M&S have been trying to convey for ages now. And until this I felt they were doing a good job. My impression is that most M&S customers are mainly quite well educated, middle class, and agree with PP that they have totally misjudged the current climate amongst that audience.

Massive fail.

mrssmiling Thu 11-Jul-19 21:18:46

www.thegrocer.co.uk/marketing/mands-giving-away-plastic-toy-collectables-in-little-shop-promotion/595425.article
It seems very odd and confusing timing, given that so many people are actually trying to reduce their use of plastic. The products featured are such an odd mix...salted popcorn, and ‘Plant Kitchen’ cauliflower popcorn too...mmm. hmm
I was in M&S today...staff were offering them at the checkout...most people said no. I do agree OP and I think it shows that M&S are out of touch in so many ways...hopefully customers will comment, and negatively.

HeyAreYouOk Thu 11-Jul-19 21:25:16

Absolutely agree : pointless, gimmicky, and a rip off to boot. Seriously out of touch move on their part.

mrssmiling Thu 11-Jul-19 21:25:48

Article from Times...
www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m-s-under-fire-for-plastic-tat-freebies-xz3jt8n3s

CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 21:36:21

popehilarious

They've really misjudged the climate imo

🤣🤣🤣

londonrach Thu 11-Jul-19 21:41:01

Yabu. My dd would love this. Shes playing with my plastic toys over 30 years old and still going strong.

Muddlingalongalone Thu 11-Jul-19 21:41:06

Apart from the plastic/environmental considerations which was my first instinct, i thought it was quite cute at first like the Lidl space collectibles from a few years back, but £20 spend & extra cost for the shop/shopping basket etc. Someone's having a laugh somewhere....

W0rriedMum Thu 11-Jul-19 22:09:40

I was in M&S yesterday and the woman in front of me didn't know what they were so the cashier explained. Neither she nor I could grasp it - random plastic with your shop that you can use with a cardboard cutout?
It's a huge miss from M&S IMO. Not in line with their brand and terrible for the environment.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 11-Jul-19 22:14:04

Yes, a bad plan all round.

Londonmummy66 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:14:22

It's all awful but £3 for the cardboard shelves?

Shoppingwithmother Thu 11-Jul-19 22:16:45

I’ll have to say I saw the stand advertising it and thought “I wish they’d had this when DD was younger- she would have loved it.”

Also I got to the checkout and hoped to get something, but they all seemed to have gone anyway, so it can’t be that unpopular, at least in my neck of the woods.

Shoppingwithmother Thu 11-Jul-19 22:18:01

I also liked the mini trollies, which I thought were a bargain for £3 and really cute

livingthegoodlife Thu 11-Jul-19 22:22:01

We got a couple today. They come in a paper recyclable wrapper. Ours was a cardboard box designed to look like a mini Colin the caterpillar cake. It kept my four year old happy and busy for the rest of the day. She is now turning the Wendy house into a shop.

I think they've tried pretty hard with the recycling element. They are clearly trying to get a share of the family weekly shop, esp with the new ocado contract.

CraicMammy Thu 11-Jul-19 22:24:21

londonrach

. My dd would love this. Shes playing with my plastic toys over 30 years old and still going strong.

But it’s arguable that children don’t need more. And realistically I don’t think the tiny models are going to be that good / easy to play with

OneBiscuitAtATime Thu 11-Jul-19 22:28:11

They were getting a bit of a pasting about it on their Instagram advert.

SushiGo Thu 11-Jul-19 22:30:25

Years ago you must have been able to buy a pack of plastic m&s food from somewhere because there's a bunch in my kids toy kitchen! It's lasted well (except the card pieces)

I do agree though, free toys is not the way to go these days, and very misjudged for m&s' usual customers.

Shoppingwithmother Thu 11-Jul-19 22:37:37

Yes, we had some - I think it was from Early Learning Centre.

littlebillie Thu 11-Jul-19 22:40:10

I sadly though the same.

ConstanzaAndSalieri Thu 11-Jul-19 22:41:22

If anyone fancies the competition, I’m sure my kids have played with a pack of Waitrose food picked up from John Lewis a few years ago.

velocitykate Thu 11-Jul-19 23:02:12

I have tweeted them and also signed the petition calling for them to stop this. I can think of at least 300 other ways to improve their popularity without resorting to giving out totally unnecessary plastic crap that they think they can justify because of "Recycling". There's np need to recycle if you don't produce unnecessary crap in the first place!!

ispepsiok Thu 11-Jul-19 23:12:02

We've had this previously with the Australian supermarket Coles. I have to say it was an absolute hit with people swapping all over facebook. Schools and pre schools also collected them to assist with counting and sorting.

We put magnetic tape on the back of ours and use them on the fridge.

NuzzleandScratch Thu 11-Jul-19 23:22:57

You're right about the plastic waste, but my dds love the trolleys, perfect size for Barbie!

clippityclop Thu 11-Jul-19 23:30:13

M&S out of touch again. Can someone link them to this thread?

Gentlemanwiththistledownhair Thu 11-Jul-19 23:37:40

velocity please can you link to the petition?

Saying it's recyclable really isn't good enough. That doesn't negate the damage already done by making it in the first place. angry It would be more environmentally friendly to just make the playground furniture they're promising in the first place.

So disappointing that supermarkets / big companies are still pulling this shit.

Cloudtree Fri 12-Jul-19 08:00:28

I love M&S and really don't like to talk them down since I think it would be a tragedy if they disappeared from the high street. I just think someone responsible for promo decision making doesn't have their finger on the pulse at the moment. Everyone is talking about reducing consumption and the amount of stuff we dispose of. It just doesn't sit well with the demographic they aim at.
If they were lidl (I should say i also frequently shop at lidl!) then there would be less controversy.

Stationeryqueen Fri 12-Jul-19 08:11:40

I got one today, with no idea what it was. The checkout lady said it wasn't plastic, ....it was. Bit annoying as I hate plastic tat.

If it was all cardboard than I don't mind so much, but it all seemed so pointless. M&S have failed here, they don't seem to understand their customer base at all.

I stopped going in for a while when they changed the till over to Britain's got Talent. I heard a lady next to me moaning & the staff member said they had loads of complaints about Amanda Holden's voice.

I want M&S so much to do well, then they make the most odd marketing decisions.

mrssmiling Fri 12-Jul-19 08:47:30

I too stopped shopping there for a few weeks...just irritated by Ant and Dec booming out of the till!
If anyone has a link to the online petition re Little Shop of Horrors please do post.

mrssmiling Fri 12-Jul-19 09:14:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Needtomovemore Fri 12-Jul-19 09:16:07

M&S are massive on environmental stuff, it’s written all over walls etc in their stores so I’m really surprised they’ve got it so wrong here.

CraicMammy Fri 12-Jul-19 10:42:19

Yes, I think they forgot to read their own sustainability policy.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 09:17:27

We started a petition against the M&S Little Shop promotion and it has now reached 2000+ signatures in 4 days.

Reading the comments here there are a lot of people who agree that we don't want this throwaway plastic tat, which will end up in landfill and worst still the sea, as it did when Coles in Australia ran this promotion.

75% of the items are new virgin plastic and cannot be recycled (except by taking them back to the store - how many people will do that?). M&S are supposed to be reducing plastic, but appear to have binned "Plan A" with this wasteful promotion.

As a mum, I am appalled that a trusted brand with eco-credentials is running this promotion and have boycotted M&S until they see sense.

Calling all mumsnetters who care about the environment, the planet and our kids - please sign the Petition! chng.it/qxGNBJ7Z and take a look at the website we are currently setting up littleshopoftat.co.uk/ for more information.

Kokeshi123 Tue 16-Jul-19 09:23:35

Apart from the environmental impact, who wants: a) more unwanted household clutter b) tears and tantrums from little kids when you insist on saying "no" c) the hassle of returning things to be "recycled"?

Agree, they have really misjudged the mood at the moment.

probstimeforanewname Tue 16-Jul-19 09:27:32

YANBU at all. All this pointless plastic tat has to stop. Plastic packaging is annoying enough when it's not really needed, but this is plastic tat for the sake of it.

However, I suspect it will be difficult to stop as it will put half of China out of work if we stop producing all these stupid plastic trinkets.

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 09:49:27

Do none of your children play with toys made out of plastic? Ever?

Vilifying M&S for producing a small range of toys is ridiculous when every single shop on the high street is selling mountains of stuff nobody really needs.

The toy industry is as bad as the clothing industry, electrical appliance industry, furnishing industry (I could go on) . They're all producing stuff that will end up in landfill. The world is full of rubbish. Nobody really 'needs' this stuff.

SlothMama Tue 16-Jul-19 09:51:19

I think it's been a very badly thought out idea, most people won't take the toys back to the shop to recycle them they will end up in landfill. And there are so many other plastic childrens toys out there why add to the collection? I do like the little shopping baskets/trolleys but that's so far as it goes.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 09:57:30

the problem is that M&S have stated that they will reduce unnecessary plastic, then came up with these giveaway, throwaway 75% plastic toys and a flawed recycling plan relying on them being returned to the store to be recycled.

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 09:58:13

* As a mum, I am appalled that a trusted brand with eco-credentials is running this promotion and have boycotted M&S until they see sense.*

Did you really buy into M&S's eco campaign?
They are a huge corporate company with a carbon footprint off the scale
(Along with every other high street chain).
People are happy to buy produce from their food hall (hard to find anything that isn't wrapped in plastic or in a plastic tray) yet are horrified when they produce a small range of toys as a promotion??

Crunchymum Tue 16-Jul-19 10:02:58

Aside from the plastic issue, its just a shit promotion.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 10:04:01

agree that their approach to plastic still has a long way to go in terms of food, but they can't say they are reducing plastic, whilst at the same time giving away a load more of it at the tills. we have to start somewhere and this sends the wrong message to our kids.

Stressedandsad Tue 16-Jul-19 10:07:04

M and S have always over packaged things and it was noticeable that they used more packaging than other shops way before climate change became the current emergency. Their token effort to being eco used to be a label on clothes that said wash at 30° which just pushes the issue to the consumer ....luckily my children are too old and i am too poor to even consider spending £20 on m and s food but think its an ill judged idea. Even cardboard collectibles wouldnt be quite as bad.

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 10:10:19

* but they can't say they are reducing plastic, whilst at the same time giving away a load more of it at the tills.*

I agree. They also can't say that they are reducing plastic when practically everything they sell is wrapped in it.
I'm just amazed that people can't see the hypocrisy of these big corporate companies.
Every time there is any kind of promotion I roll my eyes. ECO promotions are the worst.. Their marketing department must think we are a load of idiots.

ClumsyFool Tue 16-Jul-19 10:15:11

I get what most of you are saying and it is an unnecessary addition of plastic tat. However, I do have to wonder why all of those frothing over this aren’t also boycotting petitioning the majority of toy shops who sell masses of plastic toys day in day out. If you actually wanted to make a difference I would have thought these would be the places to start? And I also assume that none of you buy any plastic toys for your children ever either?

Pinkkahori Tue 16-Jul-19 10:22:21

I was surprised to see this promotion too.
Lidl ran a promotion here (Ireland) for the last couple of years where they gave out free seed pots.
I really like that idea. We planted all the seeds in indoor pots and grew lots of herbs, salads and tomatoes.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 16-Jul-19 10:23:45

The ones I got were cardboard. I don’t understand who they are marketing to. They are too small for toddlers a massive choke risk. My 7 yr old was a bit confused by the teeny box of steak pie. It’s too small for playing with.

However I do love the mini shopping basket.

I think £20 and over for a teeny thing is weird. The whole concept is weird to me. Who asked for it? No one.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 10:23:47

WhiteDust - it is complete hypocrisy and I agree their marketing dept are treating us like idiots, especially after their "plan A". think they must have binned that and are now on "plan C"; screw the planet.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 10:28:41

DobbyTheHouseElk 75% of them are plastic, and yes they are a choking hazard - especially the percy pigs made of plastic foam in a sweet packet just like the real thing pbs.twimg.com/media/D_hw3A_XkAE3u7e.jpg

ToffeePennie Tue 16-Jul-19 10:30:57

There are only 8 shops in the whole of the U.K. that have the recycling boxes for these toys. They have no plans to introduce any more so you may find your closest store with the recycling available is too far.
YANBU!

HermioneWeasley Tue 16-Jul-19 10:31:36

It’s bizarre. Someone has put a lot of effort into it - there’s a whole game!

HeadintheiClouds Tue 16-Jul-19 10:36:41

I had to google this confused. Are there people really happy to spend 25 quid to get a minuscule model of a bag of Percy Pigs? I know that includes your shopping, btw! But as a draw to keep people spending, does it actually work??

SheilaBruce Tue 16-Jul-19 10:39:09

Bahahaha. This crap promotion was an absolute hit in Australia, but that's probably because it was run in a proper supermarket with quality and standing similar to Tesco. Once kids clapped their eyes on the little pieces of tat, their parents were in for a world of pain. Then the adults took over the obsession and it really got to hightened levels of stupid. Hopefully the people who spend copious amounts in the M&S food Hall will have better luck staving it off grin

IceRebel Tue 16-Jul-19 10:42:28

I don’t understand who they are marketing to.

Me either, the size of them is baffling. If they were full size at least they could be used in play kitchens, and would survive years of play. But these are more suited for dolls houses. confused

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 10:45:48

I refused mine the other day. The cashier was mystified “Don’t you know a child who’d like it?”. Petition signed and tweeted.

WatchingTVagain Tue 16-Jul-19 10:48:06

I've always found M&S to be total hypocrites on the environmental front. You have to beg for a paper napkin in their cafe because, you know, saving the planet and then you go into the food court and everything is triple wrapped in plastic on polystyrene trays.

PinkSpring Tue 16-Jul-19 10:49:12

Well my toddler loves them, she has a couple that she plays with in her kitchen - so if anyone has any they don't want or would normally say they didn't want them - send them my way! Will happily pay postage - we don't shop at M&S that frequently!

cheeseypuff Tue 16-Jul-19 10:50:14

hmm seems very irresponsible re the current climate around plastics. I'd have thought that McDonalds would also have considered not putting large bits of plastic in their Happy Meal giveaways by now. Thankfully my two have nearly grown out of the Happy Meal stage but it does infuriate me on the few occasions we go to McD's that we come away with a load of useless plastic tat that they play with for 5 mins.

starray Tue 16-Jul-19 10:50:59

My first thought when I saw the campaign was - Are you serious? Really bad timing M&S

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 10:53:30

@PinkSpring, normally I’d say you could have mine and fill your boots but the more people who refuse them, the more likely they are to realise this has spectacularly backfired. So I’ll carry on saying no.

AnneKipanki Tue 16-Jul-19 10:53:37

Yes , my first thought was all that plastic !
My sparks card points goes to marine conservation . I like to support the underdog.
Plan A. There is no Plan B. Remember that !

Shoppingwithmother Tue 16-Jul-19 10:54:37

I really like them! We got 3 the other day and the prawn sandwich and the Percy Pigs were especially cute.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 16-Jul-19 11:00:17

As has been said, Coles in Australia ran this promotion a while back as well. It's fun, sure, but it does just mean a heap more tiny plastic things.

However - and I agree entirely that supermarkets should stop doing this - I get angrier and angrier at all the actual toy manufacturers doing exactly the same fucking thing with all their mini-plastic shit things, "collectibles", of which there are 100s.
Just. Fucking. Stop.

And stop with the "hidden" mini toys as well - not just because they're frustrating, but they're also piles more mini-plastic shit that nobody needs in their lives.

GrabbyGertie Tue 16-Jul-19 11:04:01

It’s not obligatory to get them.

I find this is an odd cause to have latched on to. There are so many areas where masses and masses of plastic being used wastefully I’m not sure why Marks are being singled out for this. It’s seems a bit out of proportion.

1300cakes Tue 16-Jul-19 11:04:10

It's bonkers but as pp s have mentioned, the Australian supermarket Coles did this promotion and although many people objected, a lot of people loved it.

But if you think the claim that they can be recycled is bad enough, Coles didn't even go that far. They responded to that question by saying that people won't throw them out, so they won't need to be disposed of. So they thought this tat would become family heirlooms passed down through the generations?

1300cakes Tue 16-Jul-19 11:05:27

Even more tone deaf, Coles ran this promotion two weeks after getting rid of free plastic bags in their stores (and of course patting themselves on the back for doing so).

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 11:06:15

when coles ran this in australia last time they ended up on beaches as far as bali [[ www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/13/a-legacy-of-plastic-waste-coles-launches-new-collectables-series ]] and now they are running the same campaign at the same time as M&S

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 11:09:29

M&S are being singled out for this because of their "plan a" marketing, they now seem to have moved on to "plan c" screw the planet!

FurrySlipperBoots Tue 16-Jul-19 11:13:24

I've never heard of the scheme until this thread, but actually I think they're cute and would work well in small world play. Far, far better than fad collectibles that fall out of fashion in the blink of an eye - hideous pink plastic lumps with giant eyes, with basically zero play value. At least children can use these miniature food items in all their small world play throughout their childhood.

HeadintheiClouds Tue 16-Jul-19 11:15:12

They won’t last through anyone’s childhood. They’ll be down the back of the sofa or sucked up in the hoover inside a fortnight.

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 11:16:28

* I find this is an odd cause to have latched on to. There are so many areas where masses and masses of plastic being used wastefully I’m not sure why Marks are being singled out for this. It’s seems a bit out of proportion.*

I agree.
It's hypocritical to shop in M&S food hall (or any other supermarkets with their ridiculous amount of plastic waste) and then start/join a campaign against them for producing freebies which are only as wasteful as the stuff you have just put in your trolley to buy.

Ivegotthree Tue 16-Jul-19 11:18:52

YANBU

Totally out of touch with the current climate.

upple Tue 16-Jul-19 11:23:36

The video is worth watching, had me roaring with laughter it's so awful.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 11:27:32

WhiteDust a lot of the plastic in the food hall can be recycled at home using household recycling, but 75% of the little shop items can only be recycled by returning to store - big difference. We have to start somewhere or should we all just give up and watch the mountain of plastic grow?

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 11:28:21

WTF?! This???!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ci8T1pQXGog

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 16-Jul-19 11:28:31

Furryslipper - the problem arises because you get FAR MORE than you need. And because people like to collect the whole set (oh yes, they do) then you keep getting them, ending up with multiple copies of the more common ones.

Now, we have kept all of ours because the boys like to play "shop" with them and have them in a supermarket trolley for that purpose - but lots of people won't, they'll just bin the spares.

hbowyers Tue 16-Jul-19 11:30:23

upple even funnier when you change the lyrics "big shop, little shop, plastic tat, screw the planet, off their trolley, plastic tat"

HeadintheiClouds Tue 16-Jul-19 11:30:28

Is it a teeny tiny trolley, Thumb? grin.

herculepoirot2 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:38:19

My child loves this. Far more environmentally friendly than an Argos plastic kitchen, which, admittedly, she doesn’t have to have, but a wooden one would be pricey. I like it.

DobbyTheHouseElk Tue 16-Jul-19 11:42:20

They are too small for play, I don’t understand it at all.

Although I’m still loving the toy basket.

SorryDidISayThatOutLoud Tue 16-Jul-19 11:46:11

I know you are all right, but I did still think they are cute and I fancied getting one for myself to put on my desk.

(My kids are adults)

I will never grow up.

Littleheart5 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:48:44

Totally agree with you OP. No need for it and we all know where it goes. Totally unnecessary

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 11:51:37

I’m mystified as to how it’s better than an Argos plastic kitchen. It’s all plastic.

herculepoirot2 Tue 16-Jul-19 11:53:31

Alsohuman

The kitchen itself is cardboard.

Funguy Tue 16-Jul-19 12:01:28

I think it is HORRENDOUS. I also hate the advert. It's ridiculous.

dontgobaconmyheart Tue 16-Jul-19 12:04:59

Not sure how anyone could support this really, it is ultimately both plastic rubbish, and I wouldn't hugely want DC pestering me to spend £20 a time to get whatever mini M&S branded mini food they'd seen in an advert or stuck in eye view everytime you walk in the store. Not exactly the friend of those on a budget and I'm quite sure any child that wants them would be equally happy with something else or cheap toy food from elsewhere. It's pretty cynical IMO- particularly the 'add on' sales they are closely angling for with the mini trolleys, baskets, shop etc. All are cheaper elsewhere and all that aside, it is hugely wasteful.

Obviously they're cute but just because something is cute doesn't mean it serves a purpose or we 'need' to have it. The one in my local had kids poring over it when I visited, saying aww a mini colin can we get it, can we get a real colin hmm. Very low of M&S to turn to pester power, profits must be bad.

needlessbanana Tue 16-Jul-19 12:05:46

Whenever I walk into an M&S store I'm astonished by the amount of plastic in the foodhall. With growing awareness, I think they might soon start missing out on a chunk of customers unless the change their ways. It'll soon only be the types who put their bananas in plastic bags left...

Jishuwa Tue 16-Jul-19 12:08:36

I hate that the toy basket is twice the size of the trolley and totally out of proportion. The trolley is fab though and lifts up and the back!!

misses point of thread

CraicMammy Tue 16-Jul-19 12:08:58

To those who are saying something along the lines of “Vilifying M&S for producing a small range of toys is ridiculous when every single shop on the high street is selling mountains of stuff nobody really needs.”

Agreed, but two wrongs don’t make a right; and the plastic items being given away in this campaign are marketing materials, not toys.

M&S say on their Instagram page that the campaign is targeted primarily at adults.

The items are tiny, they are not realistically going to be a significant part of any child’s play. The signs in store say that they are unsuitable for children under the age of 4.

The M&S sustainability policy states that 79% of plastic goes to landfill, it’s reasonable to assume 79% of these items given away in this campaign will too, more so perhaps if the PP is correct that there are only 8 recycling points in the entire country!

I am not anti-plastic where the item has utility, these items do not. They are a marketing gimmick, no more. For a company that fanfares its environmental credentials to pursue a plastic heavy marketing campaign is hugely hypocritical and that I why I started this thread.

Alsohuman Tue 16-Jul-19 12:10:23

@dontgobaconmyheart, I agree with everything you say but do people on tight budgets shop in the M&S foodhall?

herculepoirot2 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:11:56

The items are tiny, they are not realistically going to be a significant part of any child’s play. The signs in store say that they are unsuitable for children under the age of 4.

My child has been playing with them for days.

I agree it’s plastic tat. But anyone here who buys their children dolls, prams, slides, ball pools, a plastic kitchen from virtually anywhere else, play castles, plastic dogs and dinosaurs, etc., is buying plastic tat. If you’re a wooden toys only sort of person, good for you, but I doubt that many of those commenting here actually are.

Lovesgood Tue 16-Jul-19 12:21:30

Jesus wept. Its just a bit of fun for kids! Do your kids not have plastic toys? Plastic toys everywhere but this is the one thing to get worked up about? Seriously? What about shitty vegan plastic leather that is everywhere these days? Replacing real leather, which is much better. Why arent you complaining about that?

WhiteDust Tue 16-Jul-19 12:23:31

I am not anti-plastic where the item has utility, these items do not.

People ( like the previous poster Hercules have children who will play with these toys.

As for them being too small... Sylvanian Family kitchen set anyone?!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »