Talk

Advanced search

About breakfast at work

(658 Posts)
WishingILivedOnAnIsland Wed 10-Jul-19 09:22:13

Every day without fail one of our senior administrators comes in on time, gets herself settled, then spends 10 minutes in the kitchen constructing a complicated bowlful of breakfast. She takes the bowl to her desk and slowly eats in the open plan office until around 9:30am. She then signals the start of her work day by returning her bowl to the kitchen. Anyone who approaches her regarding work prior to The Bowl’s Return is met with a withering look and an ‘excuse me I am eating my breakfast’ as though they’ve walked into her own kitchen out of hours and demanded a favour.

I’m her manager and I’m starting to get complaints. Both about her commandeering an additional 30 odd minutes break, and also about the tart rebuke she gives anyone who dares interrupt her morning ritual.

Here’s the thing- I don’t really care that she does this as in every other way she is a sensational employee. She is a proud set-in-her-ways kind of person and wont respond well to negative feedback. It would be a disaster if she quit and we had to replace her with a mediocre employee whose only advantage is that they eat their breakfast at home.

So AIBU to let this breakfast nonsense play on? My colleagues seem to think so and are salty with me for my inaction thus far.

cushioncovers Mon 15-Jul-19 21:23:08

As long as you are happy if everyone else starts doing the same thing, it's fine.

^^ this

RedDogsBeg Mon 15-Jul-19 22:12:48

Gatoadigrado I know absolutely shocking isn't it?grin

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Mon 15-Jul-19 22:21:36

Why don’t you just tell her straight?

“Brenda, I need a word. Your work is faultless and I think you’re an asset to the team. But we have a problem in that your breakfasts are starting to cause resentment amongst colleagues because they can’t speak to you between 9 and 9.30 because you’re “busy”.
It’s making you - an otherwise excellent colleague - look unprofessional so can you not continue it? Breakfast before 9 is fine, but if you’re eating after you’ve got to be available too.
Oh and finally, your work on [insert intitative here] was really good this week, it’s appreciated”.

Just don’t give her the right or time to reply and your fears she’ll chuck a flounce won’t materialise.

HTH

Gwenhwyfar Mon 15-Jul-19 22:26:38

"What a bizarre problem."

Yes, it's the kind of petty jealousy-type problems you get in workplaces where everyone is really bored.

Gatoadigrado Mon 15-Jul-19 22:30:17

PaulHollywoodsSexGut the OP has already told us that this ‘wonderful’ employee won’t respond well to any negative feedback. A shit sandwich just won’t cut it!

tttigress Mon 15-Jul-19 22:36:29

No suggestions. But it is interesting to note that some employees can literally do 2 or 3 times the amount of work than others doing the same job.

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Mon 15-Jul-19 22:37:40

That’s why I wonder if the OP just needs to talk AT her and refuse to entertain any further discussion @Gatoadigrado

However @Butterymuffin called it ages ago; this woman won’t leave so let her huff OP. Don’t pander to her ways, you’re the boss fgs.

OooErMissus Mon 15-Jul-19 23:25:28

The OP is (unsurprisingly) long gone people, long gone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »