Talk

Advanced search

To think there is a grave in my garden?

(410 Posts)
IsItATomb Tue 09-Jul-19 19:21:50

NC for this as the pics are outing.

Moved in to my house in April and it has what I thought is a really ugly raised bed in the garden. Now the summer has arrived I've realised it gets no sunshine on it at all so isn't a raised bed after all.

DD and I were pottering our there this afternoon and we came across this plaque on the raised bed.

WTF.

Is it a coincidence or is it a grave?!

OP’s posts: |
MissB83 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:30:13

A family member has a couple of family plaques in her garden from the crematorium as they had been some vandals. Possibly the former residents just wanted the plaque in the garden? Do you know anything about them?

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 09-Jul-19 19:31:05

You are going to dig it up and see???!! But you might find a skeleton 😱😱😱 Can’t believe you’re so calm. Keep us updated!!

MissB83 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:31:09

Just seen your update about previous owner, hoping she just left the plaque behind when she passed away!

Passthecherrycoke Tue 09-Jul-19 19:31:50

It looks pretty new to me- 10/20/30 years. As others have said you can bury people in your garden with permission.

I wouldn’t dig. Possibly it’s a plaque for a miscarriage?

Sparklesocks Tue 09-Jul-19 19:32:03

Oh my god that is a bit odd isn’t it! Maybe it is just a memorial garden as pp have suggested but the strange raised platform does make me wonder too...

IDontGiveABagOfDicks Tue 09-Jul-19 19:32:52

Christ I would want to know if there was a body there and if there was why the fuck wasn’t it mentioned.

annieforever Tue 09-Jul-19 19:32:56

Creepy. Could you ask any neighbours if they know anything?

feathermucker Tue 09-Jul-19 19:33:01

Pretty sure any bodies buried in gardens have to be below ground as opposed to what's shown in the pictures.

Intriguing though!

IsItATomb Tue 09-Jul-19 19:34:42

I need to know, it's right next to where DDs play area is going to be. I'd hate to set all her toys and things up next to a grave!

Whoateallthecheese Tue 09-Jul-19 19:34:54

Oh that's weird. Let us know what you find!

Hirsutefirs Tue 09-Jul-19 19:35:24

This is how zombie apocalypses start.

melissasummerfield Tue 09-Jul-19 19:36:54

Oh my christ thats creepy AF shock

sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:40:38

placemarking because i want to see what OP finds blush

EileenAlanna Tue 09-Jul-19 19:43:10

OP take heed of @Hirsutefirs wise words. I'd just leave it rather than risk finding out there was no body in it, how cool is a grave in your garden? From when we were all very young my parents took us to the graveyard regularly to tend our DGPs grave. It was an all day thing & they brought sandwiches & a flask of tea for us all. We loved it & I've many many happy memories of that & other graveyards I like to wander around in.

GreyHairDontCare3 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:43:15

Leaving a ~plaque~ placemark grin

Greenolivesorblackolives Tue 09-Jul-19 19:44:55

I need to know too!

Treaclesweet Tue 09-Jul-19 19:45:43

Surely a full-on grave would have a more serious marker than that? -and be less ugly-

DuckbilledSplatterPuff Tue 09-Jul-19 19:46:06

Two thoughts. It looks very wide to be a grave.
Could the trees have grown since it was built.. hence no sunlight now, but possibly there was when it was originally built.
(there's no way I'd dig that up myself!! BTW)

IsItATomb Tue 09-Jul-19 19:47:48

I definitely don't want a zombie apocalypse!

It is very ugly, so is the rest of the garden in fairness. It needs a lot of work!

SushiGo Tue 09-Jul-19 19:49:25

It's definitely not a grave. I work with cemeteries. Even if they hadn't done it legally and therefore there was no record the ground on top wouldn't be all flat like that on what is clearly a neglected spot.

It's a memorial, if the owner is elderly it probably used to have sun but trees or new buildings have blocked the sun and new growth.

I am the killjoy of this thread, sorry!

Judashascomeintosomemoney Tue 09-Jul-19 19:49:27

Aren't they usually only as wide as needed?
How wide would it need to be for a whole vault of ancestors though.......

Sunshine1235 Tue 09-Jul-19 19:49:54

I think it’s a memorial garden but I’m placemarking to see if you find anything/anyone

Thefemalekeithrichards Tue 09-Jul-19 19:50:01

@MyOpinionIsValid
Thank you ....I wasn’t sure ...oh dear that’s news to me 😢

TinselAndKnickers Tue 09-Jul-19 19:50:01

Assuming it is a memorial garden, the OP would still dig it up as it's a bit of an eye sore. Imagine if you found a skeleton though shock

IsItATomb Tue 09-Jul-19 19:50:09

It is wide yeah, maybe they used to sleep starfish!

The trees have been there for a very very long time. I was talking to the neighbour about them as were chopping them down. They said that they've lived there for over 25 years and the trees were there when they moved in.
Suppose they may not have been there when it was first put it in though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in