Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your "All kids love it" meals?

(89 Posts)
HennyPennyHorror Mon 08-Jul-19 13:43:24

One of DD's friends (both 11) coming for a sleepover in a couple of days. It's not one of her regular friends so I don't know her well. With her other mates, I know what they like to eat etc.....I've asked DD who doesn't know. (or care)

I just wanted to ask what I might give them for dinner? We're on school hols here in Oz by the way. It's midwinter.

DD has limited taste in foods...she likes my homemade pizza but that's such a faff! I make the dough and it's messy...I wanted something easier but nothing like sausages or burgers please...I hate the smell!

Also...any nice recipes for a chocolatey bake of some sort please? Not muffins...mine ALWAYS fail.

Oakmaiden Tue 09-Jul-19 15:03:02

My very fussy daughter love it when I make mac n cheese and put a tin of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn in it to make it more "adventurous".

Lauraloop1516 Tue 09-Jul-19 15:14:55

Mac and cheese with a good dose of cauliflower/broccoli through it!

doxxed Tue 09-Jul-19 15:25:11

Quesadillas?

blamethecat Tue 09-Jul-19 15:27:55

Cheesy chicken pasta bake,
Fry chicken pieces with onion until both cooked, make cheese sauce. Cook pan of pasta, near the end put some veg in (I use peas and sweetcorn as we always have them), mix everything together and chuck in the oven until bubbling and hot.

HopelessLayout Tue 09-Jul-19 15:30:28

Chicken in rice! Takes about 5 min to prepare and "the kids'll love it" as the advert used to say. My sister requested this every year on her birthday when we were kids.
www.campbells.com/kitchen/recipes/cheesy-chicken-rice-casserole/

You can used condensed mushroom soup instead of chicken if you prefer.

pamplemoussed Tue 09-Jul-19 15:34:00

Outside of the obvious ones - pizza, pasta etc. I’d add in
- paella or some sort of chicken, rice, peas,
- chilli con carne with nachos, guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese
- BBQ traybake chicken with potato
- Quesadilla or fajitas
- cheese and ham lasagne ( Bill Grainger does a good recipe)

MollysMummy2010 Tue 09-Jul-19 15:47:50

I put onion and ham in my macaroni cheese and my daughter (and me) love it

Thekingintheeast Tue 09-Jul-19 15:51:42

I love this thread! Never mind the OP’s sleepover children, I’m making loads of these things for mine!!

notatwork Tue 09-Jul-19 15:55:22

11 years old?
Let them make microwave mug muffins: they will like it more than if you had gone to the effort yourself!

For main course: fajitas or something else midly spicy/Mexican that they can personalize to their taste..

growlingbear Tue 09-Jul-19 16:01:51

The easiest one is chicken drumsticks, tossed in a bit of oil, garlic paste, herbs or mild spices and salt, baked in the oven along with sweet potato fries. Side salad of iceberg, carrot sticks, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and red pepper.

Easiest pudding is chocolate fridge cake. Bash up some digestive or rich tea biscuits and stir them into a thick paste with melted butter, golden syrup and coco powder. Add any of these that you know the kids like: mini marshmallows, glace cherries, raisins, chopped nuts. Press into a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Melt chocolate and pour on top. Flatten out with a spoon and put in the fridge to set. Cut into small squares or fingers. It's rich. They only need a small slice.

RockinHippy Tue 09-Jul-19 17:19:50

Home made pizza. Make dough & sauce & let them do the rest themselves

Hottest possible pre heated oven & dust pizza tray with maize/corn meal

namemcnamechange Fri 12-Jul-19 10:39:06

@HennyPennyHorror sorry I’ve just seen your response! I’m not new, and it’s not your “asking for meal ideas” that’s odd! Just be complete aversion to ready made pizza and the many many suggestions of food that I would never ever think “all kids love”

And I know you asked your daughter, but I said can’t your daughter just ask her friend! The only thing I would ever say “all kids love” is chicken nuggets and yet I’m still sure there’s plenty that don’t. Chilli, Mac and cheese? I was a fussy eater as a child (still am to an extent) and that’s not even good I could pretend to like/try and eat to be polite, I just don’t see why it’s so hard to cater for one child

Dieu Fri 12-Jul-19 12:47:23

Sausage pasta: pasta boiled up with frankfurter sausages, then add the tomato sauce.

Pasta with (green) pesto, bacon and peas.

Spaghetti bolognese.

Dieu Fri 12-Jul-19 12:49:10

Oh, and wraps with salad and Quorn southern fried nuggets. Delish! Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »