Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of astrology?

(235 Posts)
camelliavi Fri 21-Jun-19 16:46:08

Posting in AIBU for traffic. Not the mystic meg astrology, but birth charts, rising, sun, moon etc. I'm a Scorpio rising, Virgo cusp/libra sun and Taurus moon- after looking up what they meant they're strangely accurate grin just curious to know!

OP’s posts: |
Phoningliz Fri 21-Jun-19 16:47:26

Oh for goodness sake!

TheInvestigator Fri 21-Jun-19 16:48:12

Honestly, look up all the other meanings. If you were told they were yours, then you'd find a way to make it fit an aspect of your life or personality.

crosser62 Fri 21-Jun-19 16:48:58

Absolute shite.

VivienneHolt Fri 21-Jun-19 16:49:26

Harmless, fun, absolutely made up with no basis in reality

DonkeyHohtay Fri 21-Jun-19 16:49:39

Load of shite.

sonlypuppyfat Fri 21-Jun-19 16:49:47

How on earth does the movements of planets affect a person's personality?

HippyTrails Fri 21-Jun-19 16:50:54

nonsense

Fuzzyend Fri 21-Jun-19 16:51:35

I don't think there is a mystic Meg side and a rational, based in fact side to astrology!!! It's all codswallop.

Pa1oma Fri 21-Jun-19 16:53:49

Well my very scientific view is that we are made of the same minerals as those found in the stars and everything comes from the Big Bang so it wouldn’t surprise me if things are interrelated and actually I’m sure they are. Periods follow lunar cycles for a start. Actually, I’m sure we’re connected to the stars and the elements. I’m a Scorpio too OP and always gravitate to water. Every revelation or big decision I’ve had in my life has come to me by the sea or while looking at the light on the Thames. Even as a child I made all my decisions by the local river. So there you go.

Pa1oma Fri 21-Jun-19 16:59:56

“Honestly, look up all the other meanings. If you were told they were yours, then you'd find a way to make it fit an aspect of your life or personality.”

Well that’s not true because the opposite to Scorpio on the chart is Taurus ♉️ and I’m nothing like Taurus whatsoever.
DD is a Taurus and I recognise the traits in her - Definitely!
The other DC have star signs where the traits are not so evident to me, but maybe that’s because they’re not the direct opposites?

FrostySpice Fri 21-Jun-19 17:01:19

they're strangely accurate

That's just the Barnum effect at work, OP.

DirtyDennis Fri 21-Jun-19 17:01:40

It's all a load of absolute bollocks. I judge people who believe in it to be complete brain-dead morons.

Phoningliz Fri 21-Jun-19 17:01:49

Paloma how do you resist confirmation bias?

Rowennaravenclaw Fri 21-Jun-19 17:04:27

Well I actually kind of believe in them. I don't think they are strictly true and some aspects are wildly incorrect and laughable, but I think they might be tapping into some greater rule or order in the universe that is currently beyond what science understands.

So, I don't 'believe' them as such, but I do take an interest.

floramcdougal Fri 21-Jun-19 17:08:44

Complete bunkum op

Bluerussian Fri 21-Jun-19 17:10:28

Astrology is a definite 'No No' as far as I'm concerned. Superstitious rubbish.

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 21-Jun-19 17:11:34

Entertaining bollocks I’m afraid.

blackteasplease Fri 21-Jun-19 17:11:58

I know it's utter bollocks but I tend to follow it any way!

Rowennaravenclaw Fri 21-Jun-19 17:12:18

Up until 17th century or so it was considered scientific. Galileo definitely believed in it. It has SOME basis in observable fact, but whether our interpretations were/are correct is another matter. Almost certainly not. Our science took another direction and astrology was dismissed and abandoned. I wonder where this branch of study would have taken us by today if we had continued to take an interest in it?

Pa1oma Fri 21-Jun-19 17:12:59

“Paloma how do you resist confirmation bias?”

Well billions of people believe in God? Does astrology seem less likely than god? No, I don’t think so.

The tide is controlled by the moon. We are 80% water 💦 Seems credible to think we are affected in some way too. There’s the mensrial cyvle for a start. The word “lunatic” stems from the fact people displayed interesting behaviours during full moons.

StroppyWoman Fri 21-Jun-19 17:13:00

Horseshit for the credible and the bored. Fills a space in a newspaper for buttons, has the same credibility as a Cosmo quiz made up by an intern.

All are just vague enough to appeal to pretty much everyone.

Phoningliz Fri 21-Jun-19 17:14:56

Well billions of people believe in God? Does astrology seem less likely than god? No, I don’t think so.

That’s not very convincing. Many people don’t believe in any gods either!

WoollyMummoth Fri 21-Jun-19 17:16:27

Load of old fanny

Phoningliz Fri 21-Jun-19 17:17:23

The tide is controlled by the moon. We are 80% water...

What’s that got to do with the position of Venus? In terms of moon-related behaviour, do you have evidence for that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »