Talk

Advanced search

To ask for a refund

(24 Posts)
ShuubOutDemBadmine Thu 13-Jun-19 12:57:09

I attend swimming classes with my DD 13 months old. She seemed to really enjoy it and was progressing quite well, it's not cheap either around £150 a term.
Last week I was sent an email 1 hour after our lessonto say our regular class would be cancelled due to low numbers and was offered to change to another day, it was a bit of an inconvenience as I work and so have certain days off to take DD to her groups but I understand businesses have to make decisions like this, so we chose another day which was further away but we'll manage. Yesterday they emailed to say the lessons will be held at one venue for the first few weeks and then change to another for the last few weeks, so we headed along today for the first lesson of the summer term in the new class.
When we arrived there was about 15 other babies and parents , only 3 changing rooms plus its a hotel so some hotel guests were using the pool and changing rooms so people were changing babies in the buggy park area and the locker area, I couldn't find anywhere to change my DD so I changed her on me lap on the floor, I needed to change myself though and the toilets were also being used (3 cubicles and 2 toilets) I went to see if there was somewhere to change at 11:30 as this was when the lesson was due to start and 4 women were chattin behind the door, I accidentally knocked one with the door and I apologised. They seemed to be changing so I asked if all the cubicles were full. The one I hit with the door looked at me as if id asked the most stupid question ever and then looked at the other women as if to confirm I was stupid, she replied I don't know in a really sarcastic tone, so I walked down to see for myself, I looked in the mirror as I could see the women in the reflection and I could see they were pulling faces and laughing. There was a toilet free so I went in but it was cramped and I couldn't really changed myself with DD being there too. So I just changed DD back into her clothes and left as I felt really uncomfortable especially with the reaction I got from the other parents after asking a simple question.
I have social anxiety as it is, I suffer PND and go to therapy and I had to force myself to go to baby groups to help with it and try to make friends as I have none and I'm a single parent. it took alot for me and I was comfortable with the last class as the parents were very friendly. This has knocked my confidence a bit, and although i may be over reacting I'm just feeling a bit uncomfortable and down. I have been told that the local swimming pool has lessons and they are just as good and not as busy, plus there's lots of cubicles to change so I was wondering if it would BU to ask for a refund and go to my local swimming pool instead (which is also alot cheaper). Also how would I ask for it? Do I just say sorry but I'm feel this class isn't suitable?
I'm ready for people to say I am.BU because I know I am, due to being so paranoid about everything, but please be nice.

ShuubOutDemBadmine Thu 13-Jun-19 12:58:55

Also to add, the babies all seemed to be under 1 years old today, and my daughter is really good at swimming as she's been going since 2 months, our class on a Tuesday was for 1-2 year olds and I felt she was being challenged and developing skills, I'm also worried that if the other babies are younger then she'll not progress as well? Or is that not how swimming works?

bestbefore Thu 13-Jun-19 13:03:28

Def ask for a refund and just say the new venue doesn't work for you

GPatz Thu 13-Jun-19 13:04:46

Yes. I had this exact thing. My son ended up in a class with younger babies due to me not being able to attend after a class restructure and whilst I was continually told he was good, we could never progress as the next group up was full and we could really only repeat everything each session. I got a refund and went elsewhere.

Ignore the women. Probably NCT. It's only half and hour sessions, I wouldn't go out of your way to make friends in such short sessions

Pinkmouse6 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:10:37

Definitely ask for a refund. Simply call them or drop an email explaining the situation how you have on here. You turned up, they didn’t have adequate changing facilities so your daughter had to miss her lesson.

Ignore the women, they sound like teenagers.

newmomof1 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:19:51

YANBU. You've spent a lot of money and put up with a lot of messing about from the organisers and were given inadequate information, support and facilities.

Goodenough06 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:23:54

Was this waterbabies by any chance? I had a really similar experience when I booked my son in with them for a term. Changing venues and not having enough facilities to accommodate.

We were even told we had to take all dirty nappies home with us as the pool didn't want us using their bins.

No one was ever friendly and there were never any staff around to help with anything when we had our lessons in a weird pool inside some kind of holiday cottage. It was just bizzare. The pools were also always freezing cold with the teacher in a wetsuit. Not really great considering you're paying loads of money for lessons supposedly suitable for newborn babies and up.

Anyway sorry for rant. Try researching some lessons for your child in a local pool now she's older. I pay £22 a month for really good weekly lessons at our local life centre. We also get free entry during school holidays. Much better facilities and way cheaper!

paddington34 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:26:40

definitiety ask for a refund as the venues facilities aren't suitable. Sorry you've had this bad experience in the changing rooms hope it doesn't put you off joining more groups.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 13-Jun-19 13:31:43

Our local water babies has a reputation for changing days and locations, so we go to the local leisure centre, max 5 babies per class in a baby pool which is warm, and they don't go strictly on age but ability. We are level one, babies from 12 weeks to a new boy who is 14 months but never had a lesson before, there was a girl before around a year old who had been going for ages and was doing well so she's gone up to the next class. The only rule is parents in the pool until 3 years old. It's £28 a month but we can also take DS swimming any other time and he and one adult get in free. I think some people are a bit snobby about local leisure centre lessons but ours are great.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 13-Jun-19 13:32:41

Sorry meant to say forget about it and look at your local leisure centre classes

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 13-Jun-19 13:34:07

Oh and the family changing cubicles have baby changing tables and chairs with harnesses to contain toddlers while you change. SIL has to change DN on the floor at water babies

Beautiful3 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:48:36

Yes send an email to say that the new venue doesn't meet your needs so would like a refund.

hazell42 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:59:04

Don't mention anything about your anxiety or the snooty clientele.
None of that is relevant
Tell them it's not what you paid for, the location isn't suitable and it's now far too much of a PITA
Ask for a refund and let them know that if they return to the first venue when they get their act together you will be more than happy to return

ShuubOutDemBadmine Thu 13-Jun-19 14:18:27

I didn't mention anything, but they asked why so explained nicely and they have told me it's non refundable? Although when they originally changed the venue they offered a refund, but because I chose to try another class they won't refund, where do I stand with this? Have I lost money now? It's not waterbabies @Goodenough06 it's merbabies. Same thing though

newmomof1 Thu 13-Jun-19 14:30:23

@ShuubOutDemBadmine tell them that as their facilities are not up to scratch meaning you were unable to attend the lesson, that they have mis-sold the course to you

newmomof1 Thu 13-Jun-19 14:31:20

Also highlight that your daughter is not receiving the same standard of teaching as she was previously

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Thu 13-Jun-19 14:37:36

Tell them that the new facilities are not fit for purpose in regard to the swimming lessons. You chose to change venues as you understood it to be an equal change but Inadequate and unsafe (where do you pit your daughter while you get changed in the toilet? The floor, an bench she can fall from?)changing facilities and the change of focus from 1-2 years to babies is not equal to the previous lessons.

Sunlight82 Thu 13-Jun-19 14:46:03

This will definitely be Waterbabies. They are happy to take your money but have no care about cancelling classes with hardly any notice. Ours was cancelled with no notice at all - the children didn’t even get the chance to say goodbye to each other after swimming together for 3 years. A very heartless company.

seastargirl Thu 13-Jun-19 15:16:14

If you didn't even do the class then you didn't technically choose to start at the new venue once you realised it was unsuitable for you. It's pursue a refund and if they continue to say no I'd be using social media to complain.

ivegotthisyeah Thu 13-Jun-19 16:23:34

Water babies = rip off and stressful!

ShuubOutDemBadmine Thu 13-Jun-19 16:37:09

So, they have offered a refund now, I explained that for the price they charge I didn't expect to swapped and changed so much.
They also tried to tell me that I should turn up with my swimsuit on under my clothes so that I can just take my clothes off anywhere there and change DD at the side of the pool. hmm
Anyway, now I've got my refund I feel like my DD will be missing out. The local leisure centre lessons will be just as good right? I mean, going to the local ones saves me money.. about £30 a month.. So i can take DD to another group now too, which I have been looking at. But will they help her progress as well as the others? I'm not really good at this stuff and I booked with the previous company as I figured they were better and more experienced especially as the price was so much more. I don't want DD to stop progressing as we go away alot and she loves the water. Anyone have experience with them both?

Goodenough06 Thu 13-Jun-19 18:16:45

I have no experience of the group you did but I definitely prefer the local leisure centre to waterbabies, which sounds very similar. We have a fantastic teacher, there are loads of times and dad to choose from.
Also the focus is on fun and safety in the water, whereas I felt like waterbabies just wanted to do underwater swimming all the time. (Maybe to entice you to pay ridiculous money for the underwater photo shoot).
My son has been doing them a year now and can swim independently with just a pool noodle across his chest. He can get in and out of the water, jump in etc. Really confident. He's almost 2 now.
Give your local one a go, if you don't like it you have only paid for a month and can cancel.

newmomof1 Thu 13-Jun-19 18:40:43

It's fine to say wear your cossje under your clothes but that doesn't help you for after the session 🙄

ShuubOutDemBadmine Thu 13-Jun-19 19:27:54

@Goodenough06 that's good to hear! I'll give the local ones a try, hopefully it will be just as good, maybe better!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »