Talk

Advanced search

To think that Labour will not be able to win a General Election with Corbyn as leader

(156 Posts)
Question1001 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:18:58

Here we are, looking at a Boris post truth Trump style of premiership and a no deal Brexit, yet the opposition is sitting on the fence on the latter, and run by someone who, while he might have his own fan base, is never going to win the country (as in UK) IMO.

For the greater good he should stand down IMO, and let someone else take over. Or we risk being ruled by a much more right wing Tory party for years to come, and the consequences of that don’t bear thinking about.

Ivegotthree Thu 13-Jun-19 06:20:47

Agree

pilates Thu 13-Jun-19 06:21:33

Yeah all the time Corbyn is in charge, labour will never get in which is a good thing imo.

TheAngryLlama Thu 13-Jun-19 06:23:04

I’m a Conservative voter historically but would like a sensible Labour Party to vote for right now. Preferably one not riddled with anti semitism and capable of grasping the concept of biological sex.
So, I agree.

user1480880826 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:25:08

Corbyn has had every opportunity to stand down. He’s never going to do it.

Lying, racist, homophobic Boris and no deal is the future for the UK, sadly. He is easily as awful as Trump. Maybe worse because he is intelligent.

Time to emigrate.

Question1001 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:26:52

Time to emigrate.

I think the same.

Whatwillhappentomorrow Thu 13-Jun-19 06:32:00

Agree. I think Angela Rayner would be much better.

ValleyoftheHorses Thu 13-Jun-19 06:32:49

YANBU
I’m a conservative voter but would vote Labour to stop Brexit and hopefully sort the current lot who are useless. But I can’t because Corbyn and he has some really worrying left wing policies to do with inheritance tax and school fees. I’d go LibDem but we’re a swing Tory/ Labour seat, usually close. We need a new Labour/ Blair type to sort out the mess and unite the country. Someone both Labour and all the disillusioned Tory voters can get behind.
We’re not getting an election though are we?

Question1001 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:37:05

According to this article, a GE is just what Boris wants.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/boris-johnson-brexit-general-election

OldUnit Thu 13-Jun-19 06:40:12

Labour don't stand a chance with that odious toad at the helm.

It speaks to who he really is that he'd rather hold the party back than step back. Cretin.

TipseyTorvey Thu 13-Jun-19 06:45:34

I've never been so close to just not voting and becoming the sort of person that I used to despise saying things like 'what's the point in voting, it makes no difference anyway'. I can't vote tory because they caused brexit and I physically recoil at Boris, I can't vote Labour because Corbyn will drag us down into recession with his 70s rhetoric, voting lib dems is just a protest vote where I live and no other party has a hope. Those saying emigrate, where to? Only Canada seems sane these days but I don't like snow 😂

MaximusHeadroom Thu 13-Jun-19 06:49:04

I am going to go against the grain here I know.

I don't know whether Corbyn could actually win but the last GE results show he is not the write off people thought he was.

His domestic policies are in line with many European countries (one I live in atm) and the quality of life for poorer people here is much better.

People keep saying how he could ruin the country but what have the Tories done? Brought us to the brink of disaster with a potential no deal Brexit, created dangerously divisive atmosphere with their immigration rhetoric, made the wealth gap bigger than it has every been and out more children in poverty than we have seen in years. And much of that was done by Cameron who was seen as moderate, before Boris and his crew moved in.

I don't presume to tell people what their politics should be but I think there should be genuine choice. Pre-Blair, Labour was the left wing choice. As soon as the tories moved right, so did Labour to try and catch the centre ground. There was nothing left for people who are genuinely willing to pay fair, higher taxes in order to give poorer people a better chance to thrive and contribute. To improve our health and education system and invest in our future.

Just because the Tories have gone off the reservation, those of us on the left shouldn't have our party taken from us.

I am not saying people should have to agree with my politics but I hope people would agree that having a broad representation of views and backgrounds in Parliament is a good idea.

I would like to see the recovery of the lib Dems to cover the centre ground so we can all be represented.

I will add that I don't think JC is the messiah and I am disappointed with his Brexit stance but that doesn't detract from the fact that his politics clearly resonate with a significant portion of the population, particularly with the younger voters and I don't think we should look to take that away.

Tory voters who are not happy with the current situation should look to change the party from within.

Hazlenutpie Thu 13-Jun-19 06:51:04

I loathe him.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 13-Jun-19 06:54:36

I usually vote Conservative or LibDem but world vote for Labour if they had a more sensible leader.

MinnieMountain Thu 13-Jun-19 07:02:28

MaximumHeadroom has a point.

MIL is involved with our local Labour Party and says that he is very popular amongst members. More young people are joining her branch.

Campaigning for the Peterborough by-election last week was basically Labour v the Brexit party (who came a very close second). The Conservatives are seeming less relevant.

megletthesecond Thu 13-Jun-19 07:05:58

Yanbu. And I'm a lefty. He won't win a GE.
I didn't vote for him to be leader either, I didn't think he was suitable.

happinessischocolate Thu 13-Jun-19 07:08:38

Trouble is, the minute Corbyn steps down the MSM will simply start attacking his replacement.

How people can't see it I don't know.

Diane Abbott got vilified for drinking a mojito on the train, but half the Conservative party admit to taking drugs and it's no big deal.

The amount of people who accuse Corbyn of being a terrorist, yet have no problems with anything the conservatives do such as selling arms to the Saudis.

I hate this country now, but not even sure any other English speaking country is any better.

PianoTuner567 Thu 13-Jun-19 07:11:02

Traditionally a Labour voter but would never vote for him. He needs to go before the next GE if the Labour Party ever want to win it.

longwayoff Thu 13-Jun-19 07:15:34

Time to stop quoting last GE results in Corbyn's favour, that was when he'd had no opportunity to do anything. Three years later, he's been utterly hopeless and my dog 🐕 would stand a better chance of being elected. Please, Labour members, lose him. Unelectable.

JQBased Thu 13-Jun-19 07:18:11

Labour abandoned the traditional working class British family vote years ago and they have just as many odious characters on the front bench as Conservatives. People are turning against the top two parties because its clear neither represent the British people. The problem is the political system is not designed to allow any kind of new revolutionary party to triumph, this is why no matter who is in government nothing changes for the better.

UserAlice Thu 13-Jun-19 07:20:21

He could have had a chance but his stance (or lack of) on Brexit is the nail in the coffin.

Pearlfish Thu 13-Jun-19 07:20:31

I agree OP.

JQBased Thu 13-Jun-19 07:23:53

@happinessischocolate

Diane Abbott would have been booted from the party years ago for some of the things she has said in the past, had the party been a respectable party. She got jumped on for drinking on a train, but that's mostly because she is one of the most disgustingly hypocritical racist individuals in Labour. Labour has too many trash people in it like Diane Abbott and I don't believe it's just Corbyn at the helm that's causing people to turn away from Labour, it's the party as a whole and what it become which is a far cry from the working class party it was years ago.

Neolara Thu 13-Jun-19 07:28:34

I agree op. But he won't stand down and the members won't replace him. Depressing.

Isitsixoclockalready Thu 13-Jun-19 07:30:23

Unless we get PR (which before anyone says anything, I know does have its drawbacks as well) we will not see truly representative democracy. I'm no fan of UKIP and even less so now that Mr Yaxley-Lennon is in charge but it can't be right that their showing in 2017 won them no seats. The traditional argument against PR is that it results in weak government but we ended up with that anyway after the last GE.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »