Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about yoga teacher taking photos during classes?

(15 Posts)
ChiaraMontague Fri 07-Jun-19 16:16:15

I started going to yoga about 3 months ago and really loved the classes.

I discovered recently that the teacher takes photos during the classes and posts them on all her social media accounts. When I first found out, the pictures she posted were not very identifiable (taken from distance and cropped so you couldn't really see anyone's faces) but they've gradually been getting more frequent and more identifiable.

This makes me really uncomfortable, firstly because I don't use social media and I think that if she is using the photos to publicise her business then she should get our consent to having our photos taken. And secondly because I hate the idea of photos being taken without warning in EVERY class, especially because its in poses when we are all relaxing or can't see what she's doing. It makes me feel really paranoid and self conscious about being in the class.

I know that people take photos everywhere these days, but I really don't like it. I do a weekly dance class with an instructor who uses social media very heavily for promotion, but that instructor always lets us know in advance if she'll be taking photos or filming for her YouTube channel and gives us the option of attending a different class if we don't want to be filmed.

AIBU to ask her either to not take photos where I'm identifiable / to point out spots in the class where I can go without being in the pictures?

ifyoulikepinacolada Fri 07-Jun-19 16:18:16

No. I’d complain, loudly - it’s totally unacceptable!

BackforGood Fri 07-Jun-19 16:20:34

Of course YANBU.
That is really intrusive, and unprofessional.
Be worth getting someone to post on her site, asking if she has written permission from the people she is photographing, to post their pictures on social media.
Bet she'll lose a fair few customers if they are aware she is doing this.
You are well within your rights to say you have been told she is putting photographs of people in the class on social media and you'd like her to remove them.
Also let other people in the class know.
I bet you won't be the only one unhappy.

BurpingFrog Fri 07-Jun-19 16:20:59

It's very bad practice on her part if she hasn't got consent and it sounds from what you say as if you never signed anything (I assume you'd remember if it had been part of the sign-up paperwork? Maybe worth double checking.)

YWNBU to ask her to not take photos where you're identifiable or to point out spots where you can go without being in the pictures. In a way, a "no photo zone" in the class sounds like a great idea.

BurpingFrog Fri 07-Jun-19 16:21:33

And if you feel up to it, you could complain about the issue more directly.

BurpingFrog Fri 07-Jun-19 16:22:37

Good idea, @BackforGood

avocadochocolate Fri 07-Jun-19 16:27:36

YANBU. She should ask permission. I always tell my DP this because he often posts embarrassing photos of me. He totally lacks common sense in this way - he once posted photos of my unwrapping my birthday presents wearing my PJs. I was not happy about the world seeing mu PJs. Personally, I wouldn't be too fussed about a yoga class.

caughtinanet Fri 07-Jun-19 16:28:05

I have a similar dilemma, I go to an exercise class I enjoy but the teacher has started to post photos every week of other classes she teaches, it's obvious that the people know the photos are being taken but I have a couple of friends who don't do social media who are often in the photos. One of them I know isn't happy about it and tbh it's putting me off going back, no one wants to be that person in a small intimate class ime

ballsdeep Fri 07-Jun-19 16:30:26

The gym I went to did this. Live streamed their classes on fb and Instagram!!!!!!! When I saw I couldn't believe it.

BarryBarryTaylor Fri 07-Jun-19 16:32:09

I wouldn’t like that, it’s very intrusive. I go to yoga to exercise and unwind not to be photographed unknowingly.
I think you should voice your concerns at your next class OP!

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 07-Jun-19 16:32:14

No fucking way ! I’d hate that

Sindragosan Fri 07-Jun-19 16:33:19

Not unreasonable. You should have been asked for written permission for pictures if they're being used for promotion. In a children's class one of the teachers took a whole pile of pictures without consent and there was a massive fuss (not at school) as some of the children had been in care and weren't supposed to be on social media.

FredFlinstoneMadeOfBones Fri 07-Jun-19 16:35:03

I'm not that bothered about having my photo used personally but I agree with you that people should have been warned and had their consent if identifiable photos were being taken. It's unacceptable to do it on the sly.

clairedelalune Fri 07-Jun-19 16:38:28

I have been in exercise classes where this has happened and just told the instructor that photos of me are not to be published due to my job. That usually stops them.
It annoys me so much though. People really are very ignorant about the problems it can cause someone if their photo is published.

TheTitOfTheIceberg Fri 07-Jun-19 16:40:14

This is very bad practice. My old Pilates instructor was very good at warning us the week before if there were going to be photographs taken the following week (it was council-run so sometimes the council would send a photographer for pics for their newsletters etc) and any of us who weren't keen had the opportunity to opt out and ensure he stayed at the far end of the room.

Definitely speak up OP, just ask if the instructor can check for consent as not everyone will be comfortable with being photographed or videoed. It doesn't need to be a confrontational discussion.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »