Talk

Advanced search

Nursery put Henna on my child.

(303 Posts)
Pencilcase123 Tue 04-Jun-19 21:54:10

When my DH picked up our DD (4) from nursery one of the staff said she had drawn DDs initials in Henna on Dds hand because Dd insisted. DH did not complain.

I am baffled as to why the nursery would have Henna out in the first place. It is brown Henna and I don’t think it is particularly dangerous but I am quite miffed that nursery staff thought it was ok to give my 4 year old a temporary tattoo. Would you complain about this?

Norwayswedeniceland Tue 04-Jun-19 21:55:19

That’s really bad and an awful lot of people have reactions to Henna. I’d be furious

dementedpixie Tue 04-Jun-19 21:56:53

It's normally black henna that causes reactions not brown. I'm not sure I'd be bothered

Pinkyyy Tue 04-Jun-19 21:59:52

I wouldn't be happy at all. I'd make a complaint and ask them not to do anything of the sort again.

Seeline Tue 04-Jun-19 22:01:17

I had to send in a signed consent form when DD s secondary did this for charity at the Christmas fair.

I would be very cross. She could easily have a reaction.

TheTrollFairy Tue 04-Jun-19 22:03:56

i probably wouldn’t complain. DD loves temporary tattoos and she quite often goes to nursery with them on (although I know slightly different). I would be devastated if she had a reaction to it and scarred though so on this I don’t think it was a wise decision for them to do it

Bobbiepin Tue 04-Jun-19 22:03:57

I had to sign a consent for my dd's nursery to out suncream on her. I'd be fuming if she came home with henna. Definitely make a complaint.

SavoyCabbage Tue 04-Jun-19 22:04:12

Eid ul Fitr Is today. They absolutely should have got a signed permission slip for this.

YetAnotherThing Tue 04-Jun-19 22:04:46

Meh.

sarahg216 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:05:39

It’s probably to do with the nursery celebrating Eid. Nursery local to us did the same. They did ask our consent before though and we said no.

BlueMerchant Tue 04-Jun-19 22:06:10

I'd have no problem if I'd been asked in advance however without my consent I'd be very annoyed.

Binglebong Tue 04-Jun-19 22:06:57

How is your DD insisting on this so firmly that she can't be told no? What if she insists on climbing on a roof?!

Why was it there in the first place and why can't they tell a four year old no?

FedUpMum40 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:08:05

Do nursery normally do this?

Chesterwife Tue 04-Jun-19 22:09:06

Would find it a bit hard to get worked up about this tbh

Jinglejanglefish Tue 04-Jun-19 22:09:08

We did this at nursery I used to work in to celebrate Eid. Parents were asked to sign a consent form though. I personally wouldn't be bothered about it if my child had asked for it and was happy with it.

GlamGiraffe Tue 04-Jun-19 22:10:02

I'd be completely furious. I don't like that kind of thing on kids for "fun". I would not permit my child and it is not up to nursery to decide on something like that on a parents behalf.
I have had a reaction to a tiny amount of henna at a wedding and wouldn't want it tried in necessary on a child.
It is appropriate nursery explain this situation and explain why henna was in use at school ( considering it doesn't wash off for a while) andwhether thet had even considered that henna causes severe reactions and such things need explicit permission.
If your child insisted they wanted to go out of school to the park alone would they let her? Of course not. So why would they paint her hand because she insisted?
Ridiculous.

MissPollyHadADolly19 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:10:04

It's Eid today/Tomorrow so that would probably be the reason. They should of asked for consent though, that is definitely a must.

Bunnybigears Tue 04-Jun-19 22:11:48

Is it definite henna? I know some nurseries/schools have used brown body paints to draw designs on the kids hands as part of Eid

HJWT Tue 04-Jun-19 22:13:21

Id complain but my DD has sensitive skin and eczema xx

AngelOfDeathNix Tue 04-Jun-19 22:13:45

Is it definitely henna? Our foundation class have been decorating themselves with blue paint patterns today!

LazyFace Tue 04-Jun-19 22:14:46

Eid or not they should definitely have asked for permission.

ILoveJoeBrown Tue 04-Jun-19 22:16:54

Um... paints, glue, felt tips...?

YourSarcasmIsDripping Tue 04-Jun-19 22:17:09

Not ok to do it without a permission slip.

While I wouldn't mind ,they can't guarantee no other parents wouldn't either, that the kid won't have a reaction etc.

It's good practice to ask for permission,for everyone's sake.

HelloJackie Tue 04-Jun-19 22:17:23

My god so you'd complain to the teachers if your DC drew permanent marker on herself too?

Get a grip, seriously

Sparkles07 Tue 04-Jun-19 22:20:01

How do some people have the energy to be angry and upset about things like this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »