Talk

Advanced search

To not want to have to pay 70 euro for an outside tap to be put in?

(12 Posts)
KerryMumbledore Sat 21-Jul-07 16:05:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 21-Jul-07 16:11:23

And theres the very reason I Always get quotes before anyone does anything for me.

And I would try to find something to pay neighbour man back. Even just ask him & his wife in for a cooked meal?

If a friend asked my dh to do a job for them we wouldn't take payment, is the neighbour your friend? If so, then I wouldn't feel too bad about the thankyou not being cash, but would still find a way to show my appreciation.

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 21-Jul-07 16:12:00

Also, did he have the parts? Did he have to charge you for the parts? Or had you already bought them & they just needed fitted?

iota Sat 21-Jul-07 16:17:35

TBH £50 is about what I'd expect to pay - IME most tradespeople have a £50 minimum call out charge, if not more

I had to pay £80 for 5 mins work for a roofer to replace some tiles on my roof

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 21-Jul-07 16:19:37

Also, was it an emergency? Or did the plumber know he was just helping your neighbour do a favour?

My brother is a joiner & people often ask him to help them fit floors etc... if he knows it's a favour & it's in the evening time, he won't charge.... if they call & ask him to do a job during the daytime he will charge... it's his business.

KerryMumbledore Sat 21-Jul-07 16:31:19

KerryMumbledore Sat 21-Jul-07 16:32:15

nightshade Sat 21-Jul-07 16:41:27

by the time you take out tax, petrol to get to the job and price of tap, 70 euros is o.k.

most plumbers would charge about £70 sterling for the same job.

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 21-Jul-07 22:32:44

Hi again

I have just found this again on my "Threads im on" thingy, and as Dh is home now I asked him

He is a builder & works with plumbers & joiners & said that the tap its-self is £20 in our local B&Q & that any plumber up here charges a flat £50 call out fee plus charges for work done. He said if it had been up here it could easily have been around £120

So I guess 70Euro is about £50? Say £20 for the tap then & £30 for the work done.... so not as much as it seems, but a lot if you weren't expecting to be charged that much.

FWIW I would love 2 bags of clothes for the kids as payment!!

KerryMumbledore Sun 22-Jul-07 00:08:30

Fireflyfairy2 Sun 22-Jul-07 00:12:46

Yeah It happens to the best of us!

I recall when we built this house, the plasterer charged us a hefty sum for doing inside & outside.

He couldn't do the fireplace as it needed to sit for a while so he came back a few months down the line [about 8 months I think] and he did it one afternoon. I remember he came at lunchtime with a labourer & I was heavily pg with ds. I made them sandwiches & tea etc... then when they left he called in the back door "Do you want to pay me now or shall I bill you?"

I was that shocked I said "Um... ah, sure I'll ask dh" He then said that it was £50! To do a chimney breast!!

Dh bloody paid him that evening!! There was me thinking when he got paid the first time around, it included the chimney breast!

KerryMumbledore Sun 22-Jul-07 00:15:36

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now