Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

in not wanting my inlaws to stay for a month?

(7 Posts)
bobblehead Fri 20-Jul-07 15:23:36

We live abroad so don't see them often, and while they are nice people I find them hard work. We are just nearing the end of their 2 week stay with us, which has actually gone very well and for once I don't want to drive a stake through MILs heart, when she asked last night how I would feel about them coming for month next time. I could barely conceal my horror.
AIBU in putting my foot down and saying absolutely not? (DH doesn't want them anymore than I do but I'm feeling guilty as they have no grandchildren back home).

2spells Fri 20-Jul-07 15:35:04

yanbu and you know that

dal21 Fri 20-Jul-07 15:35:26

YANBU - the fact that two weeks has gone relatively well is fantastic! Can you fob them off without giving a firm answer right now and ask if you can discuss it nearer the next visit? Make a call on it nearer the time and if you really don't want them for longer than 2 weeks; come up with a reason why it doesnt work for you??
I love my mother to bits and she has just spent the last 6 days with her - have had a fab time; but am equally happy to have our home back to ourselves!

SpeccieSeccie Fri 20-Jul-07 15:37:13

YANBU! Could you compromise? Three weeks and they have to stay in a hotel for half of it?

bobblehead Fri 20-Jul-07 15:43:43

Thankyou! really needed to hear that

I have already told MIL in no uncertain terms what I think as she caught me off guard when she asked
I told her it was too long, would disrupt the dds too much and that it was better to go after 2 weeks while we all still liked each other

Part of my problem with her is that she really cannot take a hint (or a direct hit!!) she has already asked me 3 times over previous years about longer visits to which I always say no and she clearly doesn't listen!

LucyJones Fri 20-Jul-07 15:48:21

yanbu -get dh to sort it though, it's his mum and up to him imo

lucyellensmum Fri 20-Jul-07 15:53:19

bobblehead, yanbu, i would feel totally the same as you. However, you can understand why your inlaws want to stay longer with their GCs. Also, it says a lot about your hospitality that they want to stay for such a long time. I couldnt put up with anyone in my house for that long though. Maybe a compromise would be that they stay with you for a week or two next time, whatever is acceptable to you and then find some accomodation locally and have themselves a holiday when they can visit the children etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now