Talk

Advanced search

To ask what words come into your head when you hear 'Call/Contact Centre Job'

(63 Posts)
Lifeonmars77 Thu 23-May-19 18:56:54

Just that really. Interested in perceptions and opinions of that type of role.

YahBasic Thu 23-May-19 18:59:45

I used to work in one so I’d say receiving inbound calls & providing customer service for minimum wage.

Had good colleagues and shifts were fairly flexible, but no opportunity for progression & monotonous work.

S0CKS Thu 23-May-19 19:00:31

I used to work in one i earnt amazing money

chipsandpeas Thu 23-May-19 19:01:43

depends on the compay, i work for one that does inbound/outbound sales and customer services, business to business tho
company is very big on personal development and its not unheard of new starts moving onto other jobs within 12 months outwith the contact centre
and they paymore than min wage

Happygolucky009 Thu 23-May-19 19:02:36

No thank you!

Simply awful x

TeenTimesTwo Thu 23-May-19 19:03:46

Ah. My DD1 has just started doing this. smile
- better pay than a nursery
- better working conditions than a nursery
- fewer life threatening responsibilities than a nursery
- more variety of colleagues than a nursery

maddiemookins16mum Thu 23-May-19 19:06:39

Stress, targets, not being to even go to the loo without asking permission (and being timed as to how long you’re on ‘wrap’). Calls waiting, team leaders hollering ‘there are 9 calls waiting, pick up, pick up’, hated it to the point it made me ill.

Tableclothing Thu 23-May-19 19:11:22

Hell. Being treated like a thing, not a person. Boredom.

Chwaraeteg Thu 23-May-19 19:11:27

Soulless work, emotional labour, enforced positivity, strip lighting - migraines, young people, low pay, dead end, conformity, mcjob, pointless, depressing, lack of respect, angry customers, means to an end, unempowered.

I've been working in a call centre almost a decade now! I'm Kind of happy I got made redundant.

It's shit that the level of respect, job progression and renumeration are so low because a lot of the work is actually quite highly skilled and most of my colleagues have been lovely people!

Soubriquet Thu 23-May-19 19:12:32

Impossible career choice for me

I can’t use telephones

lasttimeround Thu 23-May-19 19:14:21

Awful uni job doing this. Targets and boredom

Foslady Thu 23-May-19 19:35:03

The two are different things - call centres are generally outward bound sales calls, contact centres are generally inbound calls requesting a service.
I’ve worked a contact centre - if you have a good team it can be great, but I’m not cut out for call centre work

BentNeckLady Thu 23-May-19 19:37:32

Some contact centre jobs are awful but I had one that I loved and was fulfilling, that paid great money for a great company which was a springboard to another job.

I guess it depends on the company.

doingasurvey Thu 23-May-19 19:44:48

Rude customers

Repetitive

HiItsClemFandango Thu 23-May-19 19:50:11

Being timed on how long I went to the loo for, team leaders constantly shouting about calls queuing, rude customers, awful awful anxiety inducing job

musicposy Thu 23-May-19 19:50:24

The first thing that comes into my head is you couldn't pay me enough for me to agree to do it. I honestly think I'd rather starve.

AfterSchoolWorry Thu 23-May-19 19:51:55

Did it 25 years ago. Hell on earth.

Lwmommy Thu 23-May-19 19:56:17

I love call centres, have progressed every 2 years since staring at 17, now in a senior leadership position on good money.

Like every job you get out what you put in!

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 23-May-19 20:00:24

I worked in one cold calling, selling kitchens when I was a student (ok it wasn't an ethical choice but I was skint). Turned out I was quite good at it and earned really good money. It was absolutely soul destroying though, I felt awful for the people who worked there full time, permanently. The management were genuinely stupid we and had gained promotion by just staying there, when staff turn over was ridiculously high.

Thehop Thu 23-May-19 20:01:09

TeenTimesTwo I’ve been in a nursery for 15 years. I have an early years degree and an still only minimum wage at nearly 40 years old. Early years work is so hard and so badly paid, please tell your daughter not to go back.

Amanduh Thu 23-May-19 20:05:43

It makes me see how wuick people are to WRONGLY judge. Yes, some are bloody awful. But some are fab! I worked in one part time as a student, and in the lead up to Christmas last year to help out a friend. Both inbound only so no sales just customer service enquires and answering emails. Way way above minimum wage, good money for easy work.
Very flexible and easy to pick up more or less work.
Anyone I know who judges that job where they hear it is very misjudged! I used to think ‘sales, min wage’ but it was the opposite!

Mammylamb Thu 23-May-19 20:07:20

Shit working conditions

Corndog Thu 23-May-19 20:11:41

Good money, busy but happy work. Did it for years.

JamB4cream Thu 23-May-19 20:12:56

I've worked inbound call center sales, the things i took away from it is you are monitored, watched, listened to, everything in your working day is controlled and performance plotted.

I didn't mind the work, but hate that minutes on toilet breaks are checked, minutes logged onto incoming calls are measured, you are very controlled.

Valued, senior staff are never put under so much minute by minute scrutiny.

MrsXyzAbc Thu 23-May-19 20:15:28

Hell. My nightmare job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »