Talk

Advanced search

To hate the Clangers, In the Night Garden and Bing with a passion?

(97 Posts)
Justanyrh1 Thu 23-May-19 18:33:03

The Clangers: they look like knitted penises and sound creepy as fuck.

In the Night Garden: headache-inducing relentless gibberish (is there scientific evidence that this kind of thing is good for young brains or are they just aiming to torture us?!)

Bing: I keep expecting Flop to suddenly snap and murder the whiny little shit.

Hey Duggee and Sarah & Duck, however, are brilliant. Why can’t we have more like this??

NewSchoolNewName Thu 23-May-19 19:47:37

It’ll be because In The Night Garden had budget constraints and figured toddlers wouldn’t notice the ridiculous size discrepancies between the inside and the outside of the Pinky Ponk / Ninky Nonk.

Amanduh Thu 23-May-19 19:48:44

I love Bing and In The Night Garden 😂

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 23-May-19 19:50:37

It’ll be because In The Night Garden had budget constraints and figured toddlers wouldn’t notice the ridiculous size discrepancies between the inside and the outside of the Pinky Ponk / Ninky Nonk.

Unacceptable - why do toddlers' viewing requirements automatically take precedence over mine?! grin grin grin

Also, from the already small budget, I'm guessing that quite a tidy amount of it had already been spent on 'herbs'. grin

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 23-May-19 19:53:24

I love Bing and In The Night Garden 😂

Put them together, though - Bing's incessant whining would never cease with Makka Pakka's constantly assailing him for non-consensual face cleaning.

Hoppity Voosh is all right, though - give him his own show.

ScrommidgeClaryAndSpunt Thu 23-May-19 19:55:25

WE LIKE TO DRINK WITH DUGGEE
COS DUGGEE IS OUR MATE
AND WHEN WE DRINK WITH DUGGEE
HE GETS IT DOWN IN 8...7...6...

Ahem. Sorry.

Clangers: don't mind
Night Garden: saw faaaaar too much of that when DS1 (13) was a toddler and it was first on
Bing: it's Sula I feel sorry for tbh.

whereonearth Thu 23-May-19 19:55:27

BING

It’s when we switch channels. Horrible whingey shite.

We never make it to In The Night Garden.

What I want to know is why is there a Scottish hour? Molly and Mack then the Ballymorag (?) show?

ForalltheSaints Thu 23-May-19 19:56:01

How can anyone dislike the Clangers? Think of all the puppets had to go through to get on to our screen!

Everytimeref Thu 23-May-19 20:15:19

Bing is awful. Why encourage toddler to winge?

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 23-May-19 20:44:55

Bing is awful. Why encourage toddler to winge?

Even worse, the deliberate incorrect pronunciations of words. I realise that it's trying to emulate how toddlers might struggle with some more complicated sounds, but it just gives them the idea that the wrong way is actually correct, because 'that's how somebody on the telly said it'. They won't necessarily understand that Bing is getting the word wrong because he too is a toddler (albeit a massive one).

IRL, if a small child pointed out a 'lellow' car, the parent would smile and say "Yes, that's right - it IS a YELLOW one!" (with yellow clearly enunciated rather than shouted).

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Thu 23-May-19 20:49:15

What I want to know is why is there a Scottish hour? Molly and Mack then the Ballymorag (?) show?

The Scottish ones are among the much more watchable ones - I quite like Molly & Mack, Woolly & Tig and Katie Morag (was never quite as keen on Balamory).

You could just as legitimately ask why there are at least 10 English hours each day smile

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Thu 23-May-19 21:00:10

We banned Bing. Our DD began whining about her food and we said to both sets of GPs to not let her watch it. Peppa isn't allowed in our house but she watches it elsewhere. She is now 6 and enjoys nothing more than hours of My Little Pony, usually not in order of episode though so I'm not sure if we've seen them all or not grin

BogglesGoggles Thu 23-May-19 21:04:53

I find in the night garden creepy as fuck. Shaun the sheep all the way for me my kids.

BogglesGoggles Thu 23-May-19 21:07:13

@newschoolnewname I think I may have the intellectual prowess of a toddler blush

JassyRadlett Thu 23-May-19 21:10:39

Look, I’m just grateful fucking Waybuloo doesn’t seem to be on any more.

DH has quite a dark theory about the world of Bing, He reckons there’s been some sort of mutation that means that most of the world’s people/creatures are undersized and underdeveloped. So they are selectively breeding creatures that will be enormous for either noble or nefarious ends.

Sort of CBeebies meets Gilead.

aabidah86 Thu 23-May-19 21:12:03

Off tangent but I HATE the theme tune for the new awful CGI Peter Rabbit. I always turn off when it comes on.

NewSchoolNewName Thu 23-May-19 21:13:13

The “Scottish hour” has got me thinking - does CBeebies have any Welsh shows?

Pablo is Northern Irish and they used to have that bizarre Little Roy show as well, but I can’t think of any Welsh ones.

Baloonphobia Thu 23-May-19 21:18:05

Peter Rabbit is a cocky little so and so and Bing is such a whinger. Time for a rabbit cull I think.

peachgreen Thu 23-May-19 21:29:49

My theory is that Bing is actually designed for parents to teach us parenting skills because if Flop can cope with that whiny little shit with such infinite kindness and patience, we can definitely cope with our toddlers. Since coming up with this theory I've started to love it. Flop is just so GOOD.

JaretsGirlfren Thu 23-May-19 21:30:02

Jassy I wondered if the Bing creature are born huge and shrivel down as they get older, or if they get born small but grown up and grow into huge things with toddler minds

Firstworddinosaur Thu 23-May-19 21:32:23

Sarah and Duck is brilliant. I like Sarah, she'll do well in life.

Bing however, can do one.

peachgreen Thu 23-May-19 21:33:17

Also Peter Rabbit is an utter shit. I hate him. And those stupid songs. All of them. I also loathe Tree Fu Tom.

I love Duggee, Katie Morag and Molly and Mack (and not just because their dad is fit). And I love the CBeebies presenters.

TweeBee Thu 23-May-19 21:41:39

In the night garden is totes a metaphor for death. We never watch it. I can’t bear all the wrong words in it. DS picked up a book of it recently at the library - awful rubbish about Makka Pakka and his ‘uff uff’ - a towel / flannel / facecloth for crying out load. I showed him the pictures but we didn’t take it home.

fblake Thu 23-May-19 21:43:52

@m4rdybum she! Colly Wobble is a she! I know far too much about Moon and Me blush

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Thu 23-May-19 22:59:38

if Flop can cope with that whiny little shit with such infinite kindness and patience, we can definitely cope with our toddlers

It takes a lot to make me feel mum guilt but Flop manages on a frequent basis.

There are many times I’ve found myself on the 0833 to Vauxhall after a shit morning of bellowing at the children to hurry up thinking

“How can I be more like Flop?”

floraloctopus Thu 23-May-19 23:00:44

The original Clangers were great, not seen the new version.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »