Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that the Transformers movie has a 12A certificate, when my 5 year old DS is Transformers mad?

(233 Posts)
daisyandbabybootoo Fri 20-Jul-07 12:58:06

He really wants to see it at the cinema...how do I tell him that he can't?

cazzybabs Fri 20-Jul-07 13:00:49

A 12a means you can take him - its like a PG with an adult. However, it means it will be scary and violent - so wether you want to is another matter.

Persoanlly I wouldn't take a 5 year old to see a 12a - but then I have over-senstive children. I know people who took their 5 year olds to see the new Harry Potter and Spiderman.

flack Fri 20-Jul-07 13:01:15

The trailers for that movie look seriously scarey. Just say that? It's too scarey!

Would he be satisfied with a different treat by way of compensation?

OrmIrian Fri 20-Jul-07 13:02:24

I thought that 12A meant children under that age can go as long as they are with a responsible adult. I remember there was a fuss because the first Spiderman movie was 12 so they made the next one 12A.

I hope so 'cos DS#1 wants to see it.

daisyandbabybootoo Fri 20-Jul-07 13:05:42

oops my mistake, I thought 12A meant that he couldn't go......

...the scariness won't bother him and he's been talking about the film for ages so fobbing him off might be difficult.

thanks for setting me right on the certification

nappyaddict Fri 20-Jul-07 13:31:59

aren't the guidelines 8+ with an adult 12+ without?

manicmama Fri 20-Jul-07 13:33:56

My 5 year old son is transformers mad as well. However, I saw a clip and I am not sure I will be taking mine. It looks quite violent.

cazzybabs Fri 20-Jul-07 13:33:58

From the bbfc website:

12A – Suitable for 12 years and over. No-one younger than 12 may see a ‘12A’ film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. No-one younger than 12 may rent or buy a ‘12’ rated video or DVD. Responsibility for allowing under-12s to view lies with the accompanying or supervising adult.
Theme

Mature themes are acceptable, but their treatment must be suitable for young teenagers.
Language

The use of strong language (eg 'fuck') must be infrequent. Racist abuse is also of particular concern.
Nudity

Nudity is allowed, but in a sexual context must be brief and discreet.
Sex

Sexual activity may be implied. Sex references may reflect what is likely to be familiar to most adolescents but should not go beyond what is suitable for them.
Violence

Violence must not dwell on detail. There should be no emphasis on injuries or blood. Sexual violence may only be implied or briefly and discreetly indicated.
Imitable techniques

Dangerous techniques (eg combat, hanging, suicide and self-harming) should not dwell on imitable detail or appear pain or harm free. Easily accessible weapons should not be glamorised.
Horror

Sustained moderate threat and menace are permitted. Occasional gory moments only.
Drugs

Any misuse of drugs must be infrequent and should not be glamorised or instructional.

I am sure the guidelines are 8+ though - but I am sure they are just that guidelines.

Tortington Fri 20-Jul-07 13:34:46

i have seen this movie and its FUCKING BRILLIANT>

harleyd Fri 20-Jul-07 13:36:12

i am downloading it atm, kids cant wait to see it

TinyGang Fri 20-Jul-07 13:37:00

I saw the trailer too - it did look good but would be too scary for my 5 yr old ds.

It's a shame they don't tone the films down a bit for them because little boys are so into all this.

It was the same story with Spiderman. Ds loves Spiderman - or at least the concept of Spiderman - he doesn't get to see the films because they aren't aimed at his age-group. All the merchandise is though.

quint Fri 20-Jul-07 13:38:51

Why don;t you get him the dvd of the old film or tv show

verytricky Fri 20-Jul-07 14:58:18

littlelapin Fri 20-Jul-07 15:00:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lunavix Fri 20-Jul-07 15:01:56

-whispers- I'm happy for my ds to see it, and Harry Potter. We're taking him to see Harry Potter saturday, he's 3...

littlelapin Fri 20-Jul-07 15:03:45

LowFatMilkshake Fri 20-Jul-07 15:04:24

Took DD 3 and friends DS 5 and 6 to see Shrek and Transformers was advertised, bth DD and FDS 5 were really scared by the trailer!

On a side note - saw HP last night.....best one yet

lunavix Fri 20-Jul-07 15:06:11

ds wouldn't be scared, and he can communicate well enough to ask questions. If I honestly thought it would scare him I wouldn't take him, but he loves all the previous four.

littlelapin Fri 20-Jul-07 15:07:40

HedTwigg Fri 20-Jul-07 15:07:55

I bet you're not half as annoyed as the Transformers producers ..what a way to cut your target market

I would simply NEVER take a child to a 12A film ... I just wouldn't .. it has 12A for a reason IMO ... and my DS is 6

harleyd Fri 20-Jul-07 15:11:05

i have no problems with my 8, 6 and 3 year old watching it

cazzybabs Fri 20-Jul-07 15:14:48

Well why did the producers make a scary film - surely there target audience is little boys (well and people who haven't grown up but would go and see it even it was less scary and violent).

littlelapin Fri 20-Jul-07 15:18:06

butterbeer Fri 20-Jul-07 15:21:37

I think their target audience is people who were little boys at the time of the first Transformers craze. They have the same obsessive adoration as the current 5-year-olds, but more disposable income.

KerryMumbledore Fri 20-Jul-07 15:23:24

Ah well daisy my almost 5 year old is going as well.

So don't let anyone make you feel bad.

There's no way I can get out of this one.

He's transformers MAD and has been for at least 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now