Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think uni students should pay council tax?

(206 Posts)
alwaysreadthelabel Wed 22-May-19 20:57:12

I live in a uni town. We have massive areas that were non student resident housing areas but are now mainly student areas. I cannot get my head round why students don't pay council tax. They use all the same services as non student residents, admittedly not for the whole year but at least for 9 months. They use the roads, bins, libraries etc. .... why do they not have to pay council tax?

I know some will say they can't afford it but that could be said about any household bill. It really confuses me.

UnicornBrexit Wed 22-May-19 20:58:35

They use the roads, bins, libraries etc

So do my school children

PristineCondition Wed 22-May-19 21:02:53

Why not all school children!!

Little free loading council resource drainers

alwaysreadthelabel Wed 22-May-19 21:03:15

*unicorn

But I assume you are paying council tax and your children are not over 18. Students who are over 18 should surely pay?

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 22-May-19 21:04:09

You are being ridiculous op.

Jasging Wed 22-May-19 21:04:32

This was what the poll tax did. That went well.

00100001 Wed 22-May-19 21:04:40

Well it's probably the same reason why those on a low income don't pay....what with students being on a low income and all...

HolesinTheSoles Wed 22-May-19 21:04:53

Because they're in education and while they are they're being supported to an extent by the rest of us tax payers just like school children, unemployed people and those receiving state pension. I'm more than happy to continue that support.

InfiniteCurve Wed 22-May-19 21:05:21

hmm

Reallybadidea Wed 22-May-19 21:05:24

It's like Maggie Thatcher has returned from the dead hmm

Purpletigers Wed 22-May-19 21:05:38

I think some students have it hard enough tbh without having to worry about council tax too .

alwaysreadthelabel Wed 22-May-19 21:06:02

mydc can you articulate why? Why is it any different to someone else paying council tax? Why should someone pay it if they are only on a minimum wage job? Why should OAP's pay it?

domton Wed 22-May-19 21:06:08

I did laugh at the thought of me doing my work in my library. Nothing relevant there, I'm guessing they use the uni libraries?

I'm sure they contribute more to the local economy than they would pay in council tax as they are all stuffed into multiple occupancy houses.

They don't work. Yes, I think you are being unreasonable.

RedPandaMama Wed 22-May-19 21:06:53

Because when I was at uni 2 years ago I got £3800 a year maintenance loan - my rent was £100 a week aka £5200 a year including bills. I couldn't afford to pay council tax on top. I already had to work 25 hours a week as well as a full time degree to afford to live. I went out three times in the whole year because I had absolutely no money. Even my most affluent friends (those from the lowest income families who received the maximum loan and bursaries) had around £6k a year to live on after paying rent.

Would you expect someone earning £6k a year to pay full council tax?

FlyingElbows Wed 22-May-19 21:06:58

I'm a student and I do pay council tax. Hth, op.

SinkGirl Wed 22-May-19 21:07:06

Yeah, screw them. It’s not like society needs graduates, is it?

StoneofDestiny Wed 22-May-19 21:07:08

These properties don't pay either.......
If it is owned by a charity
If all residents are under 18 years old
If all residents have severe mental impairments
If it is lived in by diplomats
If the property is a self-contained ‘granny flat’ where a dependent relative lives

Yet to meet a poor diplomat!

SeaViewBliss Wed 22-May-19 21:08:03

Students get a lot of reductions in general - it's an extension of things being free/cheaper while they're at school.

We live in a society where those that can afford to, pay extra to cover the cost of those who cannot. There are many reasons why people are exempt from council tax.

I know you are saying why is it different from any other household bill but in DDs experience, the total rest of her bills are far less than her CT would be if she had to pay it. It would make living in her Uni town un-affordable for her. Also, she can choose to be frugal with other bills if she needs to, she wouldn't be able to with CT.

UnicornBrexit Wed 22-May-19 21:08:31

Students who are over 18 should surely pay?

how?

00100001 Wed 22-May-19 21:08:31

OP I'm sure when you're offspring go to university you will either happily pay their council tax for them, or tell them to suck it up and find and the extra money from somewhere on top of their fees, rent, food, etc

I'm sure it will be really easy for them.

Stefoscope Wed 22-May-19 21:08:36

The same could be said about people claiming certain benefits who are on a low income (jobseekers, disability, etc). Most will only be students for 3 years and then will be working and paying Council Tax.

BinkyBaa Wed 22-May-19 21:08:49

If students paid council tax, more would be forced to live at home/they'd have to up the maintenance loan to afford it. I understand where you're coming from but as a now masters student, the last 4 years of my life have been pretty depressing financially on top of uni work stress.

Students aren't usually eligible for any kind of benefits so it's all on the loan and part time work. My means tested loans during my bachelors just fell short of covering my rent for the year, leaving me with around £400-500 from my job to cover the rest of the months bills/food/transport etc.

Masters on the other hand is a 10k loan split 6k on tuition and 4k extra, so theres a bit less for my rent this year.

Council tax around here is about £1200 paid over 10 months, so £120 a month. Sure it's doable for a extra shift a week in work, but it's still a crap extra bill to get when you're working a minimum wage job you hate, stressing over deadlines, working a placement for uni, living in generally poorly maintained flat shares and not eligible for any help from the council.

BogglesGoggles Wed 22-May-19 21:09:09

I don’t think uni students use public libraries. They also don’t tend to drive and generally produce less waste what with being skint and all. On your logic they indeed should pay very little/none

PearlandRubies194 Wed 22-May-19 21:09:14

I wonder if you’ll say the same when/if your children go to University and are struggling to pay their fees, rent, food etc and then council tax on top. They can’t afford it OP - they’re paying a lot out for accommodation and in my local Uni town that means a ridiculous amount for a room in a grotty house

donajimena Wed 22-May-19 21:09:23

I'm a student and its WONDERFUL not paying council tax grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »