Talk

Advanced search

Talk me out of buying this house!

(302 Posts)
RainbowMe Tue 21-May-19 10:41:10

The husband and I have spent the last five years making our house a home, and we've just got it exactly how we want it. We decided the time was also right to start trying for a baby, and are currently in our second two week wait so far. All being well, the plan is for me to give up work and be a stay at home Mum for a good few years before going back to work and possibly thinking about buying a bigger house.

Everything was ticking along nicely, but then... a house came up for sale that I have dreamed of living in since I was a little girl! I told my husband expecting (hoping) that he would tell me not to be silly etc, but he is now more excited about it than I am shock

There are many reasons we should not buy this house...

The biggest one is that it would add 80k into the mortgage. It would stretch us to the absolute limit of what we'd be allowed to borrow and would take the stay at home Mum idea completely off the table.

It has no central heating or mains sewage (storage heaters and a log burner; septic tank). I know these things wouldn't be a big deal to many people, but we'd have no money left to get the heating done and the septic tank would worry me (I am a huge worrier).

The house itself is no bigger or nicer than our current one (both smallish three bed houses of around 1000 square feet). Our house has useful things like a garage and a downstairs loo which this one doesn't.

But this one is in a really special location and is very unique for our area. The garden is like a park and there are no neighbours for about 2 miles in either direction (my absolute dream). It kind of feels like a once in a lifetime opportunity. I know there are other rural properties like it, but very few in my "patch". We already live in a very nice village down the road and I know we are very lucky to have what we've got, but it's not the peaceful rural life I dream of. I know this makes me sound like a spoilt brat and is a nice "first world problem" to have. But I just couldn't sleep last night thinking about this house, and now I can't concentrate on my work either blush

Someone tell me to stop being silly!

spiderlight Tue 21-May-19 11:13:43

Much as I'd love to live two miles from neighbours, this might not be great when you have an older child and nobody ever knocks for them to go out to play. It would be a complete pain having to pre-arrange and drive to play-dates with friends all through the summer holidays.

Dustyroad63 Tue 21-May-19 11:13:50

Go for it. I've waited all my life to be where I live now. In the countryside with no neighbours and fantastic views over fields and hills.
Sounds like it was meant to be. Grab the chance.

PanamaPattie Tue 21-May-19 11:13:59

Go for a viewing. It might be a like a piece of shit and you'll be glad you've avoided it. It might of course be your dream house. Septic tanks and storage heaters are not the end of the world. I've got both and I live in a detached house with 4 beds and 3 reception rooms and I don't turn all the heaters on - unless it's snowing or sub zero as it's too warm with them all on. Ive also got an open fire. I love it in the winter.

Sorry I'm not helping.

Dodie66 Tue 21-May-19 11:14:06

Go for it. Inwokuld want to if I had always dreamt about having it

MzHz Tue 21-May-19 11:16:39

I live in the country on the edge of a village. It’s a big house and when we had the heating sorted out we had no boiler for a week during a bloody cold snap.

The log burners did the job to keep us warm. I’m not saying we were toasty, but it was doable, with planning to make sure you’ve got wood in and electric blankets, you’d be fine in the meantime. I’d say go for it if you can and in a short while you should be able to update the heating.

Is the lack of central heating reflected In the price?

MzHz Tue 21-May-19 11:18:10

Oh and another one saying don’t even lose a second’s sleep over septic tank, they are so much more reliable than they were and much more common - so any issues are resolved easily

BessieBumptiousness Tue 21-May-19 11:18:27

I'd do it. I don't think central heating is an issue, actually. Assuming that the property is old, it will likely have thick walls? In which case, the house will retain heat in winter and be cool in summer (our is). We have a 2 bed cottage (and a lot of land) like this with only a log burner and 2 storage heaters (currently renovating) and it's toasty warm. Expensive, yes, because of the storage heaters but you can make changes over the years if it's your dream home.

We are also rural. It's bloody perfect in summer and takes me back to my childhood dreams of country lanes and no cars, but come winter? The mud!! I'm unable to get from my car to the house without some part of me getting filthy; hands when closing the car doors because the car is permanently muddy; shoes, clothes.... you get the picture. It's a trek to the shops but a massive chest freezer has remedied that little issue.

But... I wouldn't swap it for anything. I love it. You can keep your modern executive homes on housing estates grin

Cresci12 Tue 21-May-19 11:18:36

Nope. I wouldn't do it because I did do it and it nearly cost me my marriage and I didn't get to enjoy my newborn because of all the added stress. Baby had awful reflux, I had awful PND. DH was hugely stressed by all the money worries and living so close to the wire. I would trade anything for giving you and your baby the best start possible. You can always find another house. You won't ever get that time back.

FFSFFSFFS Tue 21-May-19 11:20:45

Buy it!!!!!!!!

thegreatcrestednewt Tue 21-May-19 11:20:59

No way. Sometimes you have to be practical. And this is one of those times. If that house is meant for you, it will come up for sale again in 20 years...

Think about life with a dc where you have to drive everywhere. Not ideal. And the financial aspects would worry me too. And you've just spent years making your current house lovely!

ScruffGin Tue 21-May-19 11:20:59

Go and have a look at it, you may decide you don't want it.

I'm useless to you though, as we bought our dream house, needed a lot doing to it, way above our max budget, did get pregnant during the renovations and moved in 5 days before DD was born... DP spent paternity leave fixing the heating grin
Was definitely worth it though, we love it

IwantedtobeEmmaPeel Tue 21-May-19 11:21:08

Having a garden like a park won't make up for not having a garage, downstairs loo and central heating. How long would it take you to afford to install CH - is there even gas connected to the property?
You could always get your house valued and go from there. Oh and don't assume you will be paying the full price, in today's market and following a full survey, you might get it well below the asking price.
Are you prepared to put off having children while you save and get the house up to scratch and do you love gardening?

viques Tue 21-May-19 11:21:37

Lets get it straight , the house is no larger than your current one, is a poorer layout, has poorer facilities that need expensive updating, there is no need for you to move due to work or other commitments, the mortgage would stretch you to the limit (not to mention survey,solicitors, moving costs) and buying the house would put paid to your dreams of the family life you envisaged.

In fact the only things you say in its favour is that the garden is like a park (good luck with keeping that in order ) and there are no neighbours for miles. (Great news if you have an emergency, the car won't start and there's snow on the ground) . I think you need better reasons for buying it than these.

If houses in the area don't come up very often I'm willing to bet the present owners have done little to improve the house in the time they have owned it (storage heaters!!! Its 2019!) . Go to a viewing by all means , but use your head not your heart. It sounds as though it deserves to be bought by someone with the wherewithal to improve it, and at the moment that might not be you.

RainbowMe Tue 21-May-19 11:24:35

HollowTalk that's exactly what I said to my husband last night, it would be fulfilling one dream at the cost of another.

MzHz I'm not sure to be quite honest, it's so hard to put a price on it because there's nothing much to compare it to. I would say it's possibly not worth quite as much as the asking price, but then it is a "guide price".

I noticed the hob is electric and I'm wondering if there is no gas supply.

Cresci I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I hope things are better for you now. It is helpful to hear the other side, thank you for sharing flowers

madcatladyforever Tue 21-May-19 11:26:23

Don't do it, some dreams are just bloody stupid.
I dreamt of owning a house on the national park and doing it up over the last 10 years means I'm paying for it into retirement with no money for anything else and I'm pissed off I did it.
The joy of living here does not outweigh my financial problems and I'll have to sell up. I won't make the money back fully.
When your baby arrives you will understand how much more important it is to have time with him/her rather than bricks and mortar and who is going to mow and manage this massive amount of land?
I can see the horror unfolding and you will so regret not being a SAHM with huge childcare costs and no central heating. Trust me the excitement of the fabulous dream soon wears off. I can't wait to get rid of this place now I'm fed up to the back teeth of it.

BessieBumptiousness Tue 21-May-19 11:27:45

All that said, there have been times when I've said "what the hell have we done?". And I only have my DH and DDog to consider...

RainbowMe Tue 21-May-19 11:27:49

viques - thank you for your very realistic post smile
The only thing I would say is that cosmetically it looks perfect, the kitchen and bathroom are gorgeous. It does make the storage heaters stand out a bit.

userxx Tue 21-May-19 11:28:55

Adding £80k onto your mortgage for a house no bigger than your current one seems mad to me.

LeopardPrintKnickers Tue 21-May-19 11:30:00

Oh OP, go and look at it. Then you know what it is you're considering. At the moment, you like the photos and the location and if you decide not to go for it, you might torment yourself with 'what if' for years. Go and look and then make an informed decision, as you'll know if it feels right or not.

Go and look, and then report back!

HarryRug Tue 21-May-19 11:30:03

Go and look at it and if you still like it go for it. I had a newborn shortly after we moved into a wreck with no heating. We got plug in portable heaters and coped fine. We had to wash baby in a sink but it was all fine. I was then pregnant with DC2 when we demolished our house and rebuilt it from scratch. Although maternity leave was hard because we had builders in and the stress of the build it was manageable. We have our dream home. You will regret it if you do not so it. If you buy it and it’s all too much you can sell it and maybe lose some money. Not the end of the world. Slightly off topic but you have no idea whether you will want to be a SAHM as you haven’t yet spent hours with a screaming baby. I couldn’t get back to work fast enough with DC1. Go for it. Having your dream home is a wonderful experience.

handslikecowstits Tue 21-May-19 11:30:18

The biggest one is that it would add 80k into the mortgage. It would stretch us to the absolute limit of what we'd be allowed to borrow

This is the bit that jumps out at me and would concern me deeply. There's a saying that in RL, I trot out ad nauseum - man plans, god laughs and it's true. If something in your life goes wrong and you've mortgaged yourself to the hilt, you're fucked.

SirVixofVixHall Tue 21-May-19 11:31:42

Almost certainly no gas. You could have bottled gas though, that is an easy fit, if you want a gas hob.
The main thing is that being two miles from any near neighbour could be pretty stressful with a new baby, if you are home alone all day, or there is an emergency.
Otherwise I would say go for it.

Peanutbutterforever Tue 21-May-19 11:32:20

V likely to be no gas supply. Oil ch is v good but expensive. Regularly emptied septic tank should be no bother.

Parkland grass pretty but will need ride on mower.

I've just moved from a renovated version of your dream house because there were no bus route for my dd to use when she gets older.

StrongTea Tue 21-May-19 11:33:52

We have septic tank, no problems with it. We do not have central heating but storage heaters and log burner and survive. You could possibly run central heating from your existing log burner or could put a higher kw one in. We do not have mains gas, despite the fact the gas supply runs past our house we are not near a gas main. If you have storage heaters you should have economy7 or possible economy10 which means cheap rate during the night and normal rate daily. Ask the folk for an idea of their heating costs.

ElsieMc Tue 21-May-19 11:34:04

If you are young then go for it op. What is important is a viewing because houses have a feel about them and whilst it seems a fairytale now, it might not be in reality. I am at the other end of the scale from you and it is now time to let ours go.

We bought with all the problems you are mentioning, even hideous crittle windows. We have a septic tank and well things can go wrong and they do. Much better since dd's moved out who flushed facial wipes etc down the loo. You can't use bleach either. Your dh will just have to brace himself to "rod" it occasionally but it is very rare. Our super-lovely septic tank emptier generally tells me he had rodded it but it might need a bit more (bork). Remember, this costs as well about £150.

We also have oil c/h. Think of it as filling a car up price wise.

I would give anything not to have near neighbours and we live in a semi rural spot. Hope you make the right decision for you op, but I would say our house is for a couple in their thirties. It also has a large garden but you get used to it and dh mows it now in abut 30 mins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »