Talk

Advanced search

children in care

(86 Posts)
RomanyQueen1 Mon 20-May-19 22:57:26

Wtf are there unregulated homes for 16- 17 year olds, it's disgusting in this day and age.
They are at risk, vulnerable and dumped.
i had no idea and can't get over it. Why is this allowed?

nokidshere Wed 22-May-19 20:05:35

@gotosleepalready I slept on a friends sofa for a week, got a copy of "The Lady" magazine and found myself a live in Nanny job in London. I went back to the children's home and got them to buy me a train ticket. And never looked back.

gotosleepalready Wed 22-May-19 13:23:50

@nokidshere what did you do? sad

Hyrana Wed 22-May-19 10:26:21

Magenta82 Tue 21-May-19 08:59:14
This is what happens when people vote for a government with a policy of austerity.

I HRTFT and I will but Magenta said it for me. It sounds lovely and sensible, like we are all in it together and tightening our belts for the good of the country. But in reality people are dying after being told they are fit for work, killing themselves because they have no money or hope, disabled people have no care and are getting stuck in their homes and children are being left with no help or support.

Meanwhile there are tax benefits for party supporters.

BarnabasTheMaineCoon Wed 22-May-19 09:31:59

The lot of fostering is now contracted out, too, to private companies, who fuck the carers over, no support, so they resign.

NoBaggyPants Wed 22-May-19 09:16:34

Poverty in the UK is 'systematic' and 'tragic', says UN special rapporteur

This is what the government think of vulnerable people.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48354692

mrsed1987 Wed 22-May-19 09:09:08

Yp can stay with carers until 18, problem is, often the children have multiple difficulties and carers give notice, they then have different placements and end up in unregulated homes.

GrapefruitsAreNotTheOnlyFruit Wed 22-May-19 08:15:42

@Giggorata what you describe sounds much better.

However I still think the best solution would be for young people in care to stay with foster carers until at least 18. Tbh it would be better if there was funding for them to stay at least in holidays and recieve support until they were launched successfully, so college completed, settled in first job. That way they can get emotional support in a family environment.

Even if you don't care at all. Having all these young people who fail to achieve independence successfully in early adulthood through lack of support will be very costly in the long run.

Giggorata Wed 22-May-19 01:54:17

When our authority first started its Leaving Care team and services with the new legislation, in 2000, we had a Day Centre, some flats and bedsits, a team of 15 personal advisers working day and evenings, including some who ran the Supported Lodgings.
There was enough funding to pay rents, set up flats with furnishing and equipment, provide income payments for the under 18s to keep them off benefits, buy birthday and Christmas gifts, food parcels when they inevitably had cash issues, yearly clothing grants, interview clothing, college and uni grants, drop ins, meals, training, groups, incentives, etc.
We had a minimum standard for frequency of visits, but saw everyone a lot more often because they needed it. We employed some yp, too.

Nowadays, although I no longer work with care leavers, I see there have been so many cutbacks that most of these things have gone or been drastically reduced.
The team has been halved, they no longer work evenings, the Day Centre has gone, the yp have to bid for LA or Housing assoc properties which they can't sustain, so they get into arrears or disputes and get blacklisted, etc.
The setting up home grants are capped, there is more reliance on charities and the private sector re housing and support.
Yp at uni are expected to get loans and/or jobs, like anyone else. But they are not like anyone else, with parental support and reasonably stable backgrounds to go forward into a hard world.This is why so few care leavers get to uni, fewer still complete their courses.
The number of children in care, and therefore care leavers has increased and additionally each authority has a number of unaccompanied asylum seeking children and teens to care for, often arriving at short notice and traumatised.

But each local authority has been required to “save” millions of pounds every year.
This is a bullshit way of saying that the money to run services has been reduced year after year. This has been going on for at least ten years, and I have just heard that more “savings” are required over the next three years.

The principle behind the leaving care legislation was “would this be good enough for my child?”
It all seems a bit dismal now.
Sorry about the long post.... sad

HelenaDove Wed 22-May-19 00:30:55

I found this stressful as the housing association were telling me when I turned 18 they'd take me to court if there were arrears and at that point I had no way of paying. It was a vicious circle.

Not surprised to hear this at all. Its always gone on with a lot of HAs But the difference now is its not as hidden due to social media.

Brainfogmcfogface Tue 21-May-19 21:38:42

My nephew is in one (he refused to come to me as I live far away and he didn’t want to leave his mates no matter how much I begged him) and it breaks my heart.
It’s awful! He’s kicked out at 8:30 every morning and not allowed to return before 4, but has been told on occasion to not come back before 6. He’s 16. Thankfully he has a best mate who lets him go to his place whilst parents are at work and he stays there, but there is zero support or anyone helping him to improve his life and other then one cooking lesson he’s been left alone and he has no one caring for him. Sadly I can see him hardening to cope, when he was such a loving little boy.
I’m in daily contact and desperate to get him to come to me, he’s really troubled, had a very hard life but he’s my boy, and hopefully I’ll get through his thick skull that a quiet life up here away from London isn’t the hell he thinks it’s be.

ineedaknittedhat Tue 21-May-19 21:38:36

The govt are big on equality. They make the disabled, elderly, working class, sick, mentally ill and lone parents suffer, so why should children and teens be any different?

ineedaknittedhat Tue 21-May-19 21:37:01

The govt are big on equality. They make the disabled, elderly, working class, sick, mentally ill and lone parents suffer, so why should children and teens be any different?

Deadringer Tue 21-May-19 21:36:03

Can I ask if there is an option for children to stay in foster care after the age of 16? I am in Ireland and while our system is flawed and underfunded foster carers continue to receive payments for looked after children right through the college years if they remain with them. Sometimes the payment will be split between the carer and the child depending on circumstances, for example If the young person is living at college part of the week or whatever. Some children will choose to move on but the option is there.

Sugarplumfairy65 Tue 21-May-19 21:27:13

I grew up in care. When I turned 16 in 1981 I was turfed out into a bedsit the week after I left school. Social services supplied me with a set of bedding, 1 towel, I plate, bowl, cup, knife & fork & spoon, 1 small pan. It truly was horrific. Out of the 5 of us who left the home that summer, I'm the only one still alive. The others have all died either at their own hands of from drugs or alcohol. I started college in the September which is what saved me. I had one tutor in particular who really helped me.

Bisset Tue 21-May-19 20:49:37

This oh just foster if you think young people are being let down is quite flippant and unpleasant

So is virtue signalling on this topic...

F1zzB1zz Tue 21-May-19 19:44:32

Bisset that is ridiculous.

Children in care deserve the right people to care for them.Many people wouldn’t cut the mustard. Then you get people who don’t have spare rooms and have stressful full time jobs or stress in their lives.

This oh just foster if you think young people are being let down is quite flippant and unpleasant.

RomanyQueen1 Tue 21-May-19 19:25:24

I don't think the answer is foster care. It takes somebody special to be able to do this. It shouldn't be foster or anything else.
What obvious step? I'm too old to foster or adopt, and don't think I'm a good enough candidate tbh.

I just had absolutely no idea it was as bad as this. I'm going to look at volunteering somehow.
My sympathy to those on here who have gone through this, and the pp who said it was like this in the 70's and nothing has changed.

As a person born into the care system I thank my lucky stars I was adopted, this could so easily have been mine and lots more people's stories.

Underfunding is not a reason or excuse, it shouldn't exist. There is money to fund everything, we just have governments who don't think these kids are important and that's the disgusting part.

Bisset Tue 21-May-19 19:17:59

I don't think the answer is become a foster carer or do nothing, because I think there are other things we can do.

Of course it isn’t a choice between those two things.

But the OP (who I notice hasn’t returned) didn’t ask in a measured way ‘what can I do to make a small difference’?

The words “Wtf”, “disgusting in this day and age”, “dumped”, “i had no idea”, “can't get over it” were used, together with “Why is this allowed”?

Surely it’s not beyond the wit of man to realise that the reason this is ‘allowed’ is through lack of funding and lack of foster carers... and if you truly do feel so strongly about it, that you cant get over it, there is one really obvious, practical step you can take?

mrsed1987 Tue 21-May-19 16:59:21

Sorry hadnt finished. Everyone council has them. Some yp engage others dont. They have no obligation too

mrsed1987 Tue 21-May-19 16:58:03

@kate - they are called Personal Advisors. Look it up

CatCatDog Tue 21-May-19 16:08:53

@Processedpea I rented the box room in a family home until they moved, then house shared until I got a place with DP.

Snugglepumpkin Tue 21-May-19 13:58:29

Two of those kids were 14 by the way, they were not all over the age of 16.

Snugglepumpkin Tue 21-May-19 13:56:21

You want to know where all the money goes?
Private landlords & private 'care' companies.

I was pregnant & homeless about a decade ago & placed in to one of those homes for teenagers as I was too old to be placed with the younger pregnant mothers.

The council paid £270 a week to the company (per person, there were 5 of us in the house) which paid for the rent, utilities (no tv licence) and the 'staff'.

Staff being a bloke turned up for about 5 minutes every week or so & left a half a dozen value toilet rolls.

That was ALL the supervision/care provided.
I was there for over 6 months, often the guy dropped off the toilet roll when there was nobody in so he often didn't see any of his 'charges' for months at a time.
One of the girls they were paying for never actually even stayed there as she lived with her boyfriend somewhere else.

Each bedroom contained a bed with 1 set of cheap covers & 1 pillow.
Some bedrooms contained an old wardrobe.

That's it.
1 small fridge to be shared between 5 strangers, 1 broken oven & one washing machine that worked along with 1 knife, fork, spoon, cup & plate per person covered the kitchen facilities provided

Perhaps if the council hadn't had to pay over £1,000 a week for 5 people to have a roof over their heads when the same houses were rented out for less than £250 a week to normal tenants they would have more funds for actual care.

When I went into labour unexpectedly whilst visiting the hospital on crutches without so much as a spare pair of knickers, the 'staff' couldn't be arsed to travel the 3 miles to drop me off some clean clothes because it was the weekend so I spent 3 days in the hospital wearing my dirty amniotic fluid stained skirt I gave birth in as the hospital wouldn't let me get a cab home leaving my newborn in the hospital to get something clean to wear.
I literally had no one else to ask.

I regretted asking as they opened my window while in my room picking me up a change of clothes & I was then robbed so returned to find all my baby stuff had been stolen along with my laptop etc...

That's private care companies for you.

Every one of those kids had social workers or probation officers, not a one of them ever turned up at the property in the over 6 months I was placed there.
I suspect they were all too busy trying to do their work for a damn sight less money than the private landlords & private care companies who are bleeding the system for every penny it might have.

stucknoue Tue 21-May-19 13:28:18

It's not necessarily truly representative - until quite recently care finished at 16 and they were put into council housing or private flats! Dd has a couple of friends in hostels similar to those described and they are a half way house for independent living eg a caseworker lives in, they get skills lessons and yes it's inspected but not by ofsted as they are post school age. They can stay until 21 here

Processedpea Tue 21-May-19 13:12:55

Cat what did you do next?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »