Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that DS got outstanding SATS result but not good enough for his teacher?

(13 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Thu 19-Jul-07 22:30:12

Some of you will know that my DH and I are incredibly frustrated having a bright DS who won't apply himself at school. However, he's just pulled off fab SATs marks (level 8 in maths, level 7 in science) in Yr 9.
Got his report, which as expected contains lots of "not reaching potential"; "doesn't apply himself" etc comments in many subject. However, Maths teacher's comments have really annoyed me. "He has some ability in Maths"; "he did manage to achieve level 8 but the safety margin was rather small". Give the kid a break, I don't mind him getting a rollicking for attention and being distracted/distracting - but surely they should be able to say something good about (what I think) is a great result? Or does this just mean that my DS has wound this teacher up so much he can't bring himself to say anything nice?

Malfoynomore Thu 19-Jul-07 22:36:33

awww, that really must be frustrating for you and him....have you talked to the school about this?

ivykaty44 Thu 19-Jul-07 22:39:37

His maths teacher probably realises that your ds has more ability in maths than he himself does....

It does happen I had a b/f (maths wizz) who actually told the maths teacher in class that he had got the equation wrong on the blk board - the teacher docked a mark in his next exam for his hand writing and so he only got 99%

lazymoo Thu 19-Jul-07 22:39:38

Firstly, I didn't realise that sats went higher than level 7a.
I have to say, if I was you I to would be annoyed with your ds maths teacher. I agree even if your ds doesn't apply himself in the manner of which he could, their is no need to be so negative, maybe if he had more encouragement from his maths teacher he would 'try' harder, sometimes it is better to overwhelm a person with kind words and encouragement, it sounds to me if the teacher doesn't try hard enough to get through to your son. Please excuse me for comment on your post when I don't know much about your ds.

edam Thu 19-Jul-07 22:42:33

IME sometimes teachers get very frustrated with bright kids who seem to pay little attention, do less work, and still get brilliant results. Teachers are only human, after all!

Agree it's rather callous of the teacher to not say anything positive, though.

lilolilmanchester Thu 19-Jul-07 22:47:46

Can't get higher than level 7 in science at DS's school but they enter them for level 8 maths, lazymoo.
Agree, teachers are extremely frustrated with him - as are we - but kids "are only human after all" too and he gets enough stick from us and his teachers about not paying attention/working etc so I just think it's fair that they are positive when he gets it right.

Piffle Thu 19-Jul-07 22:49:31

ds is up for level 8 maths too he starts yr9 in sept. His teacher always says could do better....

Malfoynomore Thu 19-Jul-07 22:52:32

if your child is that gifted, why can't he go up a year? Maybe that would make him work harder because he would feel more challenged and not as bored?
Or is that not possible over here in the UK?

lilolilmanchester Thu 19-Jul-07 22:55:15

He's not gifted, and there are loads of kids as bright/brighter than him in the school. Most teachers have said that kids like him do tend to turn around in yr10. Fingers crossed, eh! Just think that like parents, praise should be given where due.

dayofftomorrow Fri 20-Jul-07 09:46:15

There is the other side of knowing how to study and learn rather than just knowing things which can still give good results up to gcse in a bright child, but there comes a point where you have to actively learn which the teacher is probably refering to.

didn't they do level 8/ep science or ep maths at the school (involves projects and things from christmas onwards) putting up a year is not possible at this stage as the gcse courses are run over two years but theoretically possible at an earlier stage (but schools will not do it)

IdrisTheDragon Fri 20-Jul-07 09:49:32

There's definitley level 8 as my mum marks SATS and there are quite a few who are entered for level 6-8 (and quite a few of them who shouldn't have been).

ShrinkingVenomousTentacular Fri 20-Jul-07 09:52:41

DD1's school has an accelerated Maths set doing GCSE in Year 10, which stretches the bright Maths students but keeps them in the same year group for everything else.
Top English set will be doing a crash course in GCSE Media studies in Year 10 as well.
It depends on the school though as to what they are able (and willing) to offer to the brightest students.

Piffle Fri 20-Jul-07 10:14:26

ds is in G+T he is starting yr 9 sept, at his school the extended set do a GCSE paper in stats in yr10 keeping them in line with peer group which apparently is desirable as leaping ahead in maths is hard for schools to manage
Having said that he is cruising still which suits him of course

Freaky as I can barely add 2+2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now