Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | Champions league ban at wedding

(1000 Posts)
User12038483 Sat 18-May-19 11:21:25

Were attending a wedding the day of the champion leagues final, now Liverpool have gotten to the final DH understandably wants to watch it. The majority of people attending are from Liverpool and the surrounding areas, my DH included. The couple getting married have now put out a notice saying that they have chosen not to screen the champions league, and they do not want anyone to ask for it to be put on, to leave and watch it or to be watching it on any devices and to please respect that this day is about them.

On one hand, I get it.. it's your wedding day. You want it to be about you. But DH and his brothers aren't willing to miss such a massive game and are now trying to work out a plan to be able to watch it and then return to the wedding after. It ended with DH and I having a bit of an argument because I think it's extremely rude to leave, watch the game and return. It's just been left with they will be watching and that's that, they think the bride and groom are being unreasonable to put a blanket ban on the whole thing and not just shove it on a tele in the bar. There's over 200 guests invited to the wedding.

Who's being unreasonable?

OP’s posts: |
NailsNeedDoing Sat 18-May-19 11:37:55

I'm not into football at all, but i can at least be open minded enough to realise that for some people, this is a really big deal. With that in mind, I think it's incredibly selfish of the bride and groom to put a total ban on the match. Why would you want your wedding to be about the day you make loads of your guests miss out on something important to them? They're fighting a losing battle anyway, people will still find a way to watch or listen, or they just won't come.

Much better for them to embrace it and accept that for a mere ninety minutes out of their day, some of their guests will, ban or not, be more interested in the football than they are in the wedding.

MummBraTheEverLeaking Sat 18-May-19 11:38:06

What Patricia said, considering lots of people are from there it will be hard to ban. I would be ticked off though, not sure what time it starts but say for example it was during the meal and speeches, and food I'd forked out for was not being eaten or speeches were interrupted with footie cheers, that would be shit.

TigerDroveAgain Sat 18-May-19 11:38:12

Pretty simple decision for me:I’d not be going to the wedding.

DizzySue Sat 18-May-19 11:38:11

Of course people shouldn't expect to go to a wedding and watch football! It's sad that the bride and groom had to say it but I guess they knew the type of guests they'd invited and they this might've an issue.

May I ask age group of football watchers at the wedding? Are they very young and not used to adulting yet?

XiCi Sat 18-May-19 11:38:48

I just wouldn't go to the wedding

If it were me I'd put a big screen up and let everyone enjoy the match. It's only 90 mins. Rather that than have most of the guests pissed off/secretly watching on phones /not turning up to the wedding

GreenStripyGrass Sat 18-May-19 11:38:59

Reaching a final runs deep. I think you're either going to get it or not.

FWIW, I'd expect them to suck it up and put the game on.

Nagsnovalballs Sat 18-May-19 11:39:00

Wedding as a once in a lifetime thing - until the divorce - well Liverpool reaching the final is pretty much once in a lifetime. It’s 90mins. If they had been clever about it, they’d have made it part of the day so it’s part of the celebration, especially as their guests are FROM Liverpool and the surrounding area.
If they were a bunch of Londoners then I’d totally side with the bride and groom.

However, a wedding of 200 means that this is about showing off and being a princess rather celebrating with your closest family and most important friends. And this is classic bridezilla behaviour.
I don’t care about football that much as im a rugby player and fan, but I love my friends and family for their passions and hobbies and respect their passions and hobbies too.

She could use that 90mins to go and have a special champagne reception with her bridal party and parents etc and have the best champers and caviar or whatever, plus a bit of r and r during a hectic day to just BE, and be with her husband. Or they could take time out to have some coffee and cake and chat to the oldies whom they haven’t had a chance to speak to yet.
Instead they/she’s going to alienate everyone and show that she doesn’t care about her friends at all but instead only cares about herself

DaisiesAreOurSilver Sat 18-May-19 11:39:08

I don't get the football worship at all. It's just a game. This is an important days in the lives of friends.

It would take a real cunt to spoil that for them.

If the football fans aren't grown up enough to do the decent thing they should not go at all.

myrtleWilson Sat 18-May-19 11:39:22

As others have said people (not just "the men") will be watching it on phones regardless so I'd embrace it and put it on (that said I'm a Liverpool fan so if I were the bride I'd be parking myself right in front of the tv grin )

Contraceptionismyfriend Sat 18-May-19 11:39:48

My husband is a massive LFC fan. They have waited for this. It is massive and means so much to them.
He would not attend over viewing the game.

Heratnumber7 Sat 18-May-19 11:39:55

My cousin showed a Welsh Six Nations match at her wedding. Made for a fab atmosphere particularly as we won.

She realised how unpopular she'd be if they didn't show it, and how empty the room would be with everyone down the pub.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 18-May-19 11:40:03

If I were getting married that would massively piss me off. However they didn’t have the foresight to book on a day without potential disruptions so in their situation I would suck it up.

They aren’t going to win this one. Your dh will just be one of several tbh so I wouldn’t try to prevent him.

hereiam19 Sat 18-May-19 11:40:04

I’m not a football fan but I think the bride and groom are being unreasonable I have been at loads of weddings were there has been football / Gaelic football on between the service and dinner there’s like 3 hours to kill why not let the game be showing? Always adds to the atmosphere too !

JacquesHammer Sat 18-May-19 11:40:21

It would take a real cunt to spoil that for them

I can’t fathom for a moment how it WOULD spoil the day.

That said, the message has a whiff of “look at me, look at me” about it.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sat 18-May-19 11:41:08

Anyone who would even consider leaving a wedding or trying to watch a football match on their phone whilst their is an immature child! They do not exist in the adult world if this is genuinely a priority for them on their friends wedding day.

Thertruthisoutwhere Sat 18-May-19 11:41:34

Rather embarassing for your DH to be so obsessed with a match over an event he is actually involved in. Glad my friends have higher standards!

JacquesHammer Sat 18-May-19 11:42:28

The superiority on this thread is absolutely hilarious grin

How fortunate we are to be in the presence of “adults” and “higher standards”

Arf grin

babbi Sat 18-May-19 11:42:36

To be honest I think they just have to accept the unforeseen “date clash” and embrace and make the most of it .
I’m the only girl in a family of lots of brothers and mostly male cousins (even the few female cousins and relatives are football mad ) ... I don’t care for football ⚽️ one joy !
However in the brides position I would show it on screens and have the best wedding 👰/ cup final bash ever .
Imagine if Liverpool won - the wedding would forever be remembered as the celebration day to beat them all 😀😀

SgtFredColon Sat 18-May-19 11:42:39

Surprised at the responses. I have zero interest in football or most sport and don’t like the way people get obsessed by it. BUT I can totally understand that people (especially liverpudlians) want to watch it and if it was my wedding I wouldn’t give a fuck if people decamped to the bar to watch it. What time is it on?

babysharkah Sat 18-May-19 11:43:38

I've been at a few weddings with people huddled around screens, much better to screen it and all get involved. I'm not into football but it IS a big deal. We've booked several events around 'just in case' dates.

herethereandeverywhere Sat 18-May-19 11:43:43

It kicks off at 8pm! What time does the wedding start? Surely it'll be over bar the cheesy disco by 8pm anyway?

GreenStripyGrass Sat 18-May-19 11:44:04

Does anyone remember the hilarious documentary about Celtic going to Seville?

There was a man on it who was supposed to be getting married that day, they'd cancelled because of the final grin

sunshinesupermum Sat 18-May-19 11:44:06

When the daughter of friends of ours got married it was on a World Cup date when England was playing. They had a screen up in the bar. Some people watched it and others didn't.

I can understand the bride and groom's pov but honestly, those who want to be celebrating the wedding will do so, those who want to slip away and watch Liverpool's most important match for a generation will slip away. I think it would have been better for the bride and groom to accommodate this, especially if so many of their guests are die-hard Liverpool fans. Heaven help the reception if Liverpool don't win :-(

Sakura7 Sat 18-May-19 11:44:25

The non football fans aren't understanding how huge this is for Liverpool and Spurs. I'm a massive Liverpool fan and there's no way I'd miss this game. It is pretty crap for the couple, but I agree with a PP that if they don't want people sneaking off, watching on phones, etc, they probably need to just suck it up and have it on a screen somewhere.

chipsandpeas Sat 18-May-19 11:44:34

Liverpool reaching the final is pretty much once in a lifetime

Reaching the champions league final for the 2nd time in 2 years isn’t once in a lifetime for Liverpool fans

This thread is not accepting new messages.