Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to refreeze frozen food again?!

(34 Posts)
KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:08:03

Posting here for traffic.

So my toddler decided to turn off the freezer switch that he miraculously reached and found behind the sofa (we are in an open plan living room!) I have only just realised because I went to get some dessert out. We got home about 5PM so I think it has been like that for about an hour?

It was all half frozen in the freezer. I've turned it up to max and hope it freezes again quickly. Do you think the meats (mince, chicken drumsticks and frozen chicken breasts, and also turkey and turkey drummers) will they all be OK or should I throw them away? Got other bits as well like Yorkshire puddings, dessert, chips, etc.

£30 worth of meat sad

dottiedodah Fri 17-May-19 09:48:27

If the meat has gone soft then yes throw it away.Fish and ice cream is not to be re frozen at all!.Are you sure it was only an hour?.Not worth the risk .Cook everything and eat in a couple of days .Bread and veg should be fine

KnittingForMittens Fri 17-May-19 09:22:06

Thank you all for replying. Sorry I came across silly and paranoid but the one thing I dread is food poisoning, especially my family. Thanks again thanks

wobblebot Thu 16-May-19 21:18:55

I know between taking food out of the freezer at the supermarket and putting it away at home takes around an hour maybe more, using that knowledge I would say turn it back on and move on with your life. You're not going to die 👌🏼

marcopront Thu 16-May-19 21:00:27

I've just got power back after three days of intermittent power. This is not however unusual for us. I'm not throwing anything away. We never open the freezer during a power cut and normally have meat in there. We've survived.

shatteredandstressed Thu 16-May-19 20:46:20

Turkey drummers - if they're soft, could put in fridge to fully defrost & cook/eat tomorrow.
Or chuck them.
Don't refreeze half thawed /soft meat /fish- it's not safe.

dementedpixie Thu 16-May-19 20:34:20

I wonder if it got switched off yesterday rather than today. Things wouldn't defrost that much in 1 hour

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 20:18:18

If something defrosted within an hour, you have bigger problems than losing some meat. You need new freezer, because that should NOT happen at all.
Pop the turkey drummers in a fridge. They will defrost slowly and you can cook them the day after if they really defrosted.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 20:16:05

The chicken was still rock hard when I checked so I left them, but the fish stuff was all mushy so I binned it (except salmon which I'm cooking now). The turkey drummers are soft though, do I bin them too?

gamerchick Thu 16-May-19 20:05:19

I turned both the fridge freezer and chest freezer off recently and didn't notice for 24 hours. The bottom 2 drawers in the fridge freezer were still frozen (top was toast) and the chest freezer was visibly defrosting when I lifted the lid. The only things that defrosted was the bread. hmm

I really doubt there would be any damage after an hour.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 20:00:14

Right I have thrown away fish products bar one, which is a salmon wellington and it cost me a fortune so I've put that in the oven now and will have to save it and have it tomorrow as I've already eaten dinner.

shatteredandstressed Thu 16-May-19 19:42:55

It's not the fact that it was switched off for an hour; it's the description of it being "half-frozen" ie significantly thawed out, and more importantly, fish.
That conjures up an image of being sick with food poisoning. It's a no from me.

IWantMyHatBack Thu 16-May-19 19:27:31

Frozen stuff stays completely frozen in my camping cool box for a 3 hour drive in summer. One hour switched off will be fine

WeCameToDance Thu 16-May-19 19:19:23

I'm fairly sure that most freezers are built to withstand a few hours of being turned off as long as the door remains closed. If it's a fancy freezer it can be around 24 hours. I would check your model of freezer to put your mind at rest.

shatteredandstressed Thu 16-May-19 19:17:06

Yes if it was half mushy and fish ( shellfish especially ) I wouldn't refreeze. Veg etc be fine but not fish 🤮

Redwinestillfine Thu 16-May-19 19:17:03

Feel everything. If it started going soft in places you will have to defrost it but no reason you can't cook it and then refreeze once it's cooled. No need to bin it.

CaravanHero Thu 16-May-19 19:16:53

am confused whether the food actually defrosted or not tbh

Me too.

The length of time really doesn’t matter op - but only you know the state of the food and you said it was ‘half frozen’.

Based on that, no you shouldn’t re-freeze it.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:16:49

*unless the freezer is from 1658

MumW Thu 16-May-19 19:16:35

As others have said, if it was only an hour then most things won't have defrosted, but I'd be checking the state of stuff.
Bread/cake/veg will be fine but, personally, I would completely defrost and cook any meat products that have started to thaw before refreezing.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:16:18

Unless it's from 1658 the stuff in freezer should not start defrosting within an hour.
Keep na eye on it to see if it was toddler or it's broken and it was a coincidence.

DerrenBrownings Thu 16-May-19 19:14:54

If it's a plug get one of these.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clippasafe-Double-Socket-Protector-Electric-Plug-Cover-Baby-Child-Safety-Box-/401123256368

CaravanHero Thu 16-May-19 19:14:44

If it was all half defrosted then it’s been off a good while longer than an hour! If it was half de-frosted, no I wouldn’t re-freeze.

DerrenBrownings Thu 16-May-19 19:13:49

It's fine no need to worry

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:13:22

I am confused whether the food actually defrosted or not tbh

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:13:18

It's quite an old freezer. I suppose newer ones are much better quality and more insulated than older ones.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:12:31

I'm probably being paranoid! It wasn't all completely melted. There is not even liquid on the floor so as you can tell, I am being daft.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »