Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to refreeze frozen food again?!

(34 Posts)
KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:08:03

Posting here for traffic.

So my toddler decided to turn off the freezer switch that he miraculously reached and found behind the sofa (we are in an open plan living room!) I have only just realised because I went to get some dessert out. We got home about 5PM so I think it has been like that for about an hour?

It was all half frozen in the freezer. I've turned it up to max and hope it freezes again quickly. Do you think the meats (mince, chicken drumsticks and frozen chicken breasts, and also turkey and turkey drummers) will they all be OK or should I throw them away? Got other bits as well like Yorkshire puddings, dessert, chips, etc.

£30 worth of meat sad

gamerchick Thu 16-May-19 20:05:19

I turned both the fridge freezer and chest freezer off recently and didn't notice for 24 hours. The bottom 2 drawers in the fridge freezer were still frozen (top was toast) and the chest freezer was visibly defrosting when I lifted the lid. The only things that defrosted was the bread. hmm

I really doubt there would be any damage after an hour.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 20:16:05

The chicken was still rock hard when I checked so I left them, but the fish stuff was all mushy so I binned it (except salmon which I'm cooking now). The turkey drummers are soft though, do I bin them too?

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 20:18:18

If something defrosted within an hour, you have bigger problems than losing some meat. You need new freezer, because that should NOT happen at all.
Pop the turkey drummers in a fridge. They will defrost slowly and you can cook them the day after if they really defrosted.

dementedpixie Thu 16-May-19 20:34:20

I wonder if it got switched off yesterday rather than today. Things wouldn't defrost that much in 1 hour

shatteredandstressed Thu 16-May-19 20:46:20

Turkey drummers - if they're soft, could put in fridge to fully defrost & cook/eat tomorrow.
Or chuck them.
Don't refreeze half thawed /soft meat /fish- it's not safe.

marcopront Thu 16-May-19 21:00:27

I've just got power back after three days of intermittent power. This is not however unusual for us. I'm not throwing anything away. We never open the freezer during a power cut and normally have meat in there. We've survived.

wobblebot Thu 16-May-19 21:18:55

I know between taking food out of the freezer at the supermarket and putting it away at home takes around an hour maybe more, using that knowledge I would say turn it back on and move on with your life. You're not going to die 👌🏼

KnittingForMittens Fri 17-May-19 09:22:06

Thank you all for replying. Sorry I came across silly and paranoid but the one thing I dread is food poisoning, especially my family. Thanks again thanks

dottiedodah Fri 17-May-19 09:48:27

If the meat has gone soft then yes throw it away.Fish and ice cream is not to be re frozen at all!.Are you sure it was only an hour?.Not worth the risk .Cook everything and eat in a couple of days .Bread and veg should be fine

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »