Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to refreeze frozen food again?!

(34 Posts)
KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:08:03

Posting here for traffic.

So my toddler decided to turn off the freezer switch that he miraculously reached and found behind the sofa (we are in an open plan living room!) I have only just realised because I went to get some dessert out. We got home about 5PM so I think it has been like that for about an hour?

It was all half frozen in the freezer. I've turned it up to max and hope it freezes again quickly. Do you think the meats (mince, chicken drumsticks and frozen chicken breasts, and also turkey and turkey drummers) will they all be OK or should I throw them away? Got other bits as well like Yorkshire puddings, dessert, chips, etc.

£30 worth of meat sad

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:09:57

If it gas been off only for an hour there is absolutely no issue as there is no way it would defrost even partially unless the door were open.

badlydrawnperson Thu 16-May-19 19:10:07

I know you're not supposed to thaw and refreeze meats. But I doubt it will have defrosted in 1 hour - most freezers are well insulated.

bridgetreilly Thu 16-May-19 19:10:29

In that situation, yes, they should be fine. Make sure you defrost properly and cook them thoroughly, though. I would try to do that quite soon, so you don't forget which things it is.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:11:03

I'm hoping so! I've got prawns, salmon and fish fillets in there as well! Will it all still be OK? I'm probably being daft but I don't want to get food poison for myself or my family lol.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:11:14

It should keep temperature off for 24+ hours

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Thu 16-May-19 19:11:22

Freezers are insulated to last for about 12 hours without power are they not?

An hour will be fine.

dementedpixie Thu 16-May-19 19:11:37

An hour is nothing especially with the door shut. Are you sure it wasnt longer if stuff had started to defrost?

Janek Thu 16-May-19 19:11:41

My freezer was once off overnight due to the power going off and it was ALL still frozen in the morning. I can't see how it would have been 'half-frozen' in the past two hours, so on that basis I'd say you'll be fine refreezing - freezers are really well insulated.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:12:31

I'm probably being paranoid! It wasn't all completely melted. There is not even liquid on the floor so as you can tell, I am being daft.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 19:13:18

It's quite an old freezer. I suppose newer ones are much better quality and more insulated than older ones.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:13:22

I am confused whether the food actually defrosted or not tbh

DerrenBrownings Thu 16-May-19 19:13:49

It's fine no need to worry

CaravanHero Thu 16-May-19 19:14:44

If it was all half defrosted then it’s been off a good while longer than an hour! If it was half de-frosted, no I wouldn’t re-freeze.

DerrenBrownings Thu 16-May-19 19:14:54

If it's a plug get one of these.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clippasafe-Double-Socket-Protector-Electric-Plug-Cover-Baby-Child-Safety-Box-/401123256368

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:16:18

Unless it's from 1658 the stuff in freezer should not start defrosting within an hour.
Keep na eye on it to see if it was toddler or it's broken and it was a coincidence.

MumW Thu 16-May-19 19:16:35

As others have said, if it was only an hour then most things won't have defrosted, but I'd be checking the state of stuff.
Bread/cake/veg will be fine but, personally, I would completely defrost and cook any meat products that have started to thaw before refreezing.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 19:16:49

*unless the freezer is from 1658

CaravanHero Thu 16-May-19 19:16:53

am confused whether the food actually defrosted or not tbh

Me too.

The length of time really doesn’t matter op - but only you know the state of the food and you said it was ‘half frozen’.

Based on that, no you shouldn’t re-freeze it.

Redwinestillfine Thu 16-May-19 19:17:03

Feel everything. If it started going soft in places you will have to defrost it but no reason you can't cook it and then refreeze once it's cooled. No need to bin it.

shatteredandstressed Thu 16-May-19 19:17:06

Yes if it was half mushy and fish ( shellfish especially ) I wouldn't refreeze. Veg etc be fine but not fish 🤮

WeCameToDance Thu 16-May-19 19:19:23

I'm fairly sure that most freezers are built to withstand a few hours of being turned off as long as the door remains closed. If it's a fancy freezer it can be around 24 hours. I would check your model of freezer to put your mind at rest.

IWantMyHatBack Thu 16-May-19 19:27:31

Frozen stuff stays completely frozen in my camping cool box for a 3 hour drive in summer. One hour switched off will be fine

shatteredandstressed Thu 16-May-19 19:42:55

It's not the fact that it was switched off for an hour; it's the description of it being "half-frozen" ie significantly thawed out, and more importantly, fish.
That conjures up an image of being sick with food poisoning. It's a no from me.

KnittingForMittens Thu 16-May-19 20:00:14

Right I have thrown away fish products bar one, which is a salmon wellington and it cost me a fortune so I've put that in the oven now and will have to save it and have it tomorrow as I've already eaten dinner.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »