Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to report abuse of police power?

(106 Posts)
SnipSnapSnip Thu 16-May-19 17:53:09

Without going into too much detail as it may be outing I was harassed by a uniformed police officer on the street and then he followed me into my place of work. This went on for an hour and forty minutes.

For the record I have committed no crime whatsoever, he just was just on some sort of dictatorship. I suspect it was possibly my religion or the fact I’m a young woman that wouldn’t give in to his bullying behaviour.

Obviously I haven’t been charged with any crime, as I didn’t commit any, so apart from the embarrassment & fear I’m no worse off in the long run. Should I leave it & rise above it? Or report it and risk being targeted again?

Meangirls36 Fri 17-May-19 10:25:21

The police are really bad. Was told not to go to refuge after some really bad domestic abuse because my house was nicer.

Oblomov19 Fri 17-May-19 10:00:04

Reported

CurtainsOpen Fri 17-May-19 09:13:30

Reporting for bullshit

HopefullyAnonymous Fri 17-May-19 01:29:01

Where did I say that?

CloudyForest Fri 17-May-19 01:24:41

So you think police should be allowed to do as they please without scrutiny or criticism @HopefullyAnonymous ?

HopefullyAnonymous Fri 17-May-19 01:20:51

We don’t ask to be deified. It’s a difficult job carried out under difficult circumstances with impossible pressures placed on us. I just find some of the comments on threads like these thoroughly disheartening.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Fri 17-May-19 01:20:27

This whole post is designed to get posters annoyed though isn't it. Drip feed a tiny bit, accuse the police of wrongdoing (no way would they know your employers address from your vehicle registation unless it was a work vehicle and not yours) AND be your one and only ever post. Yawn.

CloudyForest Fri 17-May-19 01:12:18

I don't see why police should be deified @HopefullyAnonymous. They are not perfect and deserve to be called out for their power-hungry behaviour when it happens.

HopefullyAnonymous Fri 17-May-19 01:10:44

Another police bashing thread. How lovely. It’s nice to be appreciated 🙄

CloudyForest Fri 17-May-19 00:37:06

Quite a lot of police are little Hitlers IMO- constantly moaning about budget cuts, yet they still seem to have time to deal with trivial non-events like this and run their money making entrapment scheme to fine people for driving at 33mph in 30mph zones.

You've got to treat them like you would door-to-door salesmen IMO. Don't engage and don't answer any of their questions unless you're in the presence of a solicitor.

Bezalelle Thu 16-May-19 23:50:25

Report.

NC4Now Thu 16-May-19 23:50:21

It’s not disbelief, it’s trying to work out what happened from very limited information.

There will be people here with all sorts of knowledge and experience, which is presumably why OP asked for advice.

The straightforward answer is, ‘if you think you were the victim of racially aggravated harassment, then you need to report it.’

But most people would want to know what had happened before they made a decision on reporting it, and that’s what isn’t clear.

00100001 Thu 16-May-19 23:25:12

<files away under TTDNH>

Binglebong Thu 16-May-19 21:42:02

OP, I know you said you're not going to reply but in case you are still reading...

From what you have said he was massively out of order and you should report. I'm sorry this has happened to you.

However you have also said that you are not in England (I'm going to assume not uk). If I were you I would assess whether to report it based on the local situation. While in the UK you certainly get some problems, the majority of the police are good and would try to help and not cover up. That is not necessarily the same elsewhere. Some places, like America where in parts each town has it's own local police force, can be massively variable. Some places police are a law unto themselves. And some they are good people who would be disgusted at this officer's actions. Ultimately you need local knowledge to judge if it would be a good idea to report or if it would draw attention to yourself in a potentially negative or even dangerous way.

Whatever you decide I hope this hasn't rattled you too much and wish you luck if you pursue it.

magoria Thu 16-May-19 21:35:00

Do people really just 'walk on' when police are talking to them?

crispysausagerolls Thu 16-May-19 21:21:31

Maybe he was real life thread police sensing you were a troll.

this made me snort omg

Pengrin Thu 16-May-19 21:19:42

Maybe he was real life thread police sensing you were a troll.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 16-May-19 21:16:59

Details do make a difference. If this was in Tel Aviv and the OP was Muslim then we’d all say ‘run for the hills’.

Reasonstobeearful Thu 16-May-19 21:16:25

It's almost as though you could post on the internet from anywhere in the world.

You can't, of course. That's all a lie.

UnicornBrexit Thu 16-May-19 21:15:13

I don't understand why people do this. Post on a British board, give no details, get advice pertaining to UK laws, then announce they don't live in the UK. It's an absolutely utterly pointless exercise.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 16-May-19 21:09:28

Bloody hell are we playing bingo or something?

The OP posted a skeleton of events. It sounded odd to the average reader and their life.

Here’s my story:
My aunt got picked on by a man in uniform for a ‘crime’.

He was harassing her in the street.

It was a religion thing.

She was pretty scared.

It was for a public indecency offence.

She wasn’t naked or flashing her boobs.

She want drunk or being sweary or abusive.

Should she report him?

Should she have taken his badge and called her lawyer?

Oh I didn’t mention - she (obviously) is a woman and her headscarf had slipped.

Oh, it was in Iran and she is a citizen there.

So no, don’t report the little shit because you won’t be listened to and most likely punished. Say yes sir, sorry it won’t happen again.

Bunnyfuller Thu 16-May-19 21:04:01

You’ll be lucky to find a cop in the uk who has that amount of time to do real work!

Would be interesting to hear where you are op, that won’t out you?

Reasonstobeearful Thu 16-May-19 21:01:35

Anyway OP sorry I didn't realise you weren't in the UK. The answer to your question depends on what would happen as a result in the country you're in. Morally of course you always should. In practical terms, less clear cut. In some countries this would be a very dangerous thing to do. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Reasonstobeearful Thu 16-May-19 20:58:25

@ironmanisnotdead oink oink.

Home2018 Thu 16-May-19 20:55:47

Most of thread has been posters holding on to little snippets of information to 'prove' the op is making this up, or to find explanations as to why he acted the way he did.

There has literally been one or two posters that have focused on the question the OP asked.

Should she report?
Who can honestly say, with the information that she provided, she shouldn't?

Why you're invested in protecting the notion that police, or your society, or you can't be racist, but others can?

Naive at best, stupid at worst.

Definitely white privilege at its finest!

This thread is full of those that are clearly very backwards on this topic OP. Please do not take any of these posts to heart. They are not qualifiable opinions.

Trust yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »