Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to report abuse of police power?

(106 Posts)
SnipSnapSnip Thu 16-May-19 17:53:09

Without going into too much detail as it may be outing I was harassed by a uniformed police officer on the street and then he followed me into my place of work. This went on for an hour and forty minutes.

For the record I have committed no crime whatsoever, he just was just on some sort of dictatorship. I suspect it was possibly my religion or the fact I’m a young woman that wouldn’t give in to his bullying behaviour.

Obviously I haven’t been charged with any crime, as I didn’t commit any, so apart from the embarrassment & fear I’m no worse off in the long run. Should I leave it & rise above it? Or report it and risk being targeted again?

funnylittlefloozie Thu 16-May-19 18:25:49

Was this "police officer" in actual police uniform, or did he just tell you he was a police officer? Did you get his collar number? What did the other people in your workplace do?

I think this absolutely merits a call to 101.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Thu 16-May-19 18:39:01

Rubbish! Sorry this just isn’t true.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Thu 16-May-19 18:41:04

No I don't believe its true either.

And how did he know your religion

funnylittlefloozie Thu 16-May-19 18:44:24

I would assume that the OP is a hijabi, or possibly a nun, hence the "policeman" being aware of her religion.

The rest of it sounds peculiar in the extreme. I dont know ANY coppers who have 1h 40m to mess about with such a non-event.

mbosnz Thu 16-May-19 18:44:32

Well, if a woman is wearing hijab, couldn't that be a fairly identifying factor as to what religion she is?

Coulddowithanap Thu 16-May-19 18:44:52

Sounds like there is more to this..

AndOutComeTheBoobs Thu 16-May-19 18:47:22

He called you?

How?

Scrumptiousbears Thu 16-May-19 18:48:18

I agree this all sounds very odd.

ReanimatedSGB Thu 16-May-19 18:49:02

It's not at all unheard of for individual police officers to be petty, racist, sexist bullies. If you have his number or other identifying details, OP, I would suggest complaining.

WorraLiberty Thu 16-May-19 18:51:34

He followed you into your work and then phoned you for 1 hour and 40 minutes?

Or have I read that wrong?

PlatypusPie Thu 16-May-19 18:53:16

A policeman decides to pick on you because you parked on private land, amongst many others who were not targetted , harasses you about it for 1 hour and forty minutes ( ?!) , gets your phone number from thin air and then follows you into work and continue to harass you , presumably in front of witnesses. And you have done nothing except the civil trespass ( which he is somehow monitoring without any input or complaint from the owner - not a police matter anyway ) .

Either you have left a huge amount out or this is a fabrication.

Reasonstobeearful Thu 16-May-19 18:54:36

Complain. He sounds like a twat. Most of them are tbf.

Fiveredbricks Thu 16-May-19 18:54:47

Things that didn't happen #2356

OP either you're really being vague or this didn't happen. The police cant even get those details like place of work, from your reg.

Why even make this up?

Batshittery Thu 16-May-19 18:56:01

It is not unheard of for some police to petty etc, however, police do not have anything to do with private car parks. It would be a civil matter. Nor do the police get your phone number or work details from a registration number. Why was he ringing you OP if he was with you?

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 16-May-19 18:58:07

Place of work from car reg? I don’t think so.

Lellochip Thu 16-May-19 18:58:20

The police must have some way of getting a phone number from a number plate, I had them call me on my mobile when someone broke into my car. Presume reg was all they had to track me down?

ASauvignonADay Thu 16-May-19 18:59:17

Surely the police are too busy picking up actual crime and things that have been reported? I'm not sure I believe it either, or feel there are huge chunks missing.

Nicknacky Thu 16-May-19 19:00:38

You can’t track down phone numbers from number plates. You can obviously check other systems with the persons name and if they have been in contact with the police previously then it may be recorded.

But not against a registration plate.

DGRossetti Thu 16-May-19 19:01:17

Surely the police are too busy picking up actual crime and things that have been reported?

Not according to HarryTheOwl ...

Absolutepowercorrupts Thu 16-May-19 19:02:14

SteveTheSpiderPlant Thu 16-May-19 19:02:43

Fairly sure the DVLA have no record of my employer.

YourSarcasmIsDripping Thu 16-May-19 19:04:44

Can it happen? Yes,police officers(fire fighters, doctors, accountants etc) can be dicks just like any other people.
Did it happen? No idea.

As for religion, some of them have specific dress codes that make their followers easily identifiable,particularly the women.

If it happened exactly as you say OP then you have every right to complain and you should do so.

Callistone Thu 16-May-19 19:06:55

They can't get your phone number and work place from the DVLA

SnipSnapSnip Thu 16-May-19 19:07:06

Thanks to all those who genuinely replied instead of accusing me of being a liar ....I think I was lacking confidence to report but I will. Thank you.

....yes I am realise I’m being vague in case of being recognised but that was the “issue”. Parking in a private car park. I don’t live in England

Buster72 Thu 16-May-19 19:07:52

Definitely a police man 100%.

Pretty much I walked on, he then started phoning me & then appeared in my work. He was able to get all details from my registration.

Well you do have grounds to complain.....if it happened like you said....just remember to include the details you left out

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »