Talk

Advanced search

(light-hearted) inspired by another thread .. do you like your given name?

(241 Posts)
rabbitheadlights Thu 16-May-19 17:39:47

Does it cause you any problems?
If you could pick a name what would it be?

Treaclepie19 Sat 18-May-19 06:06:12

@Justkeeprollingalong ohh good try! Nope, begins with a K.

TroysMammy Sat 18-May-19 08:35:06

vampirethriller please say they didn't name you Fifi.

feistymumma Sat 18-May-19 09:18:22

Nope, definitely not a fan of my name - Winnie smile. I am always asked if it's short for Winnifred, Winnet and don't get me started on hi Winn are we winning aaarrrgghh!

feistymumma Sat 18-May-19 09:21:09

Eleanor is a lovely name

Mammyloveswine Sat 18-May-19 09:39:52

Mine is a proper old fashioned style name but not in a trendy way... i dont love it..

Think "Pauline"... im in my late twenties.. but it is what it is!

Apparently i was going to be called Tammy... which i like but cannot imagine being called!

vampirethriller Sat 18-May-19 10:05:27

No but we had a cat called Fifi!

rabbitheadlights Sat 18-May-19 19:49:02

@feistymumma .... I love Winnie I wanted to call my daughter Winnie but dp said no ... I use it as a nick name now tho more people use it than her actual name ... Hallé

TillyTheTiger Sat 18-May-19 20:22:51

I love mine - it's pretty, timeless, simple, only one spelling and pronunciation so I never have to spell it. I used to hate my surname but fortunately DH has a gorgeous quite posh sounding surname so I took that.

Number3or4 Sat 18-May-19 20:24:37

It's very nice and as far as I can remember I have always loved it.

PlainVanilla Sat 18-May-19 20:36:13

I love my name, although I am slightly jealous that my younger siblings each have 3 names and I only have two.

Threeandabit Sat 18-May-19 22:05:47

I like mine. It is very similar to another name that was popular for girls of my age. It would often get misheard as the popular name when I was growing up. I think my less popular name is far prettier though. smile And it's aged better.

feistymumma Sat 18-May-19 23:43:40

@rabbitheadlights thank you

PaddingtonMare Sat 18-May-19 23:51:02

@maudebegone I’m the same, but a plastic paddy so can’t pronounce less well known Irish names as people expect me to @EmeraldShamrock - I bet that was a right giggle. I find Gaelic names quite an ice breaker.

Nutkin123 Sat 18-May-19 23:53:36

I really like mine now (Hazel) - growing up no one had my name and I wanted to be a Phoebe or a Sophia. I love it now! A girl at work tried to tell me it was "common" the other day and it irrationally pissed me off. I've only ever met one other Hazel but about 10,000 what her name is (not bitter at all 😂)

CremeEggThief Sat 18-May-19 23:55:42

Yes, I love it and feel very lucky to have it. It has become very popular in this century, but was unusual when I was born.

Bluesheep8 Sun 19-May-19 07:36:38

I'm not especially fond of mine and very few people call me by it. Just one of my parents (I have 4 parents as both re married when I was a child) plus people at new workplaces until I tell them to shorten it. I'm known by the shortened version.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »