Talk

Advanced search

(light-hearted) inspired by another thread .. do you like your given name?

(241 Posts)
rabbitheadlights Thu 16-May-19 17:39:47

Does it cause you any problems?
If you could pick a name what would it be?

Charley34 Thu 16-May-19 17:47:22

I love my name wouldn't change it either x

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Thu 16-May-19 18:01:00

I don't mind my name - but it was the most popular girl's name for several years, so I've never worked/studied anywhere without being alongside several others with the same name (there were SEVEN of us in my class at Junior School shock ) which does get a bit wearing.
Having said that, at least everyone knows how it's spelt...!

GillBiggeloesHair Thu 16-May-19 18:05:24

No I hate it. I don't know what my parents were thinking of.
It's a traditional name, nothing too out there.

Worse, the first letter is the same as that of my surname and I hated that too. So I was TT, for example.

If I hadn't got a fab new surname through marriage I would have changed my first name for sure.

Honestly, parents should think hard before they saddle their child with this kind of shite.

I'm not bitter, much....

FucksBizz Thu 16-May-19 18:06:56

My name is Daisy. Which is unusual in my age group. I love it.

Rainbowknickers Thu 16-May-19 18:11:30

I like mine-as in I would have called my child it if it wasn’t my name but I don’t think it suits me as a person-and my middle name is awful

MyNameIsArthur Thu 16-May-19 18:12:24

My name was old fashioned when I grew up in the 70s and 80s. It was hard going at times.

Summerorjustmaybe Thu 16-May-19 18:14:03

I don't know another of my name. Dh never uses it and dc think it's odd. So do their friends....
Would feel odd changing it at 47!!

UCOinanOCG Thu 16-May-19 18:17:15

I have a very common 60s name but I don't mind it actually. I used to hate my middle name but weirdly it is now a really popular name. It always seemed very old fashioned to me.

flowersinthebedroom Thu 16-May-19 18:18:10

I dislike mine, it's a very 60s / 70s name like Tracey or Sharon.

rabbitheadlights Thu 16-May-19 18:18:44

Mine is just plain ... Rebecca ... I often wished for something more exotic as a kid but actually, there's no confusion re spelling or pronunciation etc .. so I suppose not so bad

Houseonahill Thu 16-May-19 18:19:06

Not especially, there is nothing wrong with the name I just don't think it suits me, I wouldn't change it though it's my name and it would be weird to suddenly be something else and I think my mum would be sad if I did.

FoxFoxSierra Thu 16-May-19 18:19:44

I hate mine, it's not too out there but it's very 80s. I go by a shortened version, not many people know my actual name

sonlypuppyfat Thu 16-May-19 18:20:14

My name is very old testament but apparently people love to shorten it and then add an ie to the end angry

70sWitch Thu 16-May-19 18:21:34

No. Never liked it. It's not ugly or outrageous, I just don't like it.

Bigearringsbigsmile Thu 16-May-19 18:23:26

i've got used to it.
i hated it when i was younger.

it's quite unusual-i've only ever met one or two other people called it which on mumsnet seems to be an ideal to aim for.
However it meant that EVERYONE knew who i was -do something embarrassing at school? everyone knows it's you.
people always comment on it.
kids at school teased me about it.
men have used it as a springboard for cheesey chat up lines.
It's a virtue name so people will always comment on that virtue.

There are no pencils with my name on.

I made sure my kids had names that other children have and i never understand the need to give kids names that nobody else has.

I'd have given anything to be a joanne or a sarah or an emma[showing my age there!]

Bwekfusth Thu 16-May-19 18:24:05

I hate my full name but like it shortened. My mum also chose the most awkward way to spell it and it's quite long so learning to write it was a challenge. nobody ever, ever spells it correctly. And the people that consistently pronounce it incorrectly do my tits in.

PillowTalker Thu 16-May-19 18:24:11

Mine is Sadie, quite like it and not common for my age (39) though on more than one occasion I've been told by people that they have/had a dog called Sadie

TroysMammy Thu 16-May-19 18:24:15

I hated mine growing up as the first 3 letters can be used as an insult. As an adult I like the fact it isn't that common. I'm a GP Receptionist and know of at least 5 ladies older than myself (51) with the same name.

isabellerossignol Thu 16-May-19 18:25:59

I like my name. Hated it as a teenager because it wasn't fashionable. Now thank my lucky stars that I don't have one of the names that I thought was 'cool' when I was 14.

UCOinanOCG Thu 16-May-19 18:26:48

My dog is called Sadie! It's an ace name for a person or a dog.

WonderTweek Thu 16-May-19 18:27:09

Mine is a colour (not in English though) and I like it. It's a bit of an 80s name though and I wasn't massively keen on it when I was growing up, but it's really grown on me. smile

YouWinAgain Thu 16-May-19 18:29:36

I don't love it but don't hate it either. It's just a name.

CupOhTea Thu 16-May-19 18:31:55

I love mine. It's very similar to yours op!

MaudebeGonne Thu 16-May-19 18:32:08

I have a traditional Irish name. So it is well known in Ireland but not massively common, and has never been fashionable. No one in the UK can ever pronounce it. I lived there for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the amount of people who said it properly.

So yes, I do like it, but that is only because I am a contrarian and I don't mind people mispronouncing it.

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Thu 16-May-19 18:33:29

mine is very 60s, and no one seems to be able to spell it...oh dear lord the spellings and even the shortenings

I always wanted to be called Georgina, , a fair amount of influence from The Famous Five there, and that song Hey There Georgie-Girl.

Historicallycorrect Thu 16-May-19 18:38:12

I like mine. It's Julie. It's not too uncommon or too common. It means 'youthful' and I think it suits me.

I do get called Jule/Jool, Ju/Jew and Julia too.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 16-May-19 18:38:22

I like my name, it wasn't very popular growing it, but it was handy it can break up into 3 names, a teen one, mature one, friendly way.
MaudebeGonne
I remember working on a switch, calls from U.K. customers, trying to pronouns Irish names Niamh, Aoife, Aiobheann, a real mouthful, rarely correct but very funny. grin

nrpmum Thu 16-May-19 18:39:24

I like a very short version of my name instead of the medium short version* Not keen on full name, only use it when I'm pissed off 😂

*Think Tom instead of Tommy

PillowTalker Thu 16-May-19 18:40:41

UCOinanOCG

😂

happybunny007 Thu 16-May-19 18:41:01

Yep. It’s sophisticated and unusual but not so much as to be weird.

Mrsemcgregor Thu 16-May-19 18:41:23

I’m an Emma. I’ve never been particularly fond of my name, but I do like that it’s kind of timeless. There have been Emma’s since the beginning of time I think!

MumW Thu 16-May-19 18:42:13

I'm happy with my name although it has fallen out of use and is rapidly becoming an old person's name as am I 😄

CurbsideProphet Thu 16-May-19 18:42:35

@sonlypuppyfat I feel your pain! No need to add the ie at the end!

optimisticpessimist01 Thu 16-May-19 18:44:15

My name is Amber and I like it! Not too many people my age with the name, and slightly unusual but not too far "out there"

I was nearly called Skye so definitely ended with the better option!

Gigglinghysterically Thu 16-May-19 18:49:40

@EmeraldShamrock

"I like my name. It wasn't very popular growing it"
You grew your name? Was it from a seed or a bulb? grin

DareIAdmit Thu 16-May-19 18:50:46

Mines a bit old fashioned, the only people I know with it are a good 20 or so years older than me. I don't love it but I have a couple of nickname options which I appreciate, particularly as my middle name is even worse. I wouldn't change it but only because I'm not sure what I'd change it to and the effort of changing everything. My sisters both hate their names, one goes by her middle name now. I got bullied about my name and using a nickname but it wasn't the name it was just another thing they could hold against me. I did find it ironic that the 3 boys who hassled me about using a nickname all used one themselves, self-reflection obviously wasn't one of their strong points. But bullies will bully for any reason they can think of, it's rarely about the actual name itself.

Rarfy Thu 16-May-19 18:52:18

I hated mine when younger - it was so different and it's spelt wrong to boot. Was glad to be different as I got older.

Marlena1 Thu 16-May-19 18:54:00

I don't mind mine but someone said they hated it on a baby name thread!! I like Rebecca a lot though

HBStowe Thu 16-May-19 18:54:07

I love it. It’s traditional but quite unusual, so while it doesn’t raise any eyebrows I have rarely met another. I like the sound of it, and all the shortened versions of it (though I don’t generally go by any of these). I also think the sound of it is pretty.

cricketballs3 Thu 16-May-19 19:02:43

Love mine, slightly unusual but not 'to out there' hate my middle name though (and for some reason I'm the only one of 3 of us with a middle name)

ElsieMc Thu 16-May-19 19:03:07

No, don't like mine. It is a very common sixties name but my parents' other choices were Susan or Wendy. Sorry Wendys (and the connotations on here) but I don't feel like one. I come from a time when it was Carol, Susan, my name and Karen, Sharon. Gaye was also a girls' name back then. How times do change.

EC22 Thu 16-May-19 19:05:50

So much so my daughter has it as a middle name.

cranstonmanor Thu 16-May-19 19:06:12

I love it. It's a pretty name but has never been overly popular one decade or the other but still used enough. The only downside is that it can be written in two ways. Oh, and English people always mispronounce it so I call myself something else when abroad.

MyNameIsArthur Thu 16-May-19 19:11:11

Rebecca and Daisy are lovely names

LadyOfTheCanyon Thu 16-May-19 19:12:25

Mine is a Scottish name : quite common in Scotland but in London in 1970 there were none. It's subsequently become popular in England but there are very few English people my age with my name.

And then everyone spells it wrong anyway because of that fucking Allsopp woman.

And everyone shortens it. Which sounds ugly.
Apart from that, I love it. grin

Windmyonlyfriend Thu 16-May-19 19:12:32

I didn’t particularly like mine growing up but that was entirely because it can’t be shortened and I was so jealous of people who could shorten their names!

I don’t mind it now though.

aLilNonnyMouse Thu 16-May-19 19:17:05

I hated mine so much I changed it by deed poll to my nickname.

North West England girl with a (then) unpopular Welsh name that no one could ever pronounce or spell. My own father would spell it wrong on my birthday/xmas cards. Every time I introduced myself people would repeat it back wrong to me several times, and it really didn't flow with my middle and last names.

Love my new name and everyone has adjusted fairly well to using it.

skimask Thu 16-May-19 19:18:32

My name is Tayla and my fiancée's last name is Taylor.. I liked my name until then. I know I don't have to change my last name but I really want her last name, I'm a traditionalist!!

EastMidsGPs Thu 16-May-19 19:18:34

Nope, do not like my name at all. When I was born there were none around, it was distinctive, always commented on and asked how it was spelt. I longed to be Jane.
I shortened it as soon as I was able and think this shorter version suits my personality better. Oddly DH has always used my given name and not the shorter version. However, over the years he has taken to calling me Cariad instead so he is forgiven.

LeopardPrintKnickers Thu 16-May-19 19:19:26

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I was the only one with my name in all of my schools and I liked not being one of 10 Sarahs or Emmas in a class. I've met a fair few more people with my name since, but no-one's is spelt like mine as I I have an egotistical father who wanted me to have the feminine version of his name. To my friends, I never use my full name but a shortened version. In fact, I think the only time my husband's used my full name was during our wedding, but I like being able to use it for work. I now have the same initial for my surname which I love.

notfromworcester Thu 16-May-19 19:19:24

I'm christened Katherine but always been Katie. I quite like it. It's pretty timeless. No real class association.
Boyfriends have always liked it too, for some reason smile

BiBiBirdie Thu 16-May-19 19:20:47

Nope.
It's so meh. So common.
I wanted to be called Aimee. Or Natasha. Or Jackie.
I can't even shorten mine.

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Thu 16-May-19 19:20:48

My name is so boring and very of it's time (80s) but I don't know what I'd change it to..

notfromworcester Thu 16-May-19 19:20:53

@skimask my friend Andrew is engaged to a guy with the surname Andrew.. same problem! grin

whitehalleve Thu 16-May-19 19:21:40

I love mine and I'd pick it for myself.

Hiddenaspie1973 Thu 16-May-19 19:22:05

I love my name.

KipperTheFrog Thu 16-May-19 19:23:14

I dont like mine, never have. Went by a shortened version as a teen, but didn't even like that.
I'd change it if I could be bothered, but I dont know what to change it to. I'd also seriously offend my mum if I changed it, she loves my name! Had loved it from when she was a child and had to talk my dad into giving it to me. Mind you, dads choice was even worse!

MaximusHeadroom Thu 16-May-19 19:23:45

Love my first name. Middle name not so much. What I hated was that first, middle and last name were all 2 syllables and sounded really dreary.

Then I met DH and if I say so myself, I now have the coolest last name in the world which makes me sound like a rockstar (or supervillain grin )

ifigoup Thu 16-May-19 19:24:46

I didn’t like it when I was young because I thought it was too long and old-fashioned. It’s a name that lots of people use short versions of but not many use the long name (think Josephine/Jo).

Now I really like it, and I like that it’s unusual but not unheard of (the holy grail of names!)

SunshineCake Thu 16-May-19 19:28:06

I like my first name, don't like my middle name due to someone I know also having it for their middle name who was a bully along with her sisters and I can't think of anything else I'd rather be called. I wish I knew why I have this name. Only decent thing the woman who gave birth to me ever did for me.

avocadochocolate Thu 16-May-19 19:28:44

I don't like my name. It is a common name in my parents generation, so it's always made me feel uncool and out of touch.

DroningOn Thu 16-May-19 19:29:33

Mine's Morag, I've got a properly Scottish surname too but live in the south east so not that many Morag's down here.

Hated it as a kid but really like it now I'm in my early 40s and have the life experience and self confidence to not give two shits what other people think!

Unremarkable Thu 16-May-19 19:30:31

I hate mine. It’s old fashioned and unusual. I wish my parents had chosen something more.... unremarkable 😬

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 16-May-19 19:34:07

I'm fairly meh about mine. It's more the story behind it-my parents couldn't agree on a name so picked mine because neither hated it. It's just got no significance.

TidyDancer Thu 16-May-19 19:34:48

I love mine. It's timeless and classic. My parents did a good job!

LetMeFall Thu 16-May-19 19:35:14

I do quite like mine, it's short and sweet. However, my name is technically a nickname and it's traditional full name also has another nickname one syllable more than my name. If I had a penny for every time I was called the other name I'd be a millionaire.

It drives me mad. That's not my f-ing name!

I've been known at work to ignore instructions from colleagues if they said the wrong name - got me into trouble a few times but politely pointing out that my name is not X and is in fact Y so I'd appreciate actually being called Y shut them up.

I've also not responsed to a wedding invite because they used the wrong name (these people were my family who should very well know my bleeding name!) my mum actually rang them to ask to send me another with the correct name because I was being so stubborn about it but she wanted me to go. They did it as well and rang me to apologise for the cock up (apparently my family member's MIL organised the invites and 'couldn't read the handwriting very well')

But on the whole, I like my (actual) name!

GimmeBread Thu 16-May-19 19:36:06

I never used to like it when I was younger but I do now because it's uncommon but not weird. I've only known 2 people with my name. My siblings all have quite common names.

Deadringer Thu 16-May-19 19:36:57

Mine is very ordinary, I don't mind it but family and close friends use the shortened version of it which I prefer.

Girlicorne Thu 16-May-19 19:38:45

I like my name but people often get two letters the wrong way round to make a name that isn't so nice. Also I could never get anything with my name on when I was little so both my DC have top 5 names! my mum wanted my middle name to be my first name and it's horrific. My friends that i d made as an adult had no idea what it was until my wedding day!

Pebbles16 Thu 16-May-19 19:40:55

I've grown to be non committal about it. My siblings and cousins all had much more exotic names.
I often wish I was named Alice (after my beloved grandma) but it wouldn't work very well with my surname

Absolutepowercorrupts Thu 16-May-19 19:41:10

I don't know whether I like my name or not. It's just my name, I got to 50 before I met someone else with the same name and then 60 when I met another woman with the same name.
It can't really be shortened, the first syllable is another name so I wouldn't answer because it's not me.
It's Yvonne, shortened to Eve.

RiftGibbon Thu 16-May-19 19:41:52

No, I don't like mine. I have not answered to it for about 35 years.

cheesydoesit Thu 16-May-19 19:46:01

I hate mine. Boring, boring, boring and too common popular growing up.

EnglishRose13 Thu 16-May-19 19:46:12

Sara.

As in Sara Cox. Very dull.

animaginativeusername Thu 16-May-19 19:51:07

I hate my name, it has religious historical relevance. Hate it because correct pronunciation is impossible for non Arabic/Urdu speakers.

SunshineCake Thu 16-May-19 19:56:33

What is Kirsty shortened too that is ugly?

MsMarvellous Thu 16-May-19 20:00:30

@SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad I wonder if we have the same name. There were 5 of us in my class. I like it. But it used to be very popular

I'm an 80s baby

MyFavouritePlace Thu 16-May-19 20:00:36

Nope hate mine. I have a foreign name that is nearly always mispronounced and I really think my life would have been so different if I'd been given a normal name.

gingajewel Thu 16-May-19 20:05:05

@absolutepowercorrupts my moms name is Yvonne and I love it, I was going to name my eldest dd it, I think it is uncommon yet beautiful.

chilledteacher Thu 16-May-19 20:05:18

Can't stand it. Old fashioned and sensible, stereotyped in the media as being bossy and fat.
Plus-I lisp the letter my name starts with. It's awkward as hell struggling to say your own name!! 😳

popsadaisy Thu 16-May-19 20:13:15

I honestly don't know how I feel about my name... I get so many compliments about it but I feel like because I've lived with it forever (obviously) I can't really decide if I like it or just learnt to live with it!! My name is a precious stone... any guesses?!

MaMisled Thu 16-May-19 20:16:05

I have one of the most common names given to girls in the 60s. There were 4 in my class at school! I detest it! I'd like to be called Cicely!

Mac47 Thu 16-May-19 20:16:31

Mine is chavtastic. I do not know what my parents were thinking, my sibling has a nice classic name and mine is shit. After nearly half a century with it, I'm stuck with it, but I longed be something (anything) else growing up.

ChubbyMummy12 Thu 16-May-19 20:18:26

I hate my name. It's a boys name, and the name of a vehicle. And my surname started with the same letter. (Eg BB) would love to change my name but I haven't got the guts to!

Kokapetl Thu 16-May-19 20:18:43

Not really. I always wanted a longer, fancier name when I was growing up. It probably suits me though.

nokidshere Thu 16-May-19 20:19:40

Mine is fine. Only 3 letters so can't really be changed although people do seem to like lengthening it for some reason. Very few people with the same name but it's not particularly unusual.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Thu 16-May-19 20:21:15

It's fine, marks me out as a child of the eighties though..

Jebuschristchocolatebar Thu 16-May-19 20:21:42

I have a really old fashioned girls name. It has become trendy again with the ironic, fixed wheel bike and mason jar brigade. I got awful slagging in school over it but now I am older I love it

MonnieMoo Thu 16-May-19 20:22:46

I hate mine it’s so boring. I would prefer almost anything to it. I probably wouldn’t change it though, for my mums benefit. My mother has always been sad and a little bit hurt that I don’t like it, she says she named me it because in her opinion it’s the prettiest name she’s ever heard.

mamaduckbone Thu 16-May-19 20:24:18

Mine (Rachel) has never caused me any problems- it was reasonably common when I was growing up and there were a couple of others at school but not too many.
I don't especially like it though and don't really think it suits me. Where I live it tends to be pronounced Ray-chull which is quite harsh.

Stravapalava Thu 16-May-19 21:16:11

My name was common amongst my school year as it was a popular name of it's time. I hated it when I was younger, but now I really like it, all of it, including middles (I have two, preens grin ).

Moonflower12 Thu 16-May-19 21:17:57

@MaMisled
We probably have the same name!
There were 8 in my (all girls school) class.

I go by my first and middle name sort of combined. In our village of about 300 houses there are 3 of us with this combined name- all about the same age- but all spelt differently.

managedmis Thu 16-May-19 21:20:59

I like the shortened version I. E. Steph, not Stéphanie

SecretWitch Thu 16-May-19 21:22:27

My mum really liked the show Bewitched. I am named after one of the characters (and no, not the wicked MIL)

I do love my name. I carried on the tradition by naming my daughter after another character.

Absolutepowercorrupts Thu 16-May-19 21:46:45

@Gingajewel
Aw thank you, you're right it's definitely not a common name and it's so lovely to know that you think it's beautiful. As said I only know two other women named Yvonne. The only sort of semi famous women I know with that name are Evonne Goolagong, Australian tennis player and Yvonne Elliman, American singer songwriter.

PatCliftonspostbag Thu 16-May-19 21:48:02

I like my name. Only know of one other person (semi famousish) with the same name.
Annoyingly if you take one letter out it becomes another name which I get called frequently especially when Big Brother was on years ago! Drives me mad when I receive emails addressed with the wrong name!!

Absolutepowercorrupts Thu 16-May-19 21:49:11

SecretWitch
Samantha?

SniffleSneeze Thu 16-May-19 21:49:17

I do now, thanks to deed poll as soon as I was 18.

ooopsupsideyourhead Thu 16-May-19 21:51:49

I have an Irish name - the type where the spelling and pronunciation make no sense to a none Irish speaker.

I got very frustrated with it as a child because we lived in that Irish speaking heartland... Derby.

But, now I like it. And I’m old enough to weather the mispronunciations and inevitable “oooh, how are interesting! Where’s it from? Oh, Ireland, of course, are you Irish?”

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »