Talk

Advanced search

(light-hearted) inspired by another thread .. do you like your given name?

(241 Posts)
rabbitheadlights Thu 16-May-19 17:39:47

Does it cause you any problems?
If you could pick a name what would it be?

Charley34 Thu 16-May-19 17:47:22

I love my name wouldn't change it either x

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Thu 16-May-19 18:01:00

I don't mind my name - but it was the most popular girl's name for several years, so I've never worked/studied anywhere without being alongside several others with the same name (there were SEVEN of us in my class at Junior School shock ) which does get a bit wearing.
Having said that, at least everyone knows how it's spelt...!

GillBiggeloesHair Thu 16-May-19 18:05:24

No I hate it. I don't know what my parents were thinking of.
It's a traditional name, nothing too out there.

Worse, the first letter is the same as that of my surname and I hated that too. So I was TT, for example.

If I hadn't got a fab new surname through marriage I would have changed my first name for sure.

Honestly, parents should think hard before they saddle their child with this kind of shite.

I'm not bitter, much....

FucksBizz Thu 16-May-19 18:06:56

My name is Daisy. Which is unusual in my age group. I love it.

Rainbowknickers Thu 16-May-19 18:11:30

I like mine-as in I would have called my child it if it wasn’t my name but I don’t think it suits me as a person-and my middle name is awful

MyNameIsArthur Thu 16-May-19 18:12:24

My name was old fashioned when I grew up in the 70s and 80s. It was hard going at times.

Summerorjustmaybe Thu 16-May-19 18:14:03

I don't know another of my name. Dh never uses it and dc think it's odd. So do their friends....
Would feel odd changing it at 47!!

UCOinanOCG Thu 16-May-19 18:17:15

I have a very common 60s name but I don't mind it actually. I used to hate my middle name but weirdly it is now a really popular name. It always seemed very old fashioned to me.

flowersinthebedroom Thu 16-May-19 18:18:10

I dislike mine, it's a very 60s / 70s name like Tracey or Sharon.

rabbitheadlights Thu 16-May-19 18:18:44

Mine is just plain ... Rebecca ... I often wished for something more exotic as a kid but actually, there's no confusion re spelling or pronunciation etc .. so I suppose not so bad

Houseonahill Thu 16-May-19 18:19:06

Not especially, there is nothing wrong with the name I just don't think it suits me, I wouldn't change it though it's my name and it would be weird to suddenly be something else and I think my mum would be sad if I did.

FoxFoxSierra Thu 16-May-19 18:19:44

I hate mine, it's not too out there but it's very 80s. I go by a shortened version, not many people know my actual name

sonlypuppyfat Thu 16-May-19 18:20:14

My name is very old testament but apparently people love to shorten it and then add an ie to the end angry

70sWitch Thu 16-May-19 18:21:34

No. Never liked it. It's not ugly or outrageous, I just don't like it.

Bigearringsbigsmile Thu 16-May-19 18:23:26

i've got used to it.
i hated it when i was younger.

it's quite unusual-i've only ever met one or two other people called it which on mumsnet seems to be an ideal to aim for.
However it meant that EVERYONE knew who i was -do something embarrassing at school? everyone knows it's you.
people always comment on it.
kids at school teased me about it.
men have used it as a springboard for cheesey chat up lines.
It's a virtue name so people will always comment on that virtue.

There are no pencils with my name on.

I made sure my kids had names that other children have and i never understand the need to give kids names that nobody else has.

I'd have given anything to be a joanne or a sarah or an emma[showing my age there!]

Bwekfusth Thu 16-May-19 18:24:05

I hate my full name but like it shortened. My mum also chose the most awkward way to spell it and it's quite long so learning to write it was a challenge. nobody ever, ever spells it correctly. And the people that consistently pronounce it incorrectly do my tits in.

PillowTalker Thu 16-May-19 18:24:11

Mine is Sadie, quite like it and not common for my age (39) though on more than one occasion I've been told by people that they have/had a dog called Sadie

TroysMammy Thu 16-May-19 18:24:15

I hated mine growing up as the first 3 letters can be used as an insult. As an adult I like the fact it isn't that common. I'm a GP Receptionist and know of at least 5 ladies older than myself (51) with the same name.

isabellerossignol Thu 16-May-19 18:25:59

I like my name. Hated it as a teenager because it wasn't fashionable. Now thank my lucky stars that I don't have one of the names that I thought was 'cool' when I was 14.

UCOinanOCG Thu 16-May-19 18:26:48

My dog is called Sadie! It's an ace name for a person or a dog.

WonderTweek Thu 16-May-19 18:27:09

Mine is a colour (not in English though) and I like it. It's a bit of an 80s name though and I wasn't massively keen on it when I was growing up, but it's really grown on me. smile

YouWinAgain Thu 16-May-19 18:29:36

I don't love it but don't hate it either. It's just a name.

CupOhTea Thu 16-May-19 18:31:55

I love mine. It's very similar to yours op!

MaudebeGonne Thu 16-May-19 18:32:08

I have a traditional Irish name. So it is well known in Ireland but not massively common, and has never been fashionable. No one in the UK can ever pronounce it. I lived there for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the amount of people who said it properly.

So yes, I do like it, but that is only because I am a contrarian and I don't mind people mispronouncing it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: