Talk

Advanced search

To dob these men into their work?

(323 Posts)
Stickywhitelovepiss Thu 16-May-19 11:32:06

Not a pearl clutcher in general, but am in two minds on this one...

Yesterday on the (very crammed) train home there were a group of about a dozen blokes essentially effing and blinding and cunting at top volume all the way home, just generally being very vocally laddish and objectionable. Including having a great old joke at the "jumper" who had caused the problems the line that evening.

My little cousin was with me, but I still chickened out in contronting them and as per usual did the very British thing of seething impotently instead.

They were all in their company polo shirts.

Part of me really wants to contact their company and let them know about it. Part of me thinks I'm sounding like a grumpy old women before my time.

Looking to Mumsnetters to give my head a wobble either way on this!

Bookworm4 Thu 16-May-19 11:34:49

Absolutely not, yes their behaviour wasn't ideal but imagine we all took to reporting people being loud/swearing on public transport. Maybe learn to drive if you're so easily offended.

blackcatclocks Thu 16-May-19 11:35:03

What has it got to do with their work? Unless they were meant to be working at the time telling their work is a bit like ringing up their Mum and saying they had been naughty 🙄

Sparklfairy Thu 16-May-19 11:36:51

I get what you're saying- if they're in uniform they are still representing their company even if they're off the clock. But I really wouldn't bother.

kaytee87 Thu 16-May-19 11:37:27

Sorry, what?? You want to let their work know that they were swearing?
What exactly do you expect their work to do about it?

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 16-May-19 11:39:14

While they're in company uniform, they're representing their company, in this case, very badly. If the company is at all concerned about their public image, or something like the considerate construction scheme is relevant, then it will be very interested in the behaviour of their employees.

It is in my work contract that I need to behave in an appropriate manner when being identifiable due to wearing my employer's branded workwear.

Summerorjustmaybe Thu 16-May-19 11:39:42

I reported out binmen once. Smoking and spitting outside our house while at work. Gives a couldn't give a fuck impression imo.
I would op tbh. Someone's loved one committed suicide and they were taking the piss. That's awful.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 11:40:02

Racist bullying? Harrasing other passengers?
YWNBU.
Swearing during conversation so not aimed at anyone?
YABU

Gatehouse77 Thu 16-May-19 11:40:53

Nope, I wouldn't. The behaviour you describe needs to be dealt with then and there. I have asked people to tone down their language if there are young children around and they usually do. Or bugger off where I can't hear them!

Herbella Thu 16-May-19 11:41:51

Well, actually, it does concern their employer as they were wearing identifiable uniforms so presenting a very unpleasant picture of the kind of people who work for that company.
Personally, if they annoyed me that much I would make a note never to buy their boss's goods or services if I could help it.
We were always reminded that when wearing our school uniforms we represented our school and should take care in what we said and did.
My husband drives a liveried vehicle and is always conscious that he represents his employer.
If they want to be crass and boorish on the train they should wear mufti.

RamIt Thu 16-May-19 11:42:38

It would go nowhere.

I'm assuming you've not got any evidence of the foul behaviour or any names of the individuals?

Management can take formal action against employees if there is evidence that they have damaged the company brand with their behaviour. This has happened a few times where I work where people have misbehaved on social media etc.

Better to let it go and pick your battles wisely.

Stickywhitelovepiss Thu 16-May-19 11:43:02

Sorry, to clarify it wasn't just a bit of swearing, which I wouldn't care about at all! It was a constant, top-volume, ever other word, round of expletives. For the whole journey.

It was intimidating and (I thought) attention seeking, but not abusive of other passengers as such.

owlonabike Thu 16-May-19 11:46:25

I’d usually just seethe inwardly too, but behaving like this in front of a child and, worse, mocking someone’s mental distress and (probable) death is horrible. Absolutely ignorant and arrogant behaviour. Please report it.

BogglesGoggles Thu 16-May-19 11:48:41

I don’t see what this has to do with their employer. In furture either move or find a member of staff to deal with it.

Teddybear45 Thu 16-May-19 11:48:49

Did you take a video? If so send it to them. If not mention it on their Twitter so they can send a general comms to their employees. Most big employers have core standards they must maintain outside of w

Floralnomad Thu 16-May-19 11:48:59

You should have spoken up at the time and asked them to either lower the volume or moderate their language , then if they’d been rude to you you could complain to their company .

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 16-May-19 11:49:13

Was it a big retail company?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 16-May-19 11:50:04

I was stuck on a crowded train with three teenage public school boys. They started saying disgusting things to cause offence. Well two of them did. The third looked embarrassed but didn't do anything.

Bloody idiots. I knew which school they went to by the stop they got off at.

Once home I rang the school, was put on to the headmaster. He was duly horrified and, when I described them he said sadly he knew which boys.

He rang back later to say he'd dealt with one of the boys and the others were waiting outside his office.

Very glad to bring consequences for such nasty behaviour.

Stickywhitelovepiss Thu 16-May-19 11:52:13

No video, no. Small firm on looking them up - I'd guess the group constituted quite a chunk of the workforce.

I wish I'd had the guts to speak up at the time!

PolarBearBubbles Thu 16-May-19 11:52:24

You're going to report them for being loud and swearing? Even if it's constant, unless they're abusing other passengers, they've got every right to swear if they want to.
I can't imagine their work would be remotely interested in you.

PuppetShowInTheSoundofMusic Thu 16-May-19 11:54:54

Did you get a video or any audio?
Evidence always helps in situations like this as it usually speaks for itself.

It's more problematic if its just a complaint as its your word against theirs.

UpsydaisyandIgglePiggleareatit Thu 16-May-19 11:56:04

To be honest I probably wouldn’t. I wouldn’t have confronted at the time either because I’d be a bit fearful of the situation escalating...
I do get the whole being uniform and representing the company thing though. School kids are in uniform to and from school and are often reported to the school for bad behaviour during those times (at least the school I went to, fair few assemblies about it!)

Teddybear45 Thu 16-May-19 11:57:47

My workplace is a huge employer - part of their uniform policy is that any ‘disrespectful’ or ‘antisocial’ behaviour while in any part of the uniform counts as gross misconduct. We are not unique in this. Their behaviour would be grounds for instant dismissal if there’s a video showing the employees.

M3lon Thu 16-May-19 12:00:36

YANBU

If I was running a small business and people were behaving in such a way as to bring my business into disrepute I would want to hear about it.

The fact they were doing this while wearing company shirts means there is an impact on the business.

Hopefully the net result would be the business owner telling them to show a little self-respect (as well as respect for the company) while wearing the company outfit.

Earslaps Thu 16-May-19 12:02:33

I have often decided not to use companies based on the behaviour of people in company uniform, twatty driving of company vans etc. TBH I don't tend to report, just because I'm too lazy really.

DH reported staff to their company after one delivery driver kicked our DCs toys in the garden and tipped all the water out of our wheelbarrow (just general stupid behaviour)- the company were very grateful to hear and rang full of apologies.

If you have the time, I think an email to the company would be fine. I wouldn't want to the staff to be disciplined, but they do need a reminder that when they are in company uniform they represent the company. Just like children can get told off for behaviour outside school but in school uniform.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »