Talk

Advanced search

...to think if you're having a day of noisy building work and you KNOW your NDN works from home...

(85 Posts)
Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 09:45:49

...and that their DS is in the middle of their A-levels, you let your neighbours know, as a matter of courtesy, so they can make alternative arrangements.

So.
Fucking.
Annoying.

SpecterLitt Thu 16-May-19 21:39:48

I've lived in London all my life and never have I or friends and family given notice to neighbours regarding work that would be carried out. All neighbours just get on with their things and adhere to standard times so that no one is disrupted with noise after 5/6pm.

If it's bothering you, ask them how long and make arrangements if it's so vital. Only on MN have I heard this.

Witchend Thu 16-May-19 15:54:19

Dd's doing Alevels this term. I don't think any of her friends have had exams yet and study leave only starts next week, so it wouldn't occur to me to consider Alevels this week.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 15:25:48

oh, sure, but it would certainly make me feel better if I knew they were suffering too!

JustTwoMoreSecs Thu 16-May-19 15:14:21

I get it @WeepingWillowWeepingWino , I habe been on the receiving end (and never been the one dog the work!) but rationally it doesn’t change a thing for them to move out or not...

Di11y Thu 16-May-19 15:13:31

YANBU my ndn told me early ish one morning he was having his boiler replaced on adjoining wall. changed my plans from WFH to being in the office. simple courtesy and much appreciated.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 15:06:34

Just of course I'm annoyed - I have all the disruption and they have none. How the fuck is that fair or just? For months - in the case of one house on our street for 2 years.

I wonder if these people understand how much they are failing to ingratiate themselves with their community?

Back in the day you'd buy a house (not a property; a house, a home) and do it up slowly as and when it needed doing. We have had, in the 15 years we've lived here, 2 weeks spent on the kitchen, 2-3 weeks spent on the bathroom and a few days here and there on the roof. Not 6 solid months' work, involving nightmare builders doing stuff like digging a fucking great hole in our garden. And then it's sold and it gets done again, another 6 months work.

But now people don't just want a home, do they?

Weepingwillow5 Thu 16-May-19 14:43:13

I would let my neighbours know if we had noisy work going on

catsmother Thu 16-May-19 14:39:59

My work from home has absolutely no impact on any of my neighbours. In fact it benefits them because I'm forever taking in their parcels .... including the CFs I mentioned before.

JacquesHammer Thu 16-May-19 14:37:24

Do those who work from home ever show consideration for those who do not when they have visitors and deliveries

I have no visitors in terms of work - all my meetings are done outside the home. Deliveries? No more than any other household except I'm mostly in all day so no neighbours usually are asked to take in my parcels grin

catsmother Thu 16-May-19 14:37:02

I'm still agog at the number of posters who blithely declare they'd not prewarn neighbours about building noise. As someone who's worked entirely from home for over a decade I fully accept my neighbours might want to improve or repair their homes every so often but there's a big psychological difference when you know - roughly - how long it's going to take because there's a light at the end of the tunnel and you might be able to make alternative arrangements for some of that time. Being unable to open your windows in the height of summer because you're trying to minimise noise and not having a clue when it's going to be finished is another thing entirely.

JustTwoMoreSecs Thu 16-May-19 14:35:05

@WeepingWillowWeepingWino you seem annoyed that people that do major work move out until the work is done. What would it change for you if they didn’t?? You do realize you can’t really live in a house hlf built for obvious safety reasons?

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 14:31:11

Do those who work from home ever show consideration for those who do not when they have visitors and deliveries etc

errr - what? If I'm working from home I don't have visitors! And I end up taking in loads of deliveries for neighbours who are working out of the home!

What am I meant to be showing consideration for here, if I work from home?

shrill Thu 16-May-19 14:18:53

Does anyone ever think about those who work nights and therefore need a good day's sleep? It's part of life. Do those who work from home ever show consideration for those who do not when they have visitors and deliveries etc or are working as a child minder and have little ones play in their garden? It's all part of life.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Thu 16-May-19 14:15:09

If you work from home you accept it isn’t a sanitised office environment.

I really agree with this. With more and more people choosing to use their home as a workplace, I think they need to understand that nobody else needs to plan around this.

A note through the door apologising for the noise would be polite, but not particularly because someone works from home.

UnicornDust9 Thu 16-May-19 14:14:28

Wouldn’t even cross my mind to let a neighbor know I had building work planned

TheFlis12345 Thu 16-May-19 14:11:55

If it is just one day then they may not have had a lot of notice. For smaller jobs our builder often used to just fit us in when he had time (usually when materials for a major job were delayed). A couple of times he called us late in the evening to ask if he could come over the next day so we couldn’t have given neighbours notice.

Veryangryvicuna Thu 16-May-19 14:09:01

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable. When we got noisy building work done, we went round to our immediate neighbours and let them know well in advance. I didn’t know them all that well - didn’t realise that one of them worked nights so slept during the day, but in going round to tell them about the work, we found out...

There wasn’t a lot we could do to make the work quieter, but they at least had warning of the work. Really the least we could do.

Needallthesleep Thu 16-May-19 14:01:49

I get that it’s annoying, but I have no idea what building work will be noisy and what won’t be. We did some minor renovations last year that I thought would be quiet and unobtrusive, but turned out to be pretty impactful. And this year we are doing major work which so far is very quiet and dust free.

BlueSkiesLies Thu 16-May-19 13:36:24

If you work from home you accept it isn’t a sanitised office environment.

Wear headphones. Go to a cafe/library. Whatever. People are perfectly entitled to do noisy building work on their houses.

Dottierichardson Thu 16-May-19 12:41:44

YANBU we always tell neighbours on either side if we’re having building work done, and they tell us, it’s common courtesy. It’s less annoying if you know when it’s going to happen and if you know how long it’s going to go on for – plus as you said there’s the option of going out while it’s happening. As a result, we have no problems with our neighbours and vice versa. We all have each others’ mobile contact details, all it takes is a quick text.

BlueCornishPixie Thu 16-May-19 12:24:45

I think that while it is courtesy to let a neighbour know, I do think that building work happens, and as long as it's in the the day you can't really complain. It's just part of living next to people.

For one day I don't think I would be too annoyed, but I probably would have given you a heads up.

CherryBlossom23 Thu 16-May-19 12:12:38

I work from home and live on the middle floor of a block of flats, so arguably noise travels more than it would from the neighbours semi detached/detached house. None of my neighbours have ever given me notice of when there will be noisy home improvement work being carried out, I only realise when the drilling starts. I think you are being precious OP.

Smolo Thu 16-May-19 12:06:31

How bad can it be? I am currently living on a building site. We're one of the first people to move into a new housing development and live with constant noise six days a week. My house quite literally shakes as excavators go by and today they have dug up the road outside to lay pipes. Both DH and I work from home and have not found it a problem. A lot of my work is phone based too.

JacquesHammer Thu 16-May-19 12:02:53

'Get their way' - on MN if someone who isn't disturbing anyone gets upset about someone who is causing disturbance, most of the time the one minding their own business not bothering anyone is told to suck it up and stop thinking the world revolves around them

It’s kind of true though! I mean there are so many options available to those who work from home on the main. I think people whip themselves up into unnecessary stress over stuff that could have far less impact if they let it smile

(And before anyone asks, no I’ve never had any noisy work done on the house and yes, I mow my lawn and use hedge trimmers after 10am on a weekend wink)

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 11:59:27

Jacques well, IME 95% of work done is choice not necessity. You're never going to persuade me that a house needs to be gutted less than 5 years after it's been gutted the first time.

(That's another thing - IME people cause massive disruption for months on end (whilst not being resident) and then sell up just a few years later. It's a fucking hobby - a phenomenally inconsiderate hobby.)

'Get their way' - on MN if someone who isn't disturbing anyone gets upset about someone who is causing disturbance, most of the time the one minding their own business not bothering anyone is told to suck it up and stop thinking the world revolves around them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »