Talk

Advanced search

...to think if you're having a day of noisy building work and you KNOW your NDN works from home...

(85 Posts)
Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 09:45:49

...and that their DS is in the middle of their A-levels, you let your neighbours know, as a matter of courtesy, so they can make alternative arrangements.

So.
Fucking.
Annoying.

DelphicOracle Thu 16-May-19 10:20:41

YANBU OP - I would always tell neighbours and mine always tell me... ditto if Im having a party / they are going away / hey are going away and having relatives to stay in their house / their baby has been crying alot.... I think its just about kindness.

I have never fallen out with nay of my neighbours about building work or anything.... maybe thats because we talk to them and manage their expectations!

JugglingMummyof2 Thu 16-May-19 10:22:17

YANBU at all - people having building work done, even when they have previously nice normal neighbours, seem to go a bit mad and become unthinking selfish sods. We have had it many many times in our street. Of course it would have been courteous of them to have let you know. And to those suggesting exam taking DC should go to a library or school lots of libraries are closed or have restricted hours, libraries are full of pre-school DC on weekdays(as it should be) and certainly my DC schools only allow access during exam periods when you are taking an exam or between two exams. @Saltysea2001 I have been there and I feel for you.

Purplecatshopaholic Thu 16-May-19 10:30:17

I would let my neighbours know, yes. But we talk all the time so they would know it was coming anyway.

Janedoughnut Thu 16-May-19 10:34:02

You'd think so wouldn't you. But after our next door neighbour having an extention built with the builders just turning up one day without any notice and then 6 months off noise, disruption, being blocked in my drive, rubbish in my garden including broken glass. Not to mention the verbal abuse I got from their builder when I told him not to drill into my house wall. Not once have they apologised for any of the disruption.

Janedoughnut Thu 16-May-19 10:34:45

Of not off.

YetAnotherThing Thu 16-May-19 10:37:08

Agree, YANBU. It’s common courtesy Even if they had no idea you worked from home/exams etc

Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 10:37:58

Thanks for the replies.

Just to reiterate, I absolutely don't think the world revolves around me and I would never suggest they shouldn't do the work.

Of course we can relocate - with a bit of notice, I could have sorted the logistics. DS could have taken his stuff (and some bloody lunch) with him when he left the house this am for his exam rather than schlepping home, collecting his books and heading out again. And I could have done my call this morning somewhere else without an angle grinder backing track.

grin

daisypond Thu 16-May-19 10:40:52

For one day of work, I would not expect to be told. We had months of loud work while neighbours did loft and kitchen extension plus cellar excavation all though my dc A levels and GCSEs. And DH was a shift worker and tended to be asleep during the day. Neighbours did inform us but we still had to live through it . They moved out for six months .

AlbusSeverusMalfoy Thu 16-May-19 10:42:01

Try living next door to a building site. I literally live next to one. My balcony faces it. I see them. They start at 7am monday to saturday and finish at 7pm.. bang bang bloody bang.

Scrumptiousbears Thu 16-May-19 10:42:02

I personally would let you know however I don't understand why you are so angry about it. Life happens.

REDCARBLUE Thu 16-May-19 10:44:23

I dont see the point in informing you. You already know by the noise. Im sure you kid can find a library to study in?

ALargeSliceOfCheesecake Thu 16-May-19 10:45:00

Noise cancelling headphones?

AryaStarkWolf Thu 16-May-19 10:52:39

I would think it's common courtesy to let you know yes, obviously they don't have to but it would be neighbourly to do so

lisalocketlostherpocket Thu 16-May-19 10:52:47

I'm suggesting it would be polite, neighbourly even, to mention predictable noisy building work

Yes it would. What happens if a neighbour works nights?

People are ridiculously noisy.

catsmother Thu 16-May-19 10:53:37

Whatever happened to courtesy? You're not suggesting they don't do the building work at all - you just wanted a heads up so you could have a chance to make alternative arrangements, or, at the very least, get your head round the fact it was going to be noisy. IME, noise is far more tolerable if it's been acknowledged, than when it's been imposed on you without warning.

Not so long ago, our next door neighbours but one buggered off for 5 f****g months while they had an extension built. I don't totally blame them but they didn't say a word to us, or another neighbour affected by the noise and obstruction (end of no through road). As it happens, I work from home and so does the other neighbour. They probably wouldn't have known this but neither could it be ruled out. We only found out when the one neighbour they did tell informed us. And …. tbh it was hellish, made all the worse by the rudeness. We had no way of contacting them to find out how long it was going on for, we had constant issues with builders blocking access and then being very slow to shift their lorries when asked, 'yeah in a minute luv' would turn into 10 or 15 (despite the fact it was possible to park considerately and not block), also hindered using the garden as we were overlooked by their scaffolding, …. before you even get onto the near constant noise, and regular swearing drifting through the window . To cap it all, when they did deign to return, the neighbours had a big 'extension warming' party - more noise!!! - which we weren't informed about or invited to, maybe as a bit of a peace offering or something? Nah ….. nothing, absolutely nothing, cheeky f***g fuckers.

We are having two, just two days worth of very minor work done shortly and will be informing the neighbours. To my mind that's just what you do.

IronManisnotDead Thu 16-May-19 10:55:02

If you can relocate for the duration of the building work then why complain?
My DS is doing his A Levels exams starting next week. We live on a new build where ongoing construction is still happening next to us. I think YABU to expect a courtesy call about it. Get a grip fgs.

WhoKnewBeefStew Thu 16-May-19 10:56:48

That’s the joys of working or studying from home I’m afraid. It’s in the middle of the day, its not like it’s 9pm! I work from home and you just have to accept it if you live with neighbours. I hate school holidays because all the neighbours kids make a noise, but that’s just life I’m afraid.

mydogisthebest Thu 16-May-19 11:02:33

Of course I would let my neighbour know. DH is going to be taking the chimney breast out soon as we will let our neighbour know even though they are both out at work all week. DH is going to do on a weekday because he doesn't feel it fair to make the noise at a weekend.

Some people just have no manners

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 16-May-19 11:18:07

I probably would let my neighbours know. However, noisy building work is annoying and disruptive whether you have advance warning or not. You would probably have felt just as cross having to make alternative arrangements.

It's always possible that when the work is done they come round with a bottle of wine and a 'thank you for being understanding' card, as neighbours of ours did.

GabsAlot Thu 16-May-19 11:18:15

I never got notice that an extention was being built next door that went on for ages jsut the way it is sometimes

But then i dont know where they work what they do or if theyre kids are studying

Yabbers Thu 16-May-19 11:19:54

A decent builder is booked weeks, if not months in advance. It’s not like they called them yesterday. And I doubt they have your stuff marked on the calendar.

Buster72 Thu 16-May-19 11:28:41

So your DS was not at home when the work was in progress he was at school doing the exam.?

SlowDown76mph Thu 16-May-19 11:33:34

Of course they should have given you a 'heads-up' about the works - then you could have made alternative plans for work/study. Just basic good manners.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 11:35:00

Gabs no, it's not 'just the way it is' - well, only if you are a doormat. Inconsiderate fuckers get to be inconsiderate all their lives because of this kind of attitude.

Call them out, every time.

The house next to me was gutted twice in pretty quick succession (I unfortunately live on a street where a house can't simply be bought and moved into, it must be remodelled from day 1, usually by people so minted that they rent somewhere else while the work is going on, so zero inconvenience for them), each time it took months and the disruption was substantial to us. They are selling up and I am absolutely dreading the next bunch who will no doubt do the same fucking thing.

HappySonHappyMum Thu 16-May-19 11:35:03

I've never met a builder yet that gives their client a schedule of exactly what work they intend to do over the course of a week...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »