Talk

Advanced search

...to think if you're having a day of noisy building work and you KNOW your NDN works from home...

(85 Posts)
Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 09:45:49

...and that their DS is in the middle of their A-levels, you let your neighbours know, as a matter of courtesy, so they can make alternative arrangements.

So.
Fucking.
Annoying.

wellballstoyou Thu 16-May-19 09:48:50

sorry the world doesnt stop for you love!

normal life goes on. your ds could go to a libary/ school even.

EskeewdBeef Thu 16-May-19 09:55:53

They possibly didn't anticipate just how much noise it would make.

Is it too late to work/study somewhere else?

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 09:57:55

In my experience people having building work done don't give a stuff about the amount of disruption it causes.

Probably unfair but it's happened too many times.

RomanyQueen1 Thu 16-May-19 09:58:02

Perhaps they don't know ds is doing A levels and if they've never worked from home, wouldn't consider the impact.
I'm not sure I'd think to tell neighbours unless elderly, might mention in passing if I saw them.

Bunnybigears Thu 16-May-19 09:59:11

It would have been nice of them but surely it's not too late to make alternative arrangements now.

Tohaveandtohold Thu 16-May-19 10:01:00

It’s courteous but they don’t have to. To be honest, how are they to know that you work from home or that your son is studying.

Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 10:02:59

They KNOW I wfh, they KNOW DS is in middle of A-levels. I'm not suggesting the world should stop for me (*@wellballstoyou*) I'm suggesting it would be polite, neighbourly even, to mention predictable noisy building work.

Of course we can both relocate. It's inconvenient, but there we go. That wasn't the point.

As ever, my world view is so different to the Mumsnet masses. It just seems obvious to me that its just ac courteous thing to do. Bizarre.

areyoubeingserviced Thu 16-May-19 10:06:02

YABU. What do you expect them to do?
I have builders in.
I just ensure that they don’t start work until 9am and finish by 5pm. They don’t come at the weekend

Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 10:08:11

I expect very little. I think it would be polite to let me know that they have noisy work given the scenario I outlined. I'm NOT asking them not to do the work.

Summerorjustmaybe Thu 16-May-19 10:08:49

Ime neighbours get a kick out of being a twat.
Ime the more noise they (he) can inflict on us the better.
Yanbu to be pissed off op.

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 16-May-19 10:09:17

For a days work I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me, and I'm very unlikely to remember anyone is doing their A-levels unless I have birth to them. I had 6 hours of neighbours grass cutting and strimming yesterday, it's just urban life I'm afraid.

notoafternoontea Thu 16-May-19 10:10:13

YANBU. Of course you'd let them know. Anything else is just rude.

Years and years ago we lived in a terrace house and I was working from home. The builders next door started drilling. I went in and said, I'm so sorry, I have a call at 2pm for an hour will you be drilling then as I'd go somewhere else (I was going to do it from the car!) and they said, no, no, they'd not drill then.

1.58, the drilling stopped, 3.02 it started. I was lucky the call ran to time grin

And I live in unfriendly it's not London!

Gigglinghysterically Thu 16-May-19 10:10:21

I would, out of courtesy, let my NDN know I was having work done and especially if I knew they worked from home or had someone revising for exams.

I assume, as your NDN know your circumstances, that you get on okay so I'm surprised they haven't said anything. Perhaps they just don't realise how much noise there is?

RussianSpamBot Thu 16-May-19 10:10:23

I'd have mentioned it.

PutyourtoponTrevor Thu 16-May-19 10:10:22

You're not being unreasonable OP, just common courtesy to let you know, my neighbours do.

Some cuntish replies on here

Bluebelltulip Thu 16-May-19 10:11:16

I agree that it is polite to give a bit of notice. As you said you are not expecting them to not do it you just wanted them to have warned you. We recently had some work done and our neighbour works shifts, I told him a few weeks before as I thought this would be preferable to being woken up if he had been on a night before.

HomeMadeMadness Thu 16-May-19 10:12:12

Only a day? I think it would be polite to mention it but they probably just didn't think it would cause so much of an issue. I work from home and would have probably just closed the window and got on with it or wandered down to the local library/coffee shop. Different people have different sensitivities to noise.

Fraxion Thu 16-May-19 10:12:43

I would let my neighbours know. I used ear defenders/earplugs when studying as I need absolute silence, can't concentrate otherwise.

Buster72 Thu 16-May-19 10:14:12

How much notice do you require? A day a week?
And what would you do if you recieved adequate notice? Move to a hotel for the duration? Or buy some earplugs for DS??
YABU.

TheOrigBrave Thu 16-May-19 10:15:46

I've just had 2 days of doors and windows being replaced. I told my nearest neighbours. They also moved their cars so the van could get near to my house.

I like living here.

I work from home and I think my neighbours would give me a nod if it was going to be noisy. I can work wherever there is wifi so can easily decamp to the library.

Bambamber Thu 16-May-19 10:17:07

I know how you feel. My neighbours know I work nights, and didn't bother to let usknow they were having both their back and front garden completely ripped up and paved over. A week of absolute hell, not just the noise but them completely blocking the path to my house. If they let me know I would have arranged to stay elsewhere for the week.

ScreamScreamIceCream Thu 16-May-19 10:17:37

Depends on how well you get on with the neighbours.

I randomly work from home so I don't expect to be told when my neighbours have builders in unless they realise.

However I do expect the builders not to dump things in front of my property without asking me or apologising for doing so when they realise I'm around. The last lot who did that found their items in the middle of the pavement as they went out of their way to avoid me.

squirrelspatchcock Thu 16-May-19 10:19:08

The world may not revolve around you, but a bit of consideration to each other makes it a better place!

Therefore YANBU in my opinion. Would have been considerate to let you know, especially if your properties are close.

I too would have been irritated.

DarlingNikita Thu 16-May-19 10:19:38

I'm very unlikely to remember anyone is doing their A-levels unless I have birth to them.

grin Yes, totally agree.

If a neighbour was having a good few days or more of building work done, I'd like to know (and I'd tell my neighbours if I was) but for a day, I wouldn't be at all upset if someone didn't tell me.

DelphicOracle Thu 16-May-19 10:20:41

YANBU OP - I would always tell neighbours and mine always tell me... ditto if Im having a party / they are going away / hey are going away and having relatives to stay in their house / their baby has been crying alot.... I think its just about kindness.

I have never fallen out with nay of my neighbours about building work or anything.... maybe thats because we talk to them and manage their expectations!

JugglingMummyof2 Thu 16-May-19 10:22:17

YANBU at all - people having building work done, even when they have previously nice normal neighbours, seem to go a bit mad and become unthinking selfish sods. We have had it many many times in our street. Of course it would have been courteous of them to have let you know. And to those suggesting exam taking DC should go to a library or school lots of libraries are closed or have restricted hours, libraries are full of pre-school DC on weekdays(as it should be) and certainly my DC schools only allow access during exam periods when you are taking an exam or between two exams. @Saltysea2001 I have been there and I feel for you.

Purplecatshopaholic Thu 16-May-19 10:30:17

I would let my neighbours know, yes. But we talk all the time so they would know it was coming anyway.

Janedoughnut Thu 16-May-19 10:34:02

You'd think so wouldn't you. But after our next door neighbour having an extention built with the builders just turning up one day without any notice and then 6 months off noise, disruption, being blocked in my drive, rubbish in my garden including broken glass. Not to mention the verbal abuse I got from their builder when I told him not to drill into my house wall. Not once have they apologised for any of the disruption.

Janedoughnut Thu 16-May-19 10:34:45

Of not off.

YetAnotherThing Thu 16-May-19 10:37:08

Agree, YANBU. It’s common courtesy Even if they had no idea you worked from home/exams etc

Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 10:37:58

Thanks for the replies.

Just to reiterate, I absolutely don't think the world revolves around me and I would never suggest they shouldn't do the work.

Of course we can relocate - with a bit of notice, I could have sorted the logistics. DS could have taken his stuff (and some bloody lunch) with him when he left the house this am for his exam rather than schlepping home, collecting his books and heading out again. And I could have done my call this morning somewhere else without an angle grinder backing track.

grin

daisypond Thu 16-May-19 10:40:52

For one day of work, I would not expect to be told. We had months of loud work while neighbours did loft and kitchen extension plus cellar excavation all though my dc A levels and GCSEs. And DH was a shift worker and tended to be asleep during the day. Neighbours did inform us but we still had to live through it . They moved out for six months .

AlbusSeverusMalfoy Thu 16-May-19 10:42:01

Try living next door to a building site. I literally live next to one. My balcony faces it. I see them. They start at 7am monday to saturday and finish at 7pm.. bang bang bloody bang.

Scrumptiousbears Thu 16-May-19 10:42:02

I personally would let you know however I don't understand why you are so angry about it. Life happens.

REDCARBLUE Thu 16-May-19 10:44:23

I dont see the point in informing you. You already know by the noise. Im sure you kid can find a library to study in?

ALargeSliceOfCheesecake Thu 16-May-19 10:45:00

Noise cancelling headphones?

AryaStarkWolf Thu 16-May-19 10:52:39

I would think it's common courtesy to let you know yes, obviously they don't have to but it would be neighbourly to do so

lisalocketlostherpocket Thu 16-May-19 10:52:47

I'm suggesting it would be polite, neighbourly even, to mention predictable noisy building work

Yes it would. What happens if a neighbour works nights?

People are ridiculously noisy.

catsmother Thu 16-May-19 10:53:37

Whatever happened to courtesy? You're not suggesting they don't do the building work at all - you just wanted a heads up so you could have a chance to make alternative arrangements, or, at the very least, get your head round the fact it was going to be noisy. IME, noise is far more tolerable if it's been acknowledged, than when it's been imposed on you without warning.

Not so long ago, our next door neighbours but one buggered off for 5 f****g months while they had an extension built. I don't totally blame them but they didn't say a word to us, or another neighbour affected by the noise and obstruction (end of no through road). As it happens, I work from home and so does the other neighbour. They probably wouldn't have known this but neither could it be ruled out. We only found out when the one neighbour they did tell informed us. And …. tbh it was hellish, made all the worse by the rudeness. We had no way of contacting them to find out how long it was going on for, we had constant issues with builders blocking access and then being very slow to shift their lorries when asked, 'yeah in a minute luv' would turn into 10 or 15 (despite the fact it was possible to park considerately and not block), also hindered using the garden as we were overlooked by their scaffolding, …. before you even get onto the near constant noise, and regular swearing drifting through the window . To cap it all, when they did deign to return, the neighbours had a big 'extension warming' party - more noise!!! - which we weren't informed about or invited to, maybe as a bit of a peace offering or something? Nah ….. nothing, absolutely nothing, cheeky f***g fuckers.

We are having two, just two days worth of very minor work done shortly and will be informing the neighbours. To my mind that's just what you do.

IronManisnotDead Thu 16-May-19 10:55:02

If you can relocate for the duration of the building work then why complain?
My DS is doing his A Levels exams starting next week. We live on a new build where ongoing construction is still happening next to us. I think YABU to expect a courtesy call about it. Get a grip fgs.

WhoKnewBeefStew Thu 16-May-19 10:56:48

That’s the joys of working or studying from home I’m afraid. It’s in the middle of the day, its not like it’s 9pm! I work from home and you just have to accept it if you live with neighbours. I hate school holidays because all the neighbours kids make a noise, but that’s just life I’m afraid.

mydogisthebest Thu 16-May-19 11:02:33

Of course I would let my neighbour know. DH is going to be taking the chimney breast out soon as we will let our neighbour know even though they are both out at work all week. DH is going to do on a weekday because he doesn't feel it fair to make the noise at a weekend.

Some people just have no manners

Myimaginarycathasfleas Thu 16-May-19 11:18:07

I probably would let my neighbours know. However, noisy building work is annoying and disruptive whether you have advance warning or not. You would probably have felt just as cross having to make alternative arrangements.

It's always possible that when the work is done they come round with a bottle of wine and a 'thank you for being understanding' card, as neighbours of ours did.

GabsAlot Thu 16-May-19 11:18:15

I never got notice that an extention was being built next door that went on for ages jsut the way it is sometimes

But then i dont know where they work what they do or if theyre kids are studying

Yabbers Thu 16-May-19 11:19:54

A decent builder is booked weeks, if not months in advance. It’s not like they called them yesterday. And I doubt they have your stuff marked on the calendar.

Buster72 Thu 16-May-19 11:28:41

So your DS was not at home when the work was in progress he was at school doing the exam.?

SlowDown76mph Thu 16-May-19 11:33:34

Of course they should have given you a 'heads-up' about the works - then you could have made alternative plans for work/study. Just basic good manners.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 11:35:00

Gabs no, it's not 'just the way it is' - well, only if you are a doormat. Inconsiderate fuckers get to be inconsiderate all their lives because of this kind of attitude.

Call them out, every time.

The house next to me was gutted twice in pretty quick succession (I unfortunately live on a street where a house can't simply be bought and moved into, it must be remodelled from day 1, usually by people so minted that they rent somewhere else while the work is going on, so zero inconvenience for them), each time it took months and the disruption was substantial to us. They are selling up and I am absolutely dreading the next bunch who will no doubt do the same fucking thing.

HappySonHappyMum Thu 16-May-19 11:35:03

I've never met a builder yet that gives their client a schedule of exactly what work they intend to do over the course of a week...

Gatehouse77 Thu 16-May-19 11:36:46

I guess I would hope they would let me know but would not expect it or think it rude if they didn't.

JacquesHammer Thu 16-May-19 11:37:53

I WFH. Wouldn’t occur to me to expect my neighbours to inform me of any building work.

The likelihood of neighbour-noise is surely one of the potential pitfalls of working from home.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 11:43:49

Jacques I think people are going to have to start being more considerate - WFH is on the rise and, as is always the case, I'm never quite sure I understand why the person causing disruption is always the one that gets their way.

DelphicOracle Thu 16-May-19 11:45:57

Annnnnnnnddddd, judging by at least half of the posts on this thread alone, who dont think communication with others is relevant / kind / a common courtesy - I think we now all know why there are SO many neighbour threads on AIBU grin...

JacquesHammer Thu 16-May-19 11:46:00

I think people are going to have to start being more considerate - WFH is on the rise and, as is always the case, I'm never quite sure I understand why the person causing disruption is always the one that gets their way

The thing is, I’m not sure my neighbours even know I work from home.

In any event, I still think building work is a totally normal, everyday noise.

How do you mean “get their way”. What’s the alternative? Not have the work done? Do it at weekends and then everyone complains it’s noisy at a weekend?

Sure it’s annoying but there’s so many options when WFH to drown it out!

groundcontroltomontydon Thu 16-May-19 11:47:35

I've just been reading about someone licking the mayonnaise off a boiled egg and putting it back in a help-yourself salad so while yanbu, it's not surprising. People are weird. And rude. But mostly weird.

Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 11:47:48

So interesting how views fall into one of two camps.

You know there are something like a dozen questions the answers to which reveal if two people are romantically compatable?! I wonder if this question indicates political inclination, for example?

Saltysea2001 Thu 16-May-19 11:48:50

@DelphicOracle - my thoughts exactly!

outvoid Thu 16-May-19 11:49:26

It is common courtesy but obviously under no obligation. Ear plugs or earphones on full whack should work.

PlinkPlink Thu 16-May-19 11:51:59

Not necessarily.

It is courteous yes. But...

We had some work done on our chimney. I genuinely didnt think he noisy it would be or how far the noise would reverberate to our neighbours.

A day or two later, I knocked on the NDN's door and apologised for the noise. We had a good natter.

In future, I will be letting them know of the noise. It was just an oversight on our part that we didn't think it'd be that noisy.

So yes, it is courteous to let NDN's know but it's not always going to happen.

Do you have a good relationship with your neighbours? That can quite often play a role.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 11:59:27

Jacques well, IME 95% of work done is choice not necessity. You're never going to persuade me that a house needs to be gutted less than 5 years after it's been gutted the first time.

(That's another thing - IME people cause massive disruption for months on end (whilst not being resident) and then sell up just a few years later. It's a fucking hobby - a phenomenally inconsiderate hobby.)

'Get their way' - on MN if someone who isn't disturbing anyone gets upset about someone who is causing disturbance, most of the time the one minding their own business not bothering anyone is told to suck it up and stop thinking the world revolves around them.

JacquesHammer Thu 16-May-19 12:02:53

'Get their way' - on MN if someone who isn't disturbing anyone gets upset about someone who is causing disturbance, most of the time the one minding their own business not bothering anyone is told to suck it up and stop thinking the world revolves around them

It’s kind of true though! I mean there are so many options available to those who work from home on the main. I think people whip themselves up into unnecessary stress over stuff that could have far less impact if they let it smile

(And before anyone asks, no I’ve never had any noisy work done on the house and yes, I mow my lawn and use hedge trimmers after 10am on a weekend wink)

Smolo Thu 16-May-19 12:06:31

How bad can it be? I am currently living on a building site. We're one of the first people to move into a new housing development and live with constant noise six days a week. My house quite literally shakes as excavators go by and today they have dug up the road outside to lay pipes. Both DH and I work from home and have not found it a problem. A lot of my work is phone based too.

CherryBlossom23 Thu 16-May-19 12:12:38

I work from home and live on the middle floor of a block of flats, so arguably noise travels more than it would from the neighbours semi detached/detached house. None of my neighbours have ever given me notice of when there will be noisy home improvement work being carried out, I only realise when the drilling starts. I think you are being precious OP.

BlueCornishPixie Thu 16-May-19 12:24:45

I think that while it is courtesy to let a neighbour know, I do think that building work happens, and as long as it's in the the day you can't really complain. It's just part of living next to people.

For one day I don't think I would be too annoyed, but I probably would have given you a heads up.

Dottierichardson Thu 16-May-19 12:41:44

YANBU we always tell neighbours on either side if we’re having building work done, and they tell us, it’s common courtesy. It’s less annoying if you know when it’s going to happen and if you know how long it’s going to go on for – plus as you said there’s the option of going out while it’s happening. As a result, we have no problems with our neighbours and vice versa. We all have each others’ mobile contact details, all it takes is a quick text.

BlueSkiesLies Thu 16-May-19 13:36:24

If you work from home you accept it isn’t a sanitised office environment.

Wear headphones. Go to a cafe/library. Whatever. People are perfectly entitled to do noisy building work on their houses.

Needallthesleep Thu 16-May-19 14:01:49

I get that it’s annoying, but I have no idea what building work will be noisy and what won’t be. We did some minor renovations last year that I thought would be quiet and unobtrusive, but turned out to be pretty impactful. And this year we are doing major work which so far is very quiet and dust free.

Veryangryvicuna Thu 16-May-19 14:09:01

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable. When we got noisy building work done, we went round to our immediate neighbours and let them know well in advance. I didn’t know them all that well - didn’t realise that one of them worked nights so slept during the day, but in going round to tell them about the work, we found out...

There wasn’t a lot we could do to make the work quieter, but they at least had warning of the work. Really the least we could do.

TheFlis12345 Thu 16-May-19 14:11:55

If it is just one day then they may not have had a lot of notice. For smaller jobs our builder often used to just fit us in when he had time (usually when materials for a major job were delayed). A couple of times he called us late in the evening to ask if he could come over the next day so we couldn’t have given neighbours notice.

UnicornDust9 Thu 16-May-19 14:14:28

Wouldn’t even cross my mind to let a neighbor know I had building work planned

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Thu 16-May-19 14:15:09

If you work from home you accept it isn’t a sanitised office environment.

I really agree with this. With more and more people choosing to use their home as a workplace, I think they need to understand that nobody else needs to plan around this.

A note through the door apologising for the noise would be polite, but not particularly because someone works from home.

shrill Thu 16-May-19 14:18:53

Does anyone ever think about those who work nights and therefore need a good day's sleep? It's part of life. Do those who work from home ever show consideration for those who do not when they have visitors and deliveries etc or are working as a child minder and have little ones play in their garden? It's all part of life.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 14:31:11

Do those who work from home ever show consideration for those who do not when they have visitors and deliveries etc

errr - what? If I'm working from home I don't have visitors! And I end up taking in loads of deliveries for neighbours who are working out of the home!

What am I meant to be showing consideration for here, if I work from home?

JustTwoMoreSecs Thu 16-May-19 14:35:05

@WeepingWillowWeepingWino you seem annoyed that people that do major work move out until the work is done. What would it change for you if they didn’t?? You do realize you can’t really live in a house hlf built for obvious safety reasons?

catsmother Thu 16-May-19 14:37:02

I'm still agog at the number of posters who blithely declare they'd not prewarn neighbours about building noise. As someone who's worked entirely from home for over a decade I fully accept my neighbours might want to improve or repair their homes every so often but there's a big psychological difference when you know - roughly - how long it's going to take because there's a light at the end of the tunnel and you might be able to make alternative arrangements for some of that time. Being unable to open your windows in the height of summer because you're trying to minimise noise and not having a clue when it's going to be finished is another thing entirely.

JacquesHammer Thu 16-May-19 14:37:24

Do those who work from home ever show consideration for those who do not when they have visitors and deliveries

I have no visitors in terms of work - all my meetings are done outside the home. Deliveries? No more than any other household except I'm mostly in all day so no neighbours usually are asked to take in my parcels grin

catsmother Thu 16-May-19 14:39:59

My work from home has absolutely no impact on any of my neighbours. In fact it benefits them because I'm forever taking in their parcels .... including the CFs I mentioned before.

Weepingwillow5 Thu 16-May-19 14:43:13

I would let my neighbours know if we had noisy work going on

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 15:06:34

Just of course I'm annoyed - I have all the disruption and they have none. How the fuck is that fair or just? For months - in the case of one house on our street for 2 years.

I wonder if these people understand how much they are failing to ingratiate themselves with their community?

Back in the day you'd buy a house (not a property; a house, a home) and do it up slowly as and when it needed doing. We have had, in the 15 years we've lived here, 2 weeks spent on the kitchen, 2-3 weeks spent on the bathroom and a few days here and there on the roof. Not 6 solid months' work, involving nightmare builders doing stuff like digging a fucking great hole in our garden. And then it's sold and it gets done again, another 6 months work.

But now people don't just want a home, do they?

Di11y Thu 16-May-19 15:13:31

YANBU my ndn told me early ish one morning he was having his boiler replaced on adjoining wall. changed my plans from WFH to being in the office. simple courtesy and much appreciated.

JustTwoMoreSecs Thu 16-May-19 15:14:21

I get it @WeepingWillowWeepingWino , I habe been on the receiving end (and never been the one dog the work!) but rationally it doesn’t change a thing for them to move out or not...

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 15:25:48

oh, sure, but it would certainly make me feel better if I knew they were suffering too!

Witchend Thu 16-May-19 15:54:19

Dd's doing Alevels this term. I don't think any of her friends have had exams yet and study leave only starts next week, so it wouldn't occur to me to consider Alevels this week.

SpecterLitt Thu 16-May-19 21:39:48

I've lived in London all my life and never have I or friends and family given notice to neighbours regarding work that would be carried out. All neighbours just get on with their things and adhere to standard times so that no one is disrupted with noise after 5/6pm.

If it's bothering you, ask them how long and make arrangements if it's so vital. Only on MN have I heard this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »