Talk

Advanced search

That my dd’s school show them cert 15 films at 13/14?

(87 Posts)
Geraniumpink Wed 15-May-19 23:03:38

As the title says. Is this usual at other schools? She’s about to watch ‘Dead Man Walking’ as part of her English class. They’ve already seen ‘The Pianist’ last term in History.

LadyRannaldini Sat 18-May-19 16:58:22

They will have heard it all before.

Or read it on MN!

LolaSmiles Fri 17-May-19 19:54:45

In that case OP the film choice is totally inappropriate.

There are many justifiable reasons to use film. That's not it though.

Poetry about homelessness sounds like another vague and pointless unit with almost no good texts. In fact, I can probably predict what film they'll shoehorn into that topic too.

I'll be honest, that extra bit of information makes me think that's a department not making good decisions.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Fri 17-May-19 19:39:50

No non-fiction books to look at then?

Sorry, but this sounds like nonsense. English as a subject is about the written language. Study films in Film Studies. If anyone’s ever actually needs to study Spider-Man, which I doubt.

Geraniumpink Fri 17-May-19 18:08:30

They weren’t studying a book. They were looking at various serial killers. I think it was a non- fiction unit. They are moving on to poetry about the homeless after half-term.

DanielRicciardosSmile Fri 17-May-19 12:15:04

@GoodbyeBlueMonday our English teacher did the same (on an old Betamax iirc). We thought it was hilarious, I particularly remember the viewpoint of the severed head as a highlight of the film. DS is doing Macbeth for GCSE - wonder if I should track down a copy? wink

GoodbyeBlueMonday Fri 17-May-19 07:47:50

My English teacher showed us Roman Polanski's Macbeth when we were 13/14. Everybody just laughed at the nudie bits. Looking back, she was always a bit subversive, but as far as I am aware no one was scarred for life. It was a bit of a rough school right enough. I don't think it is majorly inappropriate if it does have some educational value.

PookieDo Fri 17-May-19 07:42:43

On another note neither want to go see The Sign of Four at the local theatre

But DD1 did eventually get into Inspector Calls. With effort. They played Sherlock to them and she really liked that

PookieDo Fri 17-May-19 07:40:58

My DD’s love the Baz Lurman version
Totally agree it’s to watch not to READ. It’s a play...
So they would have learnt about it anyway but as an additional bonus they also got to see a very dramatic, exciting version of R&J which is one of their favourite films. All performed in Shakespearean language. What is not to like about that?

Storkbloom Fri 17-May-19 07:37:55

mean, sure, tell the kids there’s a film of the book if they want to watch it but why make it part of the actual

Most in my English class hated Shakespeare. They found it boring. I think showing the film will get some of the less interested kids interested. Sure, a play will get some of them, but a lot of students do not watch plays and would never go to a theatre. What is wrong with trying to make the material in some way accessible to the ones who shun Shakespeare/theatre?

Storkbloom Fri 17-May-19 07:33:48

We watched Schindlers List in English

LolaSmiles Fri 17-May-19 07:29:38

Everything they’ve done this year in English has been about violence. I just don’t think it’s particularly healthy.
Lots of literature is (in differing amounts) about love, sex, heartbreak, conflict, violence, death and every other topic linked in some way to human suffering.

Spiderman and crime and punishment sounds like a tenuous link and not a good teaching decision to me, but I think you'll need to chill out a bit on the whole.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Fri 17-May-19 07:10:55

And the book in question in the OP? Which isn’t a play? Spider-Man???

Blueemeraldagain Fri 17-May-19 00:55:05

Why make [the book- in this case (Romeo and Juliet?) play] part of the actual class? Because plays are meant to be watched not read! That is very much and entirely the point of plays! Students will lose marks when writing about a play if they refer to a “reader” as plays are not written for readers but for viewers! It would be wonderful if every secondary school had the time/money/staffing/availability to take every KS4 class to see a live and useful version of whichever play they are studying but that is not the reality of education in state secondaries in 2019 and a combination of Baz Luhrman and Zeffirelli does a pretty good job.

clairemcnam Fri 17-May-19 00:34:17

An 11 year old girl should know what the word rape means though.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 21:59:01

sandy maybe have a read of this www.victimfocus.org.uk/campaigns

Spudina Thu 16-May-19 21:58:35

I was watching cert 15 and 18 horrors at sleepovers at that age. Some of the best nights of my life!

Sandy50 Thu 16-May-19 21:52:27

Yeah, let's go back a few hours. It is meant to be.

SirVixofVixHall Thu 16-May-19 21:50:57

She didn’t hear about it, the film showed a woman being attacked.
Of course actual rape is worse than viewing an actress playing the part of someone being raped.
That doesn’t alter the fact that seeing a film in school, of a simulated sexual assault, was really distressing for an 11 year old girl.

Sandy50 Thu 16-May-19 21:50:56

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Noooo, education, awareness and understanding had nothing to do wkth using resources designed to achieve these things...

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 21:33:19

Absolutely none of that has anything to do with showing CSE films to children.

Sandy50 Thu 16-May-19 21:22:39

SirVix "No" I didn't say she should HAVE to watch it, but that you were stating the bleeding obvious saying it was 'upsetting'. Rape is upsetting. And depictions can be triggering for victims. And of course the whole rape culture and victim blaming we see in society shouldn't be perpetuated. But if your Dd didn't even know what rape was, then she hadn't been educated on it, and I don't agree that it's something children should know nothing about, especially those starting secondary school.

Regardless of the campaign you're referring to (where it's stated that if 1 in 3 adults recall sexual abuse as a child, then 33‰ of a school audience would have already suffered... which isn't statistically accurate, as it wouldn't necessarily have happened before the age they were exposed to the issue, and might be less likely to happen as a result of better knowledge of risks!), knowing the dangers is of the utmost importance; not because children have the responsibility to prevent abuse, but to learn about the world, including having empathy for and demonstrating the right treatment of others.

You've used words like 'traumatising' and 'horrendous' and I can assure you these apply more to the actual experience of being raped than hearing about it. I certainly don't think for a second that anyone should be blamed for not being able to stop it happening to them, but it is categorically wrong to assert that there is no point in being aware and taking steps to be safer than an alternative. Have you never told Dd to stay in a group with others if she can, instead of walking alone? Lock the door at night to prevent strangers getting in? Not your fault if it doesn't stop someone else's behaviour, but still sensible.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 21:17:46

That is a tenuous bloody link if ever I saw one. They couldn’t find a single age appropriate text to study that theme? Really?

Iamnobirdandnonetensnaresme Thu 16-May-19 21:14:11

Our primary showed a 12a to ks2 last year- not a happy bunny

Geraniumpink Thu 16-May-19 21:10:53

Spider-Man - because they were doing a unit about crime and punishment. Dd’s group got to watch Dead Man Walking instead. They’ve also studied the handmaid’s tale this year (extracts), although they haven’t watched the film. Everything they’ve done this year in English has been about violence. I just don’t think it’s particularly healthy.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 21:03:07

SirVix that’s good to hear. Jessica is amazing, a real shero.

pointy Schindler’s List isn’t even an especially accurate adaptation of the book.

I don’t know, I’m sure I’m just an old fuddy duddy but for me it really doesn’t say much about the quality of the teaching if Leonardo di Caprio mangling Shakespeare’s poetry is what’s needed to understand and enjoy Romeo and Juliet. Film adaptations are rarely as good as the original, and even when they are good so much of the book is automatically lost, and at the end of the day the book is what’s meant to be being studied. I mean, sure, tell the kids there’s a film of the book if they want to watch it but why make it part of the actual class?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »