Talk

Advanced search

That my dd’s school show them cert 15 films at 13/14?

(87 Posts)
Geraniumpink Wed 15-May-19 23:03:38

As the title says. Is this usual at other schools? She’s about to watch ‘Dead Man Walking’ as part of her English class. They’ve already seen ‘The Pianist’ last term in History.

DanielRicciardosSmile Thu 16-May-19 11:23:01

It wouldn't bother me to be honest. I think in both English and History, a good film can be a great way of bringing a book or an event to life.

Bookworm4 Thu 16-May-19 11:24:18

Seriously? Does your little angel have internet access? I doubt she's running everythibg by Mummy 🙄
Certification is a guideline, doubt 14 yr olds are being traumatised by a 15 movie.

Areyoufree Thu 16-May-19 11:37:36

The ratings are kind of irrelevant - it depends more on the films. For example, Jaws is a PG, but I wouldn't let my primary school aged kids watch it. I doubt there are many schools that would let teenagers watch something that was genuinely disturbing. However, the kind of books that are read in school can be far more graphic - The Color Purple, Lord of the Flies, Beloved etc. I think it's good to be aware of the types of films and books they are being exposed to - especially if they have questions about them - but I wouldn't worry about them being shown 15 certificate films.

PregnantSea Thu 16-May-19 12:40:17

I wouldn't give it a second thought

Geraniumpink Thu 16-May-19 16:44:49

Alright, thanks all. As it seems to be the usual thing I will just let them get on with it. I was checking because a few of the primary schools I have worked in are very strict about ratings, so I was a bit surprised that it doesn’t apply at secondary.

kalopali Thu 16-May-19 17:11:43

It doesn’t matter that they are watching it with a supervising adult - the supervising adult is breaking the law.

As a parent I can show my 10 year old an 18 cert DVD if I choose. Not that I would, but certainly wouldn’t be breaking the law.

Sandy50 Thu 16-May-19 17:36:37

SirVix Dd was shown a CSE film at school depicting rape when she was 11 and was really upset and shocked.

That's because it's really upsetting and shocking. People should be really upset and shocked about it. And educated, rather than shielded.

ThomasShelbysBunnet Thu 16-May-19 17:40:11

Well, when I was a first year (so maybe just turned 12) our R.E. teacher was spectacularly shit. Pretty sure he just let us watch Terminator most weeks.

Gth1234 Thu 16-May-19 17:42:27

Cert 15 films often have appalling language.

Anyway, schools should not be breaking the law. There are plenty of eminently watchable 12s, PGs and Us. (Are these still the classifications?)

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 17:48:41

Sandy no, CSE films should not be used ever. See Dr Jessica Eaton's work on this subject. Showing an 11 year old a depiction of rape is not educational, FFS.

LolaSmiles Thu 16-May-19 17:49:56

As others have said, schools aren't breaking the law. It's good to exercise professional judgement on what you show and when.

bbfc.co.uk/education-resources/teacher-guide/teacher-faqs#2

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Thu 16-May-19 17:50:25

Gth1234 Yes, but as the examination papers will have questions on the set texts/films, it won't help the kids much to have watched all those 'suitable' films hmm

JuniperNarni Thu 16-May-19 17:52:55

If you think that a cert 15 film has appalling language and believe that is a reason not to let a 14 year old watch it, then I don't believe you've ever set foot on a school playground. They will have heard it all before.

Geraniumpink Thu 16-May-19 17:55:36

There was no particular reason to be showing a 15 - it was topic work about crime. The other groups watched Spider-Man.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 16-May-19 17:57:30

FFS. Why on earth are they watching Spider-Man at school?

Dungeondragon15 Thu 16-May-19 17:58:43

I would either trust the schools judgement or watch the film and decide for yourself. Going on the certificate is a bit mindless. Something might be a 15 because it is unsuitable for some 12 year olds. It might be fine for the great majority of 14 year olds.

UCOinanOCG Thu 16-May-19 17:59:46

These are films specifically chosen to complement the coursework, not films they pop on during wet playtime or whatever. The teachers watch with them and they discuss the content and the language etc. It is fine if done appropriately.

Dungeondragon15 Thu 16-May-19 18:02:46

As someone above has mentioned I would worry more about the books they are reading. I remember DD laughing about the fact that a shop prevented her from buying a certificate 15 DVD when she was 17 (she didn't have ID) but they had no problem with her buying 50 shades of grey.

titchy Thu 16-May-19 18:05:06

Anyone read or seen Shakespeare recently? Murder galore, under age sex, weirdos dressing up, supernatural creatures presented as normal, swearing, sexual innuendo. Should be banned from all schools, banned I tell you....

maddy68 Thu 16-May-19 18:05:08

Because it's on the GCSE syllabus the content is the same as in the books.

maddy68 Thu 16-May-19 18:06:27

Schools do not have to comply with the law. It's an opt out for educational purposes

Userplusnumbers Thu 16-May-19 18:09:24

The age rating for a DVD, video or Blu-ray explains which audience we believe the film is suitable for, and applies to point of sale or rental rather than to where the material is viewed. It is not actually illegal for schools to show BBFC-rated videos, DVDs or Blu-rays to its pupils of any age, just as parents may also choose to show any material to children in the home. Merely showing an age-restricted film to underaged persons - or allowing them to see one outside a licensed cinema - is not in itself an offence.

Not breaking the law, and honestly, they're reading the texts as well surely?

flyingspaghettimonster Thu 16-May-19 18:14:34

I don't like them showing these films to younger kids. We were made to watch Schindler's list in year 9 history. It horrified me so much I couldn't properly and ended uo giving up history, a subject I had loved, for geography that didn't interest me at all, because I couldn't handle seeing more films like it. A few years later I watched the movie again and was ready to learn about the subject properly, but at 13 I was not. No reason those things can't be studied later on, in year 11.

FunkyKingston Thu 16-May-19 18:15:23

YANBU - they should only be ahowing them 18 certificates. How will they appreciate say, Tolkien's work if they've not seen Lord of the G Strings with Dildo Baggins the Throbit.

clairemcnam Thu 16-May-19 18:18:59

When I studied these texts at school, we did not usually see them on film. We just read and studied the book. So why do they need to see the film?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »