Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else get “fixated” on a celebrity?

(277 Posts)
Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 17:01:51

Does anyone else get weirdly intense crushes on celebrities? I’m not even sure if crush is the right word but I go through phases where I watch everything an actors ever been in, read their interviews, that kind of thing. I’ve used the word fixated in the title because I can’t really think of how to describe it.

At the moment it’s Richard Armitage, it isn’t even a fancying him thing I just really really like him as a person. I’ve watched every interview, downloaded audio books, watched some utterly terrible films just because he’s in them..

Does anyone else do this? My friends never seem to (I don’t really talk about it though) and I was wondering if IABU to ask if other people do this too..? I mean obviously most celebrities have a fan base so it can’t be that unusual. I just feel a bit odd, like nobody else does this. It’s happens a few times a year with different people, I’m very fickle grin

FenellaVelour Sun 12-May-19 17:06:30

Yeah, all the time. Not in a super weird stalky way, but more in the way that I seek out their work and read their interviews online.

Seen everything that Cillian Murphy and Domhnall Gleason have done, for example.

FenellaVelour Sun 12-May-19 17:06:50

*Gleeson (autocorrect!)

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 17:09:04

Domhnall gleeson was one of mine a few months ago, there’s another person who seems lovely.

I don’t do it in a weird stalky way either just to be clear grin, nobody knows about it until they look at my Netflix “continue watching” list and find it clogged with Richard Armitage crap 😂

APurpleSquirrel Sun 12-May-19 17:21:24

Me! Current one is Chris Evans (American actor) as I saw Avengers Endgame on Monday.
Lol I thought I was the only one who did this too.

SrSteveOskowski Sun 12-May-19 17:23:34

Domhnall Gleeson is supposed to be a very nice guy. I've met Brendan (his dad) a few times and he's always been lovely.

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 17:26:22

There’s nothing better than hearing your celeb crush is a nice person 😂 like getting a good school report on your child.

Gingervitis Sun 12-May-19 17:29:24

Yep, my current one is Rami Malek. I've had to go cold turkey otherwise I'll be watching you tube for hours.

Treaclepie19 Sun 12-May-19 17:31:35

I do. I've read lots on here about people who are similar.
I'm obsessive by nature and it's a bit of a pain.

Smileyaxolotl1 Sun 12-May-19 17:33:37

Yes I do - it was Richard Armitage for a long while - there is a group called the Armitage Army who are all similarly obsessed.
I was also obsessed with Allen Leech from Downton Abbey for a while.

Smileyaxolotl1 Sun 12-May-19 17:34:28

treaclepie yes me too - I’m the same about films, historical events etc

Gwenhwyfar Sun 12-May-19 17:36:11

How can you like him as a person if you don't know him?
This is so alien to me. I'm not interested in any celebrities. I find it so odd when people say they want to see a film because so-and-so is in it. What's that got to do with whether I'll like the film or not?

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 17:36:30

I know all about the Armitage army, I think they’re the reason there’s so much info available on him as they’re such a dedicated bunch (I also got stuck down a rabbit hole with huge speculation about his personal life that many people seemed very cross about).

I’m an obsessive person too - when I was a teenager I was obsessed with Doctor Who and that lasted years. That was really all consuming but I’ve managed to tone it down now and just have sensible crushes 😂

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 17:40:19

About liking him as a person but not knowing him (I’m crap at tagging) I guess it’s more that I like the way he conducts himself and is very articulate, rather than just fancying him because he’s pretty? Obviously have no idea what he’s really like. I think it’s quite a common thing to form attatchments to celebrities, it’s fantastic PR for them for a start so they try and be as charismatic as possible.

Treaclepie19 Sun 12-May-19 17:57:49

@Smileyaxolotl1 its so strange isn't it?
I'll look back at times when I've been obsessed over a TV show or something and just think, wow.

TinselAndKnickers Sun 12-May-19 18:01:55

All the bloody time. Last week Shawn Mendes, this week Zac Efron!

PookieDo Sun 12-May-19 18:11:40

Shawn Mendes here too but then we just went to his concert and he has released some new music and an ad campaign I blame DD1

borntobequiet Sun 12-May-19 18:20:45

Surely this is how celebrity “works”. I expect before mass media it was gods, demigods, saints, royalty and so forth

NeitherNowtNorSummat01 Sun 12-May-19 18:29:26

For me, it’s Tom Holland. He’s amazing, and delicious and I’m old enough to be his mother

Sakura7 Sun 12-May-19 18:33:06

I get this, but for me it's usually sportspeople and musicians rather than actors. Most notable and longstanding one is Rafa Nadal.

Seashell80 Sun 12-May-19 18:42:18

Aah the weirdly intense celebrity crush! I have them regularly although going through a bit of a dry spell at presentgrin
The Orlando Bloom phase lasted quite a while!

PookieDo Sun 12-May-19 18:48:30

@NeitherNowtNorSummat01

My DD met him briefly
She also adores him

PintOfBovril Sun 12-May-19 18:51:38

Yes, I have a huge crush on Martin Compston from Line of Duty. I had to mute his Instagram as it was getting too distracting! I blame pregnancy hormones...blush

AdamAntsCrackpotHistory Sun 12-May-19 19:02:15

Oh yes, me too. As long as it's not dodgy stalking and obsessiveness (ie it gets in the way of your life) then it's totally harmless, in my opinion! No prizes for guessing who my crush is on.... (and has been since 1980!!)...🤣🤣🤣🤣

DanielRicciardosSmile Sun 12-May-19 19:05:18

I had a brief obsession with Mark Webber, but then I had a dream that I was on a bus with him and he was being horrible to my friend because she'd asked her 16-year-old daughter to put the dustbin out, and I went off him a bit. 😄

DanielRicciardosSmile Sun 12-May-19 19:06:27

@AdamAntsCrackpotHistory Sidney Poitier? wink

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 19:10:13

I had a dream Richard Armitage called me a bitch and I was weirdly angry for about 20 minutes 😂

Purplemond Sun 12-May-19 19:20:59

i often get fixation with some celebrities, mostly actors so i will search through their IMDb page to watch whatever they have been in. I must have a type though as most seemed to have been in either silent witness, vera or some related crime drama as a one off

Pinkblanket Sun 12-May-19 20:26:17

Yes. My current ones are Keeley Hawes and Tom Hiddleston.

Mari50 Sun 12-May-19 20:35:32

I used to and it was often quite all consuming. Started with mark hamill when I was 5 and has meandered through stars such as John Taylor from Duran Duran, Michael j Fox, Michael hutchence, Tim Burgess, Robbie Williams back to Tim Burgess with some Joaquin Phoenix for good measure then I had my daughter and fixated on her....... my fixations are a lot more in control now I think.....the fact that Tim Burgess has aged so ‘unusually’ probably cured me.

Giantsbane Sun 12-May-19 20:39:54

Richard Armitage is soo sexy. Even as a dwarf 😂

Luckypoppy Sun 12-May-19 20:40:50

I was just about to reply yes Richard Armitage then read your post! blush

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 20:43:44

I think there’s just something about Richard Armitage that gets a lot of people, he has the most intense group of fans I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen a lot of fandoms. I love his voice, it’s just so relaxing

NuffSaidSam Sun 12-May-19 20:45:35

Me too!

Sometimes actresses ( I don't know why but hardly ever male actors!), but most often comedians. I could answer Mastermind questions on Tina Fey or Jennifer Saunders.

TiredSloth Sun 12-May-19 20:53:41

Yes. When I was in my teens I obsessively watched all Benicio Del Toro films. More recently it has been Tom Hardy and Bradley Cooper.

After actress Brittany Murphy died I was obsessed with everything about her for a long time. Movies, interviews, her beautiful singing voice etc. Thinking about her now still makes me sad.

CoffeeMilkNoSugar Sun 12-May-19 21:18:20

Currently crushing on Damso. THAT VOICE is magical. (vide Dieu ne ment jamais) AAARGHH. So yeah, I totally get it.

Onceuponacheesecake Sun 12-May-19 21:23:33

I did as a teenager. Viggo mortensen, Wentworth Miller, Johnny Depp (Ew) blush No one has taken my fancy for a while grin

GertrudeCB Sun 12-May-19 21:26:26

I tend to have a dream with a celebrity in then fancy them. Quite odd really blush

fudgesmummy Sun 12-May-19 21:31:04

Yes,
Paul Simon (as in Simon and Garfunkel) blush
I have read every interview he has ever given and watch his performances on YouTube daily!
I feel I know him personally 😂

captainprincess Sun 12-May-19 21:32:23

@Onceuponacheesecake are you me grinand yep eww about Johnny Depp now....but back in the day grin

Triglesoffy Sun 12-May-19 21:32:59

It isn’t stalking. It’s research

famousfour Sun 12-May-19 21:34:15

Had to google Richard Armitage - realise I watched north and south eons ago. What has he been in since?

As a teen I had crushes on river Phoenix and then later Benicio del Toro but not really since that I recall. I’m just not that interested In celebs any more.

NoSauce Sun 12-May-19 21:35:57

Sarah Lancashire. I think she’s marvellous. As Catherine Cawood in Happy Valley she reminds me of myself. Shouty, tough with a soft centre.

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 21:37:06

He was a lead character in the hobbit, he’s worked pretty consistently since north and south. Vicar of Dibley, Spooks, various military shows like strike back, he was Anne hathaway’s love interest in oceans 8. He doesn’t half do some rubbish though.

CrinolineQueen Sun 12-May-19 21:37:12

Maybe it's a thing where subconsciously you're replacing a real relationship with a celebrity crush instead because it's safer. I had this a couple of times, once with Edward Norton and then with Jerome Flynn (what the fuck?!) and then it ends and I never think about them again. I think both episodes may have been during periods where I was feeling a bit bruised and I just wanted an imaginary lover who could never let me down! grin

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 22:09:28

Ooh I’ve never thought of it like that. I did that once, got a crazy crush on the actor Richard rankin that lasted yonks (I like Richards apparently). Right now everything’s really good in my personal life so I don’t know where this has come from😂

Livedandlearned Mon 13-May-19 07:33:21

I do this. Currently Andrew Scott.

bushtailadventures Mon 13-May-19 07:41:38

The first time I felt we really needed the internet was just after I saw an episode of Law & Order Criminal Intent, because of the actor in the lead role! How did we manage before the internet? The 'fixation' on Vincent D'onofrio lasted a good few years too, although it has got less intense over time. I have passed the ability to fixate on to my eldest dd though...not sure it's a good thing though.

Ginger1982 Mon 13-May-19 07:42:32

Yup, I have a number of DVDs in obscure languages (with English audio) because I have had a 'thing' for a particular actor at a particular time and have felt the need to see everything they've ever done! 😆

Ginger1982 Mon 13-May-19 07:43:22

@bushtailadventures Vincent has been one of mine in the past too!

CarrieErbag Mon 13-May-19 07:45:52

Another Vincent fan here.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 08:09:42

My dvd collection is bursting with past obsessions 😂 I bought the dvd of north and south just to have a deleted scene which is literally just one extra line of dialogue from the scene where mr Thornton proposes. Worth every penny 😂

reytmardy Mon 13-May-19 13:16:32

Only when in character - Kylo Ren

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 13:39:50

I love hearing everyone’s intense crushes. I totally get kylo ren. I had a similar thing about Loki from Thor. Not Tom hiddlestone, just Loki.

Bravelurker Mon 13-May-19 14:19:22

Lol at not knowing who Richard Armitage was, googling him and then realised I did this only last week when I was watching him in Berlin Station. I become fixated for the length of the series and then move on to someone else.

Last month was Martin Compton, last week was Steven Graham, 2 months ago was 2 of the actors from Umbrella Academy - I miss some of show after falling down a Google rabbit hole.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 14:26:35

I think you’d be better off missing Berlin station, I hated it 😂 only watched it for him. The fake American accents were a bit painful for me..

reytmardy Mon 13-May-19 14:33:09

Crazycatlady10 who can resist a tall powerful man with big brown eyes and black hair ? and Loki is just wonderful( long dark hair also! )

happyhillock Mon 13-May-19 14:35:05

I have a friend who has a framed photo of John Lennon in her living room i asked her why? She said nice guy i love him, really do you know him? Dont understand it, weird.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 14:38:02

The framed picture makes me think of the vicar of Dibley with her framed pic of Sean bean 😂

Tall dark and handsome is definitely my type

reytmardy Mon 13-May-19 14:38:09

🤩

Bunnyhop1502 Mon 13-May-19 14:41:47

@reytmardy I will fight you for him with my limited edition Kylo Ren lightsaber.

God, he’s sexy blush

reytmardy Mon 13-May-19 14:43:09

I literally had a Cineworld unlimited card for this 😀

Bunnyhop1502 Mon 13-May-19 14:44:25

Have you seen the behind the scenes training videos where he’s wearing a VEST AND LEATHER TROUSERS??

I swear I’m usually a normal person.

FishCanFly Mon 13-May-19 14:48:51

Got a massive thing for Ron Perlman since Sons of Anarchy, even shelled out an outrageous sum of money for events to meet him blush

holibab Mon 13-May-19 14:52:15

I've for it for RA and have since North and South.

I even suffered through the misery that is the Crucible to see him on stage once.

I also have it in a bigger dose for Colin Morgan and have since about 2010. I've seen him in every play he's been in since then, including being at the first night of All My Sons last week - another sodding Arthur Miller.

I'm happy with these 2 tbh and really hope I don't find a new obsession ☹️

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 14:52:19

Was it worth it when you met him, @FishCanFly? grin

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 14:56:05

God the crucible is miserable, I loved him back then but couldn’t bring myself to go and see it. I wish he’d do a musical (go look for the video of him in Cats if you haven’t seen it..) but he seems to loathe them so doubt that will ever happen

reytmardy Mon 13-May-19 14:56:48

Ok, last one .....

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 15:02:42

The Vincent d'Onofrio chat has reminded me that I had a mini fixation on the bald guy from Law & Order LA.

FishCanFly Mon 13-May-19 15:04:58

Was it worth it when you met him, @FishCanFly?

oh absolutely blush he's absolutely gorgeous. His eyes - unreal. Also he's such a sweetie

GodDammitAmy Mon 13-May-19 15:05:03

He was AMAZING in the Crucible!

TheTitOfTheIceberg Mon 13-May-19 15:05:37

I even suffered through the misery that is the Crucible to see him on stage once.

Me too holibab. I saw Goody Armitage with the Devil.

I've gone off RA a bit now and am currently fixated on Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. I think I know his Wiki page off by heart blush.

I had a brief flirtation with Benedict Cumberbatch (not IRL, sadly grin ) around the early days of Sherlock. Now there are some seriously batshit fans...some of the theories and comments about his wife were vile.

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 15:09:16

Benedict Cumberbatch fans are nuttier than squirrel poo! What is it about him that inspires such devotion in people to the extent that it sends them totally crackers! grin

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 15:11:21

oh absolutely blush he's absolutely gorgeous. His eyes - unreal. Also he's such a sweetie

That's good. It would be such a disappointment to meet the object of your celebrity affections only for them to be a total arse!

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 15:11:36

Are they really worse than the Armitage army?! I’ve never seen such fury as the comments left about the whole Lee Pace rumour thing.

Tillygetsit Mon 13-May-19 15:13:26

Definitely NOT a crush but I've become morbidly fascinated with Ted Bundy. That man was one smart psychopath!

FilthyforFirth Mon 13-May-19 15:14:24

Me! Current obsession is Brett Dier (Michael from JTV). I always read up on them, follow them on insta etc. Doesnt last long until I'm on to the next one!

CoolCarrie Mon 13-May-19 15:18:41

Keanu Reeves! Watched nearly all of his films, love rewatching his interviews on Graham Norton as it always seem to have a good time, although the last time he was on he seemed tired. I have never read a bad word about him, and he certainly isn’t great actor , but he can be good, in films like The Lake House, nothing to demanding!
Timothy Dalton was / is another constant crush of mine.

EyeDrops Mon 13-May-19 15:22:15

Mine was Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey... I was in waaaay deep. I don't have the time so much for it now, but I still love him. No-one else has come close in the fixated/obsession stakes!

JonSnowsFurCoat Mon 13-May-19 15:22:47

Yep. Slightly obsessing about Seth Rogen at the moment as I’m re-watching Freaks And Geeks. I’ve wztched all his interviews on YouTube and downloaded loads of his movies.

I’m all a lifelong obsessive Daniel Day Lewis fan. Know everything (not much!) about him that’s on google.

I do have an obsessive personality though. It’s getting better as I’m getting older though

TitusAndromedom Mon 13-May-19 15:26:09

Yes. Dan Levy from Schitt’s Creek at the moment. Made worse because he’s gay. But he’s so funny and talented and attractive.

TheTitOfTheIceberg Mon 13-May-19 15:28:17

Are they really worse than the Armitage army?! I’ve never seen such fury as the comments left about the whole Lee Pace rumour thing.

Oh, some of the comments about BC's wedding/wife/baby were amongst the craziest stuff I've ever seen grown women write on t'internet - proper tinfoil hat conspiracy theory stuff.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 15:37:29

Gosh it’s weird the stuff that goes on when you’re not in a fandom, never even realised there was any conspiracy at all!

PrincessDaff Mon 13-May-19 15:39:24

My current stalking victim is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime from game of thrones) I am obsessed with him at the minute! Definitely one of the most attractive men I have ever seen and I have only just realised haha my partner thinks I am insane!

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 15:46:55

Game of thrones has so many gorgeous people on it. I love Lena Heady, I think she’s amazing.

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 15:47:25

Cumberbatch fans have OPINIONS about whether his wife is in fact holding him hostage. grin

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 15:49:42

They looked very happy last night at the tv baftas, not as I’d imagine a hostage...!

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 15:52:57

Was he happy, or did she have a tiny pistol pointed at his heart ordering him to smile?

BlackPrism Mon 13-May-19 15:53:51

Sorry no, I do occasionally with historical figures but I couldn't really care less about living celebrities.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 16:02:18

😂😂😂 who knew such a normal looking woman would be a criminal mastermind

TheTitOfTheIceberg Mon 13-May-19 16:04:28

Excellent taste there PrincessDaff, even if it does mean I now have to kill you because I SAW HIM FIRST!

iwantanewusername Mon 13-May-19 16:15:11

Yes!!

Mine has been Keanu Reeves for a very long time. It's always there in the background. At the moment it's also Chris Evans (Captain America).

I agree with CrinolineQueen about the crush/fantasy being a safe option.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 16:56:39

I guess we never see their bad side so it’s easy to idealise them right? Most men know exactly what they’re doing and target the female demo. Fascinating really.

TheWeeMacGregors Mon 13-May-19 17:15:49

Me! Me! When I was younger I had a real issue with Michael J Fox!!! Now they aren’t crushes but bursts of intense research I think! Andrew Scott recently, and Pascal from Narcos, but also Sam from Crashing, and Joshua Jackson & James VDB from
Dawson’s Creek! Old stuff. But also looking up Katie Holmes, Michelle Williams.. I don’t fancy them! I’m interested I think in seeing how people have aged, quite fascinated by Tony Slattery at the moment. I don’t understand it really.

RuffleCrow Mon 13-May-19 17:27:44

I think of it as a great barometer for what needs changing/tackling in my life.

I've just been through a Phoebe Waller Bridge phase - that taught me i need to find humourous, true-to-myself, ways of dealing with toxic family members and find ways to channel my own creativity.

Before that there was the David Tennant phase - which taught me similar things about dealing with people without losing my integrity and also made me think about a difficult family situation at a point where I needed to give it serious thought (I associate him with both my sisters as he was 'their' doctor).

I could go on, but you get the gist. It's very rarely just a physical attraction - theres always a lesson there. Just brain storm the first 10 qualities you associate with that person and you'll have an arrow pointing at things to tackle in your own life.

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 17:32:54

That’s incredibly insightful. If I were to do that super quickly for myself I would say it’s because I lack focus/discipline as Richard Armitage is extremely dedicated to his art and I admire that quality in him. I’m trying to work on various projects but am really struggling with feelings of failure. Ooh look at this getting deep now!!!

RussellSprout Mon 13-May-19 17:35:02

Not so much celebrities but I have a fixation on the ultra rich toffs frequently featured in the likes of Tatler, like Lady Mary Charteris and the Manners Girls (Duke of Rutland's daughters). The type referred to as 'It girls'.

I guess it would be nice to be young, beautiful, rich and titled and just swan around the globe doing nothing whilst putting up pics on instagram.. .I can dream!

CrinolineQueen Mon 13-May-19 17:37:28

The only thing I know about Lady Mary Charteris is that wedding dress she wore. Oh my!

Crazycatlady10 Mon 13-May-19 17:46:24

Oh god that dress was a sight to be seen! As long as she liked it I suppose..!

JessMariano Mon 13-May-19 20:32:50

Yes I do this. I also look at paparazzi pictures of them. And look at their relationship history blush

Yes what is it with Benedict Cumberbatch? I suppose his wife looks like she thinks all the red carpet stuff a bit beneath her, which is fair enough - I can’t seem to find any other reason for the crazy?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »