Talk

Advanced search

to be cheesed off that my dd's pre-school report is factually wrong?

(16 Posts)
Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 12:06:51

DD2 has just finished a play-groupy style nursery where she has attended for three hours a day, five days a week for the last year. Today she was given her report to take home. There are lots of positive comments on it but it says that she cannot do many things on her own, e.g. putting her coat on. This is completely laughable as she is ferociously independent and was dressing (including socks and shoes) from when she was 2 - i.e. before she even started there. One of the nursery leaders came up to me after playgroup last week to tell me how independent she is and how she helps the other girlies get their shoes and coats on for outdoor play. Her keyworker, who is a fairly inarticulate woman, wrote the report and I'm so grumpy that she couldn't get some basic facts about my daughter right! I know it's not a big deal, she's only a little tiddler and the important thing is that she CAN do this stuff. It just really irritates me that this dratted woman either hasn't bothered to get to know dd or just makes things up for the reports. Grrr. Do I sound too precious for words? I probably am being.

ruddynorah Wed 18-Jul-07 12:09:16

how crap.

tell her to re write it.

emj23 Wed 18-Jul-07 12:24:03

I don't think you're being unreasonable, it's quite right that you'd expect them to get their facts right about your daughter, they're probably getting her mixed up with another child.

My DS's report says he's not very good with using scissors and can't identify patterns and continue them, both of which I have seen him do perfectly well at home and at school. I think they find things to say children need to improve on just to fill up space on reports.

dmo Wed 18-Jul-07 12:29:48

this gets me so cross
i used to be a nursery nurse and had 16 children to write reports for and i would keep the reports at home and add things to them from time to time.
but most nursery nurses write the reports the last week of term which means thinking on your feet about the child (as normally they are written at home) and not giving a true picture of the child
its not far to the child or you the parents

as a childminder i still do observations and reports every month to see how the child has developed

rebelmum1 Wed 18-Jul-07 12:44:33

I got a report for my dd and didn't like it much, she's only 2 and it mentions how she can only concentrate for so long etc not grasped letters yet ?! I was really baffled that so much attention was on development at such an early age and disheartened that there was so little about her disposition and if she was happy, how she played. Has reporting become standardised? It just seemed to concentrate on the minutae. I came away thinking they don't know my child too.

Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 12:47:50

Thank you all - makes me feel a bit less of a precious mother hen. I'll have a word with the nursery manager tomorrow as I do think they should have got it right.

OrmIrian Wed 18-Jul-07 12:48:10

How strange!

I'm dreading DS#2's. "X has yet to master the rudiments of holding a pen, recognising his written name, counting to ten, but he can bark like a dog and run round and round on all fours very very fast indeed. Thanks to his older brothers he also has a very 'advanced' vocabulary for his age"

rebelmum1 Wed 18-Jul-07 12:53:49

no your not on your own, it just seemed so impersonal and detached to me and I know my dd is as bright as a button and as cheeky as a monkey

dmo Wed 18-Jul-07 12:57:57

anyway school reports should always focus on the posstives of a childs development

Howdydoody Wed 18-Jul-07 12:59:05

OrmIrian - that's so so sweet he can do that really fast lol, how old is he! Are you annoyed they have written it?
Furzella, I would be annoyed too, but prob not ask for a rewrite. Shame when people dont get to know the children, my dd's maths teacher has had her for a year and still cant spell her name right!

OrmIrian Wed 18-Jul-07 13:02:37

Oh no howdy - they didn't write it. It was just my idea of what they'd write! As it happens all the staff are in love with him which helps And yes, he is really really fast.

Howdydoody Wed 18-Jul-07 13:06:20

Oh sorry - i thought you wrote "I am reading ..." not "I am dreading..." still think it's so cute though, can imagine my LO getting that too, I would howl with laughter

OrmIrian Wed 18-Jul-07 13:09:15

My parents look after him every Wednesday and about a yr ago he was at the height of his dog fixation. They took him to a big garden centre and he went round the whole thing on all fours like a dog. Crowning moment was when he sniffed at one of the stands and then cocked his leg against it.

What I don't understand is why my parents don't get upset about it. He is sooo eccentric for a 4yr old. They just laugh. They would have died if DB or I had acted like that when were little.

Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 13:09:42

Howdydoody, I think you are right, I won't ask for a rewrite. It's more that I want the people in charge to know that this woman is not doing her job properly. She's got on my nerves all year as she never seems to get down and relate to the children at their level and has all the enthusiasm and social charm of a warthog. It's a slightly sensitive issue as apparently she had a very serious illness a few years ago and has never been quite the same since. It's great that the playgroup is such a supportive employer, but I'm fed up that she's given responsibility for things that she doesn't seem to be able to do effectively. And I'm hurt on my dd's behalf in a huffy, fusspot way (tosses hair).

Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 13:15:32

Ormrian, dd2 had a cat fixation for ages, particularly when getting out of the bath - had to be wrapped in a towel, pretending to be a cat in a parcel, then I'd have to go through an unbearably annoying routine of "oh look what the postman's brought, a little kitten, oh it's very wet...". Started by my mother, not me, I hasten to add. Aaauughghgh. Full on screeches if I refused. Fortunately when we got a real cat, dd was freaked out by him and hasn't been a little wet kitten since. Huge sighs of relief all round.

Howdydoody Wed 18-Jul-07 13:20:34

"Crowning moment was when he sniffed at one of the stands and then cocked his leg against it." I have actually splattered coffee over the screen!! Oh i love kids like that, brilliant. When he's 14 and you remind him of that (in front of his friends if possible) he will die - payback time is GREAT

Furzella - i have just checked where you live as one of our pg ladies is like your lady. Different area though! It's a tough one when they seem so disinterested, hope the other ladies make up for it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: